What's new

INFO : Radar Cross Section (RCS)

WarFariX

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Radar Cross Section
The size and ability of a target to reflect radar energy can be summarized into a single term, σ, known as the radar cross-section, which has units of m². This unit shows, that the radar cross section is an area. If absolutely all of the incident radar energy on the target were reflected equally in all directions, then the radar cross section would be equal to the target's cross-sectional area as seen by the transmitter. In practice, some energy is absorbed and the reflected energy is not distributed equally in all directions. Therefore, the radar cross-section is quite difficult to estimate and is normally determined by measurement.

The target radar cross sectional area depends of:

• the airplane’s physical geometry and exterior features,
  • the direction of the illuminating radar,
  • the radar transmitters frequency,
  • the used material types.
The use of stealth technology to reduce radar cross section increases the survivability and decreases the target detection of military aircraft. But the stealth technology depends of the used radar transmitters frequency and has none effect against VHF- radars like P–12 or P-18, both used by serbian air defense units during the Kosovo war.
sigma.gif
Figure 1: the experimental radar cross section of the B-26aircraft at 3 GHz frequency as a function of azimuth angle (after Skolnik)

Calculation of the radar cross section
Radar cross section (RCS) is the measure of a target's ability to reflect radar signals in the direction of the radar receiver, i.e. it is a measure of the ratio of backscatter density in the direction of the radar (from the target) to the power density that is intercepted by the target. Since the power is distributed on the shape of a sphere, a small part of this ((4·π·r2)) can be received by the radar.
Radar cross section σ is as defined as:

σ = 4·π·r2·Sr

mit
σ: measure of the target's ability to reflect radar signals in direction of the radar receiver, in [m²]
St: power density that is intercepted by the target, in [W/m²]
Sr: scattered power density in the range r, in [W/m²]

The RCS of a target can be viewed as a comparison of the strength of the reflected signal from a target to the reflected signal from a perfectly smooth sphere of cross sectional area of 1 m².

The following backscattering formulas from shapes occurs in an optical independent of frequency region.

streu1.gif

reflected signal from a spherical shape

σ max = π x R2

streu2.gif

reflected signal from a cylinder

σmax = (2·π·r·h2)/λ

streu3.gif

reflected signal from a flat plate

σmax = (4·π·b2·h2) / λ2

streu4.gif

reflected signal from a tilted plate

...Real as the previous example. Unusual feature: the reflected energy is reflected in another direction. Well, the transmitting radar cannot receive this energy. Therefore there are bistatic radars at which the transmitter and the receivers are separated from each other spatially.

RCS for Point-Like Targets

Some targets have large values of RCS owing to their size and orientation and consequently, reflect a large portion of the incident power. The beside table shows the values of RCS for some targets at X-Band

Targets.......................RCS[m2].............................RCS[dB]
bird.................................0.01....................................-20
man ...................................1........................................0
cabin cruiser ......................10.....................................10
automobile ........................100....................................20
truck .................................200......................................23
corner reflector ................20379..................................43.1

σ = 4·π·r2·Sr

mit
σ: measure of the target's ability to reflect radar signals in direction of the radar receiver, in [m²]
St: power density that is intercepted by the target, in [W/m²]
Sr: scattered power density in the range r, in [W/m²]
Something is wrong with this formula as sigma σ will be in Watt units as per the equation so St must be in the denominator
as
rcs.png

radartutorial.eu/01.basics/Radar Cross Section.en.html
As they say it needs little bit brain even to copy and would be great if read what you are sharing because the page agrees with me and not you... Just go and read and don' quote me again because I have no time for idiots and you are another addition to my ignore list.

As they say it needs little bit brain even to copy and would be great if read what you are sharing because the page agrees with me and not you... Just go and read and don' quote me again because I have no time for idiots and you are another addition to my ignore list.
u definitely deserve 11 negative ratings :-)..this forum is not meant to be personal..

Back
Top Bottom