What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Just wait few weeks will you

I quite don't agree with your very long term stragetic planning it has alot of holes which is neglecting the short term. I appreciate the long term ball game and understand that fully but you can do both and infact one has to do both.. Not just go with one... But all in all will tune in few weeks and we can pick this conversation up again me and you over a cop of tea.. I am not in rush

Woow... Really shocking news from Indonesia recently and its impact has shaken the whole Southeast Asia region... Want to ask .... whether these last big contracts have been agreed by Jokowi and his entire cabinet.. or (based on issues circulating) is Defense Minister Prabowo's own initiative or personal improvisation?

Woow... Really shocking news from Indonesia recently and its impact has shaken the whole Southeast Asia region... Want to ask .... whether these last big contracts have been agreed by Jokowi and his entire cabinet.. or (based on issues circulating) is Defense Minister Prabowo's own initiative or personal improvisation?

Look like Prabowo initiative and it is likely non binding preliminary contract. At least we know Minister of Defense Public Relation (Humas) doesnt answer CNBC Indonesia request about the contract for FREEM and for Rafale it is actually old news, French media said President Regulation (Peppress) is needed to pass it while that Pepress has been hot topic where now they are all silent

Indonesia signed a contract to procure 6 Fremm Berghamini frigates, Egypt for 2 others + 2 optional

إندونسيا تتعاقد على 6 فرقاطات فريم برجاميني ومصر على 2 أخريين وأمريكا على 10 فرقاطات

https://www.defense-arabic.com/2021/06/10/إندونسيا-تتعاقد-على-6-فرقاطات-فريم-برجا/

Jokowi may seem to have a rather hands-off approach regarding military modernization and procurement, but there's no way he would've just let Prabowo travel all over the world looking for high profile deals without his consent... Prabowo is part of his cabinet and still answers to Jokowi directly... This is different to, for example, the KFX deal where Jokowi (and his gov) wasn't involved at all and he feels it more like a burden from the previous gov...

However whether the current preliminary major deals signed will be agreed in its entirety, partially, or modified, is still something we will still have to wait and see... I doubt everyone in his cabinet has agreed, but that's common on every issue.. There will definitely be some sort of political horse trading between the gov and parliament for this to pass...

Erick Tohir IMO will try very hard to secure future market of Indonesia state owned defense holding by trying to scrap that Perpress and any defense deals made by Prabowo that can jeopardize local defense industry potential sales, particularly foreign defense equipment is in direct competition with his own ministry which is the boss of state owned defense holding.

He is IMO one of trusted Jokowi minister, while Prabowo is put into cabinet is for smoothing any process in parliament like recent Sri Mulyani attempt to tax even rices and other essential products sales (it shows she is pretty hard to make the budget healthy enough despite will face political backlash in the parliament and public).

Recent event by state owned defense holding

1623385128051.png

1623385241677.png

Last edited:
We don't need to spend that much. Just focus on getting in as many secondhand assets as we can. What we need the most is numbers right now, not the advancement of the assets.

SBY managed to bring in 24 secondhand F-16s (+6 for spares) for just $750 mil. If we only have $1.6 bil we can get about 50 used fighters (probably F-16 as well). Along with Flankers and T50 we'll have 100 fighters. That's enough for another 20 yrs.

I think there are plenty of secondhand warships and submarines for sale as well that we can get.

Erick Tohir IMO will try very hard to secure future market of Indonesia state owned defense holding by trying to scrap that Perpress draft and any defense deal made by Prabowo that can jeopardize local defense industry potential sales, particularly foreign defense equipment is in direct competition with his own ministry which is the boss of state owned defense holding.

He is IMO one of trusted Jokowi minister, while Prabowo is put into cabinet is for smoothing any process in parliament like recent Sri Mulyani attempt to tax even rices and other essential products sales (it shows she is pretty hard to make the budget healthy enough despite will face political backlash in the parliament and public).

Recent event by state owned defense holding

View attachment 752296
View attachment 752297

PT PAL shows 2 LPD intended for Hospital ships being build in their shipyard in their FB page. One vessel shows 95 % complete and the other one shows 40 % complete.

1623482933407.png

1623484796244.png

Last edited:
PT PAL also recently get guess from Parliament Commission 6 (Vice Chiarmand and 16 parliamen members) and high official from SOE Ministery, Miss Liliek Mayasari on 10 June 2021 in PT PAL office, Surabaya, East Java.

Commission 6 parliament (DPR) is parliament Commission responsible with Industry, Investment and business competition.

1623483265279.png

1623483345656.png

1623483437392.png

Prabowo just confirms what I said previously that it was Jokowi who send him out to do the deals.

Prabowo Says Plans To Go Shopping For Alutsista Rp1.7 Quadrillion Jokowi’s Instructions

Bisnis.com, JAKARTA – Minister of Defense Prabowo Subianto revealed that the planned purchase of defense equipment worth 1.7 trillion rupees came from a request from President Joko Widodo or Jokowi when he had only 10 days as minister.

Prabowo explained that Jokowi wanted great design or a master plan for the acquisition of defense equipment with long-term calculations up to the next 25 years.
“About 10 days after my appointment, I was in the Palace. He called me, he told Menhan I wanted a master plan, great design. I’m asking for 25 years not to get paid in installments, “Prabowo said in the Deddy Corbuzier podcast on Sunday (6/13/2021).
After the training, Prabowo then carried out a number of studies on the recent state of defense equipment in the country. The study included setting a budget cap that hit the 1.7 trillion rupee figure, which recently went viral in the community.
“This was indeed delayed due to the pandemic, so he waited quite a while,” said Prabowo.

At the same time, the project to purchase armaments worth 1 700 trillion IDR was known thanks to the dissemination of a draft presidential regulation (Perpres) on the satisfaction of the needs for defense and military equipment. Ministry of Defense and Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) security in 2020-2024.

In the project, Alpalhankam’s budget requirement for the 2020-2024 strategic plan reaches $ 124 billion, which is equivalent to around 1.7 trillion rupees. The defense system’s financing plan comes from foreign loans.
In a working meeting with Commission I, Prabowo said there was an urgent need to modernize defense equipment as part of the 2020-2024 defense strategy and general policies.

Prabowo just confirms what I said previously that it was Jokowi who send him out to do the deals.

Prabowo Says Plans To Go Shopping For Alutsista Rp1.7 Quadrillion Jokowi’s Instructions

Bisnis.com, JAKARTA – Minister of Defense Prabowo Subianto revealed that the planned purchase of defense equipment worth 1.7 trillion rupees came from a request from President Joko Widodo or Jokowi when he had only 10 days as minister.

Prabowo explained that Jokowi wanted great design or a master plan for the acquisition of defense equipment with long-term calculations up to the next 25 years.
“About 10 days after my appointment, I was in the Palace. He called me, he told Menhan I wanted a master plan, great design. I’m asking for 25 years not to get paid in installments, “Prabowo said in the Deddy Corbuzier podcast on Sunday (6/13/2021).
After the training, Prabowo then carried out a number of studies on the recent state of defense equipment in the country. The study included setting a budget cap that hit the 1.7 trillion rupee figure, which recently went viral in the community.
“This was indeed delayed due to the pandemic, so he waited quite a while,” said Prabowo.

At the same time, the project to purchase armaments worth 1 700 trillion IDR was known thanks to the dissemination of a draft presidential regulation (Perpres) on the satisfaction of the needs for defense and military equipment. Ministry of Defense and Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI) security in 2020-2024.

In the project, Alpalhankam’s budget requirement for the 2020-2024 strategic plan reaches $ 124 billion, which is equivalent to around 1.7 trillion rupees. The defense system’s financing plan comes from foreign loans.
In a working meeting with Commission I, Prabowo said there was an urgent need to modernize defense equipment as part of the 2020-2024 defense strategy and general policies.

“A lot of our defense equipment is old and it is time for it to be urgently replaced. These needs are very important so that we are ready to face the dynamics of the strategic environment which is developing very quickly”, he explained to the Parliament complex, Senayan, Jakarta, Wednesday (2/6/2021). ).
According to party chairman Gerindra, the budget plan for the purchase of defense equipment in the amount of 1.7 quadrillion rupees is still being discussed with Bappenas, the Ministry of Finance and other stakeholders. .
Asked about the amount of foreign loans for financing, Prabowo was also hesitant to explain. “It’s being discussed, it’s being planned,” he said.

LOL Jokowi ask for grand design for 25 years ahead, that of course will include many thing like local industrialization and others......

And then this stupid plan from Prabowo comes as the answer of that request, where it is still being worked in Prabowo office, it hasnt been approved by Jokowi himself

Jokowi main strategy in defense spending is very clear, it should be for investment for local defense industry

Last edited:
LOL Jokowi ask for grand design for 45 years ahead, that of course will include many thing like local industrialization and others......

And then this stupid plan from Prabowo comes, where it is still being worked in Prabowo office, it hasnt been approved by Jokowi himself

Why would Jokowi send him overseas to do negotations in the first place if it was not his plan? Your think tank tag is falling apart here.. It is simple thing and you should have been able to see that you somehow missed to pick up on that little piece

Why would Jokowi send him overseas to do negotations in the first place if it was not his plan? Your think tank tag is falling apart here.. It is simple thing and you should have been able to see that

Why you are so hard on somebody else country problem ???

Minister is not a kid where any thing he does is given by Presiden. He can go around of course without President approval. This simple thing is even you dont understand.

As I said, just see some weeks to see some clear picture

The reason this big plan is not yet coming to President office is known from President Advisor who knows nothing with this Prabowo plan during interview that you can see on several pages behind, particularly if you understand Indonesian language.

She also shows rejection on the plan

Why you are so hard on somebody else country problem ???

Minister is not a kid where any thing he does is given by Presiden. He can go around of course without President approval. This simple thing is even you dont understand.

As I said, just see some weeks to see some clear picture

The reason this big plan is not yet coming to President office is known from President Advisor who knows nothing with this Prabowo plan during interview that you can see on several pages behind, particularly if you understand Indonesian language.

She also shows rejection on the plan

She has no say in all of this but it is the president and his on board.. Lets wait and see. But you will be disappointed just be warned. Jokowi wouldn't waste Prabowo time in the first place by sending him out or demanding that from him in his first 10 day. Simple calculation

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom