What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Makassar Class was a joint project with Daewoo/Daesun SK.. a learning project for PAL to be exact..
There are 4 ships all.. first 2 was built in Korea, the last 2 was built by PT. PAL in Indonesia with assistance from Daesun.
PT. PAL have years of experience in building merchant/tanker ships up to 50.000 DWT but lack the experience to build large size strategic military ship. The Makassar class project was the learning process for PT. PAL building large navy ship.

The new LPD 125 m ordered by Philippine is designed and will be manufactured by PT. PAL in its own shipyard in Surabaya, Indonesia.

PT. PAL's LPD design for Philippine Navy.

LPD_Buatan_PT_PAL.jpg

Another domestic shipbuilder, Lundin North Sea Boats came out with their own design and built a trimaran stealth missile ship named KRI Klewang, the first of its class.. but unfortunately the ship had an accident and was heavily burned before they handed it over to Indonesian Navy. Replacement ship is currently in process.

North Sea Boats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Navy vessel catches fire in Banyuwangi | The Jakarta Post

Overall, we are still in learning stage.. Right now, 3 of our biggest arms manufacturer (PINDAD, PAL, DI) are in joint development with (or taking assistance from) foreign companies that have the technology needed to build submarines, frigates, tanks, and fighter jets.. the aim is to learn as much as possible.. our hope is to be able to self provide highest tech military tools for our own armed forces in the future.
Good every second I hear about Indonesia Navy getting new ships or starting to build new ships same goes for Army but for Air Force big question mark ??????????????????????????????

We are not going to have any war with China for the next 10 years........Only fools who will believe it. But we will have insyaALLAH economic power that becomes top ten in the world in 2024, based on many international institution projection. Our KFX/IFX stealth fighter insyaALLAH will be ready also, thanks to ALLAH that Lockheed Martin is ready to help this project.

But, I hope Indonesia and China can be closed friend and solve this "nine dot issue" as soon as possible.
Hey Indos please give detail information about Uniform your Army uses and also small weapons and what is approximately size of your Army and their weapons from Army I mean only Ground Force not Air Force and Navy

Minimum Essential Force (MEF) 2010–present[edit]
In the visit of US President Barack Obama on November 9–10, 2010 in Jakarta, TNI-AU Force was offered 24 ex-USAF F-16 Fighting Falcon Block 32 for free.[23] In October 2011, the House of Representatives has approved the grant. The fighter jets will be upgraded similar to the latest Block 50/52 variant with payment.[24] TNI-AU also progressing in reactivation of the entire 10 units of F-16 Fighting Falcon Block 15 OCU, which resulted in the reactivation of TS-1606, TS-1609 and TS-1612 recently.[25] To replace Fokker F-27, TNI-AU has ordered 9 Spanish CASA C-295 in joint production with PT. Dirgantara Indonesia. New unmanned aerial vehicle will also be purchased to strengthen TNI-AU aerial observation in Supadio Air Force Base, Pontianak, Kalimantan Barat.

Starting in 2010,[26] Minister of Defense Purnomo Yusgiantoro stated that TNI-AU will gradually purchase a total of 180 Su-27 and Su-30 to complete the needs of 10 squadrons.[27] India also offered TNI-AU Indian-Russian made BrahMos missiles to equip its Su-27 and Su-30 Flankers.[28]

TNI-AU Boeing 737-2X9 in 2011
Indonesia signed a memorandum of understanding to participate in the KFX programme in July 2010 and the terms of agreement was signed in 2011. Indonesia would finance 20 percent share of the project and will receive 50 jet fighters in return while South Korea will get 200 jets. Defense ministry spokesman claimed that the jet fighter would be higher in class than F-16 but lower than F-35. The project was started in 2009 and the first prototype will roll out in 2020. Indonesia has also signed an MOU with China to produce C-705 missiles which will arm the Sukhoi jet fighters.[29]

In April 2011,[30] Indonesia confirmed that it will buy 16 supersonic trainer jets KAI T-50 Golden Eagle from South Korea for up to $400 million after an evaluation of theYakovlev Yak-130, Guizhou JL-9/FTC-2000 Mountain Eagle and Aero L-159 ALCA. It will replace BAE Hawk MK-53 trainer jets. Deliveries were completed by January 2014 and were commissioned on February 13, 2014.[31]

In June 2011, Indonesia signed the final contract for 8 Super Tucano as the replacement for the OV-10 Bronco in the counter-insurgency role [32] with a second contract for a further 8 aircraft in July 2012.[33] The first four units arrived in March 2012 with deliveries to complete by 2014.[34]

In August 2011,[35] Indonesia announced that it would acquire 18 Grob G120TP for its basic trainer requirements which would likely replace the FFA AS-202 Bravo and Beechcraft T-34 Mentor trainers.

On December 29, 2011 Indonesia committed to purchase 6 Sukhoi Su-30MK2 jet fighters in a $470 million procurement contract signed by the Defense Ministry and Russia's JSC Rosoboronexport.[36] Deliveries will reportedly start after 2013.[37]

In January 2012, the Australian and Indonesian governments are processing the transfer of 4 used Lockheed Martin C-130H Hercules aircraft to the Indonesian Air Force in 2012 which has been approved by the US as the Hercules' producer. In the 1960s, Indonesia was the first foreign user of the heavy tactical transport aircraft.[38]

In January 2014, defence minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said that he hoped to start the replacement of the F-5 fighters under the upcoming 2015 to 2020 strategic plan. Indonesian Air Force (TNI-AU) has 4 candidates consisting of Su-35, Saab JAS 39 Gripen, Dassault Rafale, and F-16 C/D Block 60[39]
I hope everything mentioned in this post becomes true @Indos @madokafc @Reashot Xigwin

Minimum Essential Force (MEF) 2010–present[edit]
In the visit of US President Barack Obama on November 9–10, 2010 in Jakarta, TNI-AU Force was offered 24 ex-USAF F-16 Fighting Falcon Block 32 for free.[23] In October 2011, the House of Representatives has approved the grant. The fighter jets will be upgraded similar to the latest Block 50/52 variant with payment.[24] TNI-AU also progressing in reactivation of the entire 10 units of F-16 Fighting Falcon Block 15 OCU, which resulted in the reactivation of TS-1606, TS-1609 and TS-1612 recently.[25] To replace Fokker F-27, TNI-AU has ordered 9 Spanish CASA C-295 in joint production with PT. Dirgantara Indonesia. New unmanned aerial vehicle will also be purchased to strengthen TNI-AU aerial observation in Supadio Air Force Base, Pontianak, Kalimantan Barat.

Starting in 2010,[26] Minister of Defense Purnomo Yusgiantoro stated that TNI-AU will gradually purchase a total of 180 Su-27 and Su-30 to complete the needs of 10 squadrons.[27] India also offered TNI-AU Indian-Russian made BrahMos missiles to equip its Su-27 and Su-30 Flankers.[28]

TNI-AU Boeing 737-2X9 in 2011
Indonesia signed a memorandum of understanding to participate in the KFX programme in July 2010 and the terms of agreement was signed in 2011. Indonesia would finance 20 percent share of the project and will receive 50 jet fighters in return while South Korea will get 200 jets. Defense ministry spokesman claimed that the jet fighter would be higher in class than F-16 but lower than F-35. The project was started in 2009 and the first prototype will roll out in 2020. Indonesia has also signed an MOU with China to produce C-705 missiles which will arm the Sukhoi jet fighters.[29]

In April 2011,[30] Indonesia confirmed that it will buy 16 supersonic trainer jets KAI T-50 Golden Eagle from South Korea for up to $400 million after an evaluation of theYakovlev Yak-130, Guizhou JL-9/FTC-2000 Mountain Eagle and Aero L-159 ALCA. It will replace BAE Hawk MK-53 trainer jets. Deliveries were completed by January 2014 and were commissioned on February 13, 2014.[31]

In June 2011, Indonesia signed the final contract for 8 Super Tucano as the replacement for the OV-10 Bronco in the counter-insurgency role [32] with a second contract for a further 8 aircraft in July 2012.[33] The first four units arrived in March 2012 with deliveries to complete by 2014.[34]

In August 2011,[35] Indonesia announced that it would acquire 18 Grob G120TP for its basic trainer requirements which would likely replace the FFA AS-202 Bravo and Beechcraft T-34 Mentor trainers.

On December 29, 2011 Indonesia committed to purchase 6 Sukhoi Su-30MK2 jet fighters in a $470 million procurement contract signed by the Defense Ministry and Russia's JSC Rosoboronexport.[36] Deliveries will reportedly start after 2013.[37]

In January 2012, the Australian and Indonesian governments are processing the transfer of 4 used Lockheed Martin C-130H Hercules aircraft to the Indonesian Air Force in 2012 which has been approved by the US as the Hercules' producer. In the 1960s, Indonesia was the first foreign user of the heavy tactical transport aircraft.[38]

In January 2014, defence minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said that he hoped to start the replacement of the F-5 fighters under the upcoming 2015 to 2020 strategic plan. Indonesian Air Force (TNI-AU) has 4 candidates consisting of Su-35, Saab JAS 39 Gripen, Dassault Rafale, and F-16 C/D Block 60[39]
I hope everything mentioned in this post becomes true @Indos @madokafc @Reashot Xigwin

well all of the acquisition goes smoothly excepts for the C-705 parts only

for the last parts, we want to buy more than one squadrons fighters for our next rearmament programme, looking the gloomy clouds which has shadowing the entire South Chinese Seas recently

I don't think Indonesia will have a war with China... at least not until China acquired the whole SCS and draw a new 18 dash line.

And yeah, I'm with @nufix... I thank the Chinese member here too for being so honest on what they're thinking... I hope their words could reach the lazy fools in our parliament and govt to wake them up.. make them increase the military spending even more.

It was the Malaysian and Singaporean's behavior that caused our military rebuilding.. Now with the big Chinese show their true color, I hope they stomp the gas to the max. so yeah.. thanks. :D

Good every second I hear about Indonesia Navy getting new ships or starting to build new ships same goes for Army but for Air Force big question mark ??????????????????????????????

easy brother.. strengthening our AF is a sure thing.. certainly not neglected.

Right now we are expanding and build several new air base for the AF across the country.. why else do you think we do that if we don't have the mean and plan to increase the number and strength of our Air Force?.

And about the MEF you posted, good news is they have plan to accelerate it (the second MEF). :-)

Last edited:
Brand New Indonesian Air Force One arrived today at Halim Perdana Kusuma Airport.

Boeing Business Jet 2 type.

Indogov.jpg

my friend,

Indonesia as a sovereign entity, a sovereign nation must answer their call with dignity and timely precise answer with resolute strength

Right now they had crossed our Naval border with ill intent, and malice intention, what kind of answer you think deserve for them?

We can help them to get back their historic places as they want and they had claimed before, which is beneath the floor of South Chinese Sea together with their ancestor in shipwrecks.

Yes sis, that is a crazy move, but I believe China current leadership still has a good rational, so l still think the leadership will not give any chance for any superiority complex sufferer to direct China policy into their own sick plot that can lead China into a real political isolation.

By the way, I dont know that China really crossed our naval border ? Is it true or just disinformation made by another group ? I haven't heard that in our local media. I think if it is true, it should be informed to the press, so we can get more political support to improve our defense industry and military.

Yes sis, that is a crazy move, but I believe China current leadership still has a good rational, so l still think the leadership will not give any chance for any superiority complex sufferer to direct China policy into their own sick plot that can lead China into a real political isolation.

By the way, I dont know that China really crossed our naval border ? Is it true or just disinformation made by another group ? I haven't heard that in our local media. I think if it is true, it should be informed to the press, so we can get more political support to improve our defense industry and military.

From what i know, our current Government worked very hard to suppress this issues into public because the consequences will be very grave for already good relationship between PRC and Indonesia. They are prefer to solving this issue by the backstage of International Political discussions and diplomatic ways, until now too they are working hard to suppress this issues and trying to solve the problems with their way. Our government is a realist, they know they can't handle China alone with a sheer weights of Nationalism alone like the Philippine has shown recently. But in the fields, TNI itself is very frustrating to handle these issues alone, yes alone. TNI with the help of Department of fisheries and Maritime, handle the ever increasing China fisherman and border patrol incursion into our border. They don't get enough public supports, they don't get enough budget to handle these incursion (in regards we don't have Coast Guard Department until now). And i think, Ajrul Zani had become TNI representative about this issues with his statement in which never been denied by TNI itself and only be denied by the Ministry of Foreign Affair himself directly is enough for us to consider how far the gravity of this matter.

I am afraid, someday this issues will be blown up and got a more nasty tastes than the current spat between Indonesia-Australia. I am afraid .....

Hey Indos please give detail information about Uniform your Army uses and also small weapons and what is approximately size of your Army and their weapons from Army I mean only Ground Force not Air Force and Navy

I think Madokafc is more knowledgeable than me in term of military stuff, but in term of small weapon, we rely at our PT PINDAD products. I think SS2 V4 and SS3 is a good rifle, much better than SS-1. SS2 is our own design (not using FNC design any more like SS-1), a combination of M-16 and AK-47, and SS2 V4 should be much better than the original SS2 in term of shooting quality and its waterproof, but I never use it .....even though I really want it :D
378034c5327e8c5dea.jpg

More info about our SS-2 Pindad
Forces Military » Asia Assault Rifle » Weapons SS2 Pindad Shows Reliability As a World-Class Weapons
Weapons SS2 Pindad Shows Reliability As a World-Class Weapons
10:59 PM Time Zero No comments

SS2 Assault Rifle Some Type

forcesmilitary.blogspot.com - This is evidenced by the success of the Army contingent became the overall champion in the arena of international shooting competition. This time Shoot team managed to become the overall champion in the shooting competition the Australian Army Skill Arms Meeting (AASAM) 2010 which took place at Puckapunyal Victoria Australia from December 6 to 20 May 2010. Army Shooting Team managed to gain 22 gold medals, 13 silver medals and 14 bronze medals.

pindad_ss2-v5.jpg

SSI-V1 Made PT.PINDAD -Indonesian Military
In the race AASAM 2010, Army shooter to send 10 athletes and 5 official. The shooter is the soldiers who are selectively chosen and given the variety of material about the ability to shoot. Army contingent led by Lieutenant Colonel. Inf. Budiman Danyonif Airborne 328/Kostrad.

The success of Indonesian contingent became overall champion for the second time in addition supported by the ability and readiness of the Army shooter team is also supported by the quality and reliability of weapons produced by PT. Pindad (Persero), assault rifles SS2 - V4. This is a proud achievement for the achievement of the Army in particular and Indonesia in general.

Competition is an event AASAM shooting competition between the Armed Forces of the international scale, followed by countries - countries in Asia Pacific, Europe and countries - the Commonwealth. AASAM held since 1984 and this year attended by 10 countries namely Australia, Brunei, Indonesia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, East Timor, France and Canada.

SS-2-Pindad-520x390.jpg

Indonesian Made SS2 Assault Rifle PT.Pindad
SS2 is a new generation assault rifle caliber 5.56 x 45 mm with a barrel rotation 7?. Lightweight, reliable and high accuracy, using a folding stock to make it flexible for use as needed. This weapon can use mechanical or optical sight and can also be equipped with various accessories, including silencers, bayonet, grenade launcher types, and others. This gun also has developed into various types of long barrel and short barrel, either by using mechanical or optical sight, according to the needs of its operations.

Actually we have been 3 times winning this championship which also include USA, British, and French as another participants by using our Pindad rifle.

Last edited:
when will indonesia recieve its Ada Class corvettes?

TuHeybeliada.PNG

SE Asia’s biggest peacekeeping,
antiterror training camp opens
Yuliasri Perdani, The Jakarta Post, Bogor, West Java | Headlines | Tue, April 08 2014, 9:21 AM

UNUN.jpg

New hope for peace: Indonesian Military (TNI) armed personnel carriers, which are assigned to the international peacekeeping mission, stand guard at the newly built Indonesia Peace and Security Center (IPSC) in Sentul, West Java, on Monday. President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono inaugurated the IPSC on Monday. JP/Jerry Adiguna

At a cost of around Rp 1.64 trillion (US$145 million), Southeast Asia’s largest training center for counterterrorism and United Nations (UN) peacekeeping officially commenced operations on Monday.

President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono inaugurated the Indonesia Peace and Security Center (IPSC), in Sentul, West Java, which will provide world-class training for local and international stakeholders.

“This center is proof of Indonesia’s commitment to maintaining global peace, as stipulated in the 1945 Constitution,” Yudhoyono said in his speech at the inauguration ceremony.

The 262-hectare compound was constructed by the Defense Ministry in 2010, consisting of seven offices and training centers operated by, among others, the Indonesian Military (TNI), the National Police and the National Counterterrorism Agency (BNPT).

BNPT chairman Ansyaad Mbai said the agency’s training center would provide soldiers and police with the skills to handle terrorist-linked hijacks. For that, the agency has provided a mock-up of a passenger aircraft, a train, a ship and a hotel.

Ansyaad said that in the future, the facility would accommodate de-radicalization classes for terrorist convicts. “It’s an integrated center for all stakeholders in the field of counterterrorism,” he said.

In relation to military purposes, the center will provide training for UN peacekeeping troops as well as a base for standby military personnel awaiting emergency deployment.

The compound also consists of comprehensive sports facilities and a language-training center.

Aside from a 600-meter shooting range, the compound is also equipped with simulated villages that resemble those of Congo and Lebanon — countries where Indonesian peacekeeping personnel will be deployed.

The compound also houses a disaster-management training camp and the Indonesian Defense
University.

Defense Minister Purnomo Yusgiantoro said that the compound was Southeast Asia’s largest international training facility, the construction of which was partly funded by the US and Australia. “The US helped to construct the military barracks, while Australia established the language center,” said Purnomo.

The ministry has planted 114,641 trees and constructed three lakes at the complex that can function as water-absorption areas and training grounds for TNI peacekeepers.

“We’ve also built two water-treatment plants for the distillation of drinking water” Purnomo added.

During the speech, Yudhoyono said that Indonesia had an obligation as a UN member to maintain international peace. “We have a challenge to be involved in military operations other than war, that’s why we built the center,” he said.

Yudhoyono said that Indonesia currently ranked 17 in the list of countries sending the largest contingents of troops for UN peacekeeping missions.

The President hoped that in the next year or two, the country hoped to be in the top ten.

“Currently, we have 2,000 peacekeepers and we hope that the number can be doubled in the next one or two years. If the numbers reached 4,000, then we would be in the top-ten list,” he said.

Yudhoyono said that Syria might potentially be Indonesia’s next peacekeeping mission if the Syrian government and the rebels approved a cease-fire between them.

The president himself has experience as a peacekeeping soldier during the conflict between Bosnia Herzegovina and Serbia from 1995 to 1996.

During that mission, Indonesia also sent civilian police officers and military experts to the area. (gda)

SE Asia’s biggest peacekeeping, antiterror training camp opens | The Jakarta Post

For all Indonesian member, please keep your cool and calms. Those Chinese members starting to show their color. Just keep to ignore the trolls

From what i know, our current Government worked very hard to suppress this issues into public because the consequences will be very grave for already good relationship between PRC and Indonesia. They are prefer to solving this issue by the backstage of International Political discussions and diplomatic ways, until now too they are working hard to suppress this issues and trying to solve the problems with their way. Our government is a realist, they know they can't handle China alone with a sheer weights of Nationalism alone like the Philippine has shown recently. But in the fields, TNI itself is very frustrating to handle these issues alone, yes alone. TNI with the help of Department of fisheries and Maritime, handle the ever increasing China fisherman and border patrol incursion into our border. They don't get enough public supports, they don't get enough budget to handle these incursion (in regards we don't have Coast Guard Department until now). And i think, Ajrul Zani had become TNI representative about this issues with his statement in which never been denied by TNI itself and only be denied by the Ministry of Foreign Affair himself directly is enough for us to consider how far the gravity of this matter.

I am afraid, someday this issues will be blown up and got a more nasty tastes than the current spat between Indonesia-Australia. I am afraid .....
@madokafc Please post pictures of Uniforms used by your Army and also details of their numbers and weapons

Back
Top Bottom