What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

My point is, Vietnam doesn't have any problem putting more missile on that small platform since their maritime territory is relatively limited, compared to, let's say Indonesia. They can utillize that firepower to their advantages. Especially if we consider SCS maritime dispute with China in mind.

In case of Indonesia, we have very vast sea with diverse characteristic and have relatively low threat. So we need more hull to establish present and control at sea as priority. With relatively low production & operational cost, KCR-40 & KCR-60 are our effort to answer this specific challange, to establish present and control at sea.

For more heavy duty job, we have SIGMA, for our future frigate. SIGMA design in my opinion can be adopted for OPV and corvette or even can be developed further into destroyer.

@BoQ77, do you have info about the production cost for tarantul-class corvette, complete with all the armament?

KCR-60 hull production cost is around 12 million. Let's say we add 10 million more for armament, that around 22 million. We can get 3 units KCR-60 for 1 Tarantul-class.

Thanks. Well explained.

facepalm... lol. apparently i wasn't clear b4....
guys please stop comparing tarantula and kcr60.
i am gonna rewrite some stuff i already write on my previous post.
1. different navies has different point of view of ship classes. and there are no international standard for this. for example a frigate for one navy might be as big as a destroyer for another.
2. our own navy too has a different point of view of warship classes.
example:
> for our navy the corvettes are: Bung Tomo class, Diponegoro class, Fatahillah class, Pattimura class. all of which have different spec for different operation.
>and then we have the "Fast missile Boat" (KCR) classes (or the way i see it they are a beefier-patrol-boat class or a light-corvette class).
3. the russian navy has a "unique" point of view of naval warfare. combining this and my point no1, they have tarantula class, which is a corvette.
4. kcr60 was not design as a corvette in mind. it was design based on the need of the navy. the reason why we need them is because our ocean is freakishly huge with islands everywhere. and i hope they continually build these ships...

*does this mean that our country should developed kcr 60 into a corvette?
no.. learn something from it's development, sure.. but don't start there..
*does this mean that our country never gonna develop our own navy's corvette class or frigate class?
no.. nobody says that.. think of all the investment that went into shipbuilding and supporting industries so far! it's heading somewhere...
*does this mean that our country should stop building these kcr?
no.. they are functional. the reason why some people think that they seems to be underpowered because they keep on comparing it to a different class from a different navies that has different point of view of warship classes and different needs... please stop doing that...

Thanks. Very well explained.

I dont think Vietnam put less weapon on Molniya for more operational days, they use another platform TT400 or DN2000 for that.
TT400 hull cost about 1 million, during few year Vietnam built dozen of them.

Tarantul and its AShM or TT-400 now all built domestically, so it's cheaper than quoted,
viet-nam-trinh-lang-phien-ban-ten-lua-kh35e-noi-dia_5529344.jpg

anh-qs-an-tuong-tuan-ten-lua-kct-15-cua-viet-nam.jpg

TT-400 Navy variant:
VN1_soha.vn-d2fe2.jpg

TT-400 Coastguard variant
canh-sat-bien-viet-nam-sap-nhan-du-9-tau-tuan-tra-tt400.jpg

canh-sat-bien-viet-nam-sap-nhan-du-9-tau-tuan-tra-tt400.jpg

DN-2000 class ( built domesticallly ) 8x in commission. It's a Damen 9014
img-3881-1412402750079.JPG

20150831075839-20.jpg

Thanks. Well explained, and Vietnam shipbuilding industry is quite impressive. Are they all state owned?

BTW, one need to consider the Molniya and tarantul class is top heavy design, optimized for littoral operation in Baltic and Black Sea, not to mention they are using COGOG engines in which very consuming if be used at their low to middle rates speed so the theoretically 10 days operation is usually less, especially if they must facing high seas water area in which need more work rates for their engines compared to the calm seas. That's why Indonesian Navy is not to fond with Russian combat boat design, regarding the specific task in our Naval planner mind to cope with Indonesian challenges.

FPB 57 meter, designed along with Lurrsen shipyard is one the closest we had compared to Molniya class

ab79b9edc978ee1ed7793fc100bf2cbd.jpg

Thanks. Well explained, and Vietnam shipbuilding industry is quite impressive. Are they all state owned?

They are all military shipyards who build those ships. Others are both state owned, or private
FYI, the ships are for confront China CG on daily basis, not for show.

Last edited:
Will you buy F-35B for this, it's very special one

Nope, Su 27/30 and Su 35 is enough for long distance operation as we just want to protect our territory.

But Apache Guardian who has naval attack capability can be put into that LPD, just wait for their coming

Apache-HMS-Illustrious.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom