What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Indonesia planning minister has approved Scorpene acquisition for one submarine in 2022 Green Book and two submarine in 2023 Blue book. But now lets Finance Minister decide, the ball is now in her.

View attachment 900984

While both F15 EX and FREEM acqusition havent been passing the Minister of Planning approval yet, which I hope they both shouldnt be passed. Too expensive and cannot face our future challenge while we have already had KF21/IFX program going on and PT PAL and Babcock cooperation with their frigates design (Arrowhead).

Bro i got that you really wanted KF-X, we all do.

But our Air Force posture is literally DYING right now and we need immediate options to enhance our AF posture. That being said All of these new Airframes will have their roles.
  • KF-X/IF-X to replace Hawk Series (and definitely this option will not be ready anytime soon not to mention combat proven)
  • Rafale to replace F-16 Squad
  • F-15EX definitely to replace ageing Sukhois (which now have become a regular hangar queen). F-15EX definitely if we decided to buy, will arrive much sooner than KF-X and we all know their reputation in the air already.
The key word is How fast we can get the armaments, you said it that we have immediate potential threat up north. do you think conflict will wait until we have KF-X/IF-X ready?

So why the fuss over EX and FREMM?

FREMM purchase is also related to timeline, just take example of our so called "Merah Putih Figate the ArrowHead 140", how long does they take to just cut the first steel? this is due to the ToT process and ship redesigning.

FREMM purchase arrangement, 4 will be built by fincantieri (no re-design) while the last 2 will be in PT PAL. At least we will have a good headway for the first 4 of the ships.

Bro i got that you really wanted KF-X, we all do.

But our Air Force posture is literally DYING right now and we need immediate options to enhance our AF posture. That being said All of these new Airframes will have their roles.
  • KF-X/IF-X to replace Hawk Series (and definitely this option will not be ready anytime soon not to mention combat proven)
  • Rafale to replace F-16 Squad
  • F-15EX definitely to replace ageing Sukhois (which now have become a regular hangar queen). F-15EX definitely if we decided to buy, will arrive much sooner than KF-X and we all know their reputation in the air already.
The key word is How fast we can get the armaments, you said it that we have immediate potential threat up north. do you think conflict will wait until we have KF-X/IF-X ready?

So why the fuss over EX and FREMM?

FREMM purchase is also related to timeline, just take example of our so called "Merah Putih Figate the ArrowHead 140", how long does they take to just cut the first steel? this is due to the ToT process and ship redesigning.

FREMM purchase arrangement, 4 will be built by fincantieri (no re-design) while the last 2 will be in PT PAL. At least we will have a good headway for the first 4 of the ships.

Budget constrain, we cannot take them all, it is not a secret anymore that our defense budget is always below 1 % of GDP. We have to select the acquisition plan wisely, economically, and strategically. We will see I think until 2023 November what our government will finally take.

My opinion is very rational, current Armed Force commander for example has the same opinion with me, he once criticizes Prabowo acquisition plan publicly in front of media right ? And next Armed Force commander is also stated the same not long ago.

Defense budget next year is also not much different with current defense budget where we are having difficulty to pay our financial contribution for KF21/IFX program. Prabowo wants to solve this by using Korean loan, but our planning minister against it, he wants the payment is taken directly from Defense Ministry budget, without foreign loan backing just like what happened in previous payments. The document over this has already been leaked.

For next year Indonesia is reported to do the payment again around 30 million USD in 2023, but that amount is too small compared to overall Indonesia obligation. It shows even without F15 EX, FREEM, and scorpene order our defense budget is already showing difficulty to pay our financial obligation for KF21/IFX program. From those three I mentioned, I prefer picking scorpene acquisition since the submarine will be built in Indonesia and there is cooperation with battery technology as well.

---------------------------------------------

MILITARY SPENDING IN ASIA​

16 Jun 2022
How much do Asian countries spend on their military?

Asia Military Spending, Percentage to GDP

1669615753706.png

Last edited:
Budget constrain, we cannot take them all, it is not a secret anymore that our defense budget is always below 1 % of GDP. We have to select the acquisition plan wisely, economically, and strategically. We will see I think until 2023 November what our government will finally take.

My opinion is very rational, current Armed Force commander for example has the same opinion with me, he once criticizes Prabowo acquisition plan publicly in front of media right ? And next Armed Force commander is also stated the same not long ago.

Armed Force Commander Suggests to Minister of Defense Prabowo Regarding Defense Equipment Acquisition, Be Realistic According to Budget that government has provided

Last edited:
Securing President recent visit to Kalimantan island

1669736712816.png

1669736733318.png

1669736756321.png

1669736779878.png

Pakistani PM extends condolences​

• Wednesday, 30 Nov 2022

PAKISTANI Prime Minister Shahbaz Sharif has extended condolences to Indonesian President Joko Widodo over the loss of precious lives and assets in a deadly earthquake jolting Indonesia, according to a statement issued by the prime minister’s office.

In a telephone conversation held with the Indonesian president on Monday, the Pakistani prime minister expressed solidarity with the people of Indonesia.

“The people of Pakistan could feel the anguish of their Indonesian brothers and sisters, having recently suffered immensely due to natural calamities,” the statement quoted Sharif as saying.

Thanking the Indonesian president for the assistance provided by his government for the victims of floods in Pakistan, the prime minister offered to extend Pakistan’s support for relief efforts underway in Indonesia in the wake of the deadly earthquake, said the statement. — Xinhua

My take on next Indonesia President

Regarding next Indonesia President, I expect it will likely be between Ganjar Pranowo and Anies Baswedan. Prabowo is in second place based on majority of 2022 survey. His popularity is in decreasing mode as last year he was still the most popular candidate for President.

I think after Anies is backed by Nasdem Party and then soon will likely be endorsed by Demokrat and PKS Parties as well, his popularity will likely be boosted and I expect in middle of November survey (the result will be released in December 2022) he will likely sit in the second place after Ganjar Pranowo.

AlhamduliLLAH, the trend seems to be going in line with both my prediction and expectation. Charta Politika is quite credible, although I rate Indikator and LSI as the most credible survey company in Indonesia.

Here my prediction on those three people

Ganjar
: He will likely follow Jokowi policy in economy and defense. His chance is only with Golkar/PPP/PAN coalition. PDI-P is unlikely to support him. So far he is not allowed to talk about Presidency by his party, so we dont know his plan on both economy and defense, but due to Jokowi support on him, his policy is likely pretty similar on how Jokowi administration policy on both economic and defense.

For defense, maybe will be more similar with Jokowi first term as there is no Prabowo as Defense Minister anymore in his possible administration. Larger spending on defense in the second Jokowi administration shows Jokowi tolerance as he had brough Prabowo into his ruling coalition.

Jokowi also has big tendency to support local defense industry in term of the acquisition. It can be seen on the first term acquisition tendency, he is regarded as very pro local products and his administration tries so hard to improve and grow local product sales on Government spending and SOE spending.

Anies : He will likely have different economic policy, not focusing too much on infrastructure as like Jokowi, I dont know the rest of policy but as Academic Professor he may have more willingness on Research program. For defense I see more research and more support for KF21/IFX program will likely be pursuit as Demokrat party is also part of Anies supporter and it is under Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in 2009 that the program is started (MOU).

Prabowo : I dont know about his economic plan, but for defense it will likely be crazy, I mean his previous proposal that is rejected by Jokowi and his economic team could be executed under his Presidency
-----------------------------------------------

Charta Politika Survey: Presidential Candidate Rivalry Purses Two Names, Ganjar and Anies

Kompas.com- 30/11/2022, 11:01 PM

1669833248867.png

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com- Charta Politika's latest survey of presidential candidates (capres) ranks Ganjar Pranowo as the figure with the highest electability. The electoral rate of the Governor of Central Java reached 32.6 percent. Then, in second place is former DKI Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan whose electability rose to 23.1 percent.

Anies managed to shift Prabowo Subianto to third place. The electability of the Gerindra Party Chairman fell to 22.0 percent. Anies' Electability Surpasses Prabowo, Now Second Only to Ganjar Executive Director of Charta Politika Yunarto Wijaya said that the competition for presidential candidates in the future was reduced to only two names, namely Ganjar and Anies.

"It tends to purse instead of talking about three names, my speculation will be narrowed to Ganjar and Anies," said Yunarto in the Charta Politika Indonesia YouTube show, Tuesday (29/11/2022). Although Prabowo's figure is still in great demand, Yunarto said, data shows that the names Ganjar and Anies dominate in various regions. According to Yunarto, this situation cannot be separated from the history of the 2014 and 2019 Presidential Elections (Pilpres) which confronted Jokowi with Prabowo.

The figure of Ganjar is now the most closely imaged as Jokowi's successor. Meanwhile, the figure who is synonymous with the antithesis of the president is no longer Prabowo, but Anies. Therefore, it is not surprising that now public support has strengthened to Ganjar and Anies, while Prabowo has begun to be marginalized. "The tendency to control this territory is starting to narrow down to two names," Yunarto said.

Apart from these names, there are several other figures who also have the potential to become presidential candidates. West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil ranked fourth in the survey with an electability of 5.6 percent.

Then successively there were the names of the Chairman of the Democratic Party Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono aka AHY (3.5 percent), the Minister of Tourism and Creative Economy Sandiaga Uno (2.0 percent), and the Governor of East Java Khofifah Indar Parawansa (1.6 percent).

Then, in eighth place and so on, there is the figure of the Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Republic of Indonesia Puan Maharani (1.6 percent), Chairman of the Golkar Party Airlangga Hartarto (1.5 percent), and Minister of SOEs Erick Thohir (1.4 percent).

The Charta Politika survey was held on November 4-12, 2022. The survey uses the face-to-face interview method.

Editor : Fitria Chusna Farisa

Last edited:
This is the 5th prototype for Indonesia. I suspect there will be another ceremony for this prototype and there will be several Indonesian high officials invited for the ceremony.

I think they cover the Indonesian flag due to protect the Indonesian flag from any thing, this shows Korean respect on Indonesia and carefully care the flag cleanness before the possible ceremony take place. The flag, I think, being put on the body using sticker and they will release the sticker when the ceremony will be held, so not releasing the sticker sooner is mean to protect it from anything that can make the flag not look perfect and clean during the possible ceremony event (IFX roll out ceremony).

View attachment 900575

sokor pres-korean defence industries.jpg

sokor pres-korean defence industries-1.jpg
sokor pres-korean defence industries-2-ar.jpg

agred. there's no flag removed only temporary-covered, and i found that our MINDEF-Logo still there.
check arrow-point

for me, it's KAI own private ceremony to welcome their president visit. look at the stage not only KF-21 there also TA-50 golden eagles even ballistic missiles truck mini mock-up.
so, why people baperan lol.
remember pindad did the same too with medium tank harimau, i'll show y'all

pindad harimau m-t-2.jpg

pindad harimau m-t-3.jpg
pindad harimau m-t-4.jpg

View attachment 901622

View attachment 901623View attachment 901624

agred. there's no flag removed only temporary-covered, and i found that our MINDEF-Logo still there.
check arrow-point

for me, it's KAI own private ceremony to welcome their president visit. look at the stage not only KF-21 there also TA-50 golden eagles even ballistic missiles truck mini mock-up.
so, why people baperan lol.
remember pindad did the same too with medium tank harimau, i'll show y'all

View attachment 901902
View attachment 901903View attachment 901904

Talking about fifth prototype (Indonesian IFX) will be tested in Korea and only will be given to Indonesia once the program reach type certificate in late 2026 or beginning of 2027 inshaAllah is not a news from me as I have stated long time ago around July, and this is why we send several test pilots there

Many Indonesian haters would like to see Indonesia kick out from the program, they have already made many comments over that for quite long. We have already seen it in FB, YT comment, or defense forum. Indonesia which is part of the developer is something that they dont want to see.

Last edited:
AlhamduliLLAH, the trend seems to be going in line with both my prediction and expectation. Charta Politika is quite credible, although I rate Indikator and LSI as the most credible survey company in Indonesia.

Here my prediction on those three people

Ganjar
: He will likely follow Jokowi policy in economy and defense. His chance is only with Golkar/PPP/PAN coalition. PDI-P is unlikely to support him. So far he is not allowed to talk about Presidency by his party, so we dont know his plan on both economy and defense, but due to Jokowi support on him, his policy is likely pretty similar on how Jokowi administration policy on both economic and defense.

For defense, maybe will be more similar with Jokowi first term as there is no Prabowo as Defense Minister anymore in his possible administration. Larger spending on defense in the second Jokowi administration shows Jokowi tolerance as he had brough Prabowo into his ruling coalition.

Jokowi also has big tendency to support local defense industry in term of the acquisition. It can be seen on the first term acquisition tendency, he is regarded as very pro local products and his administration tries so hard to improve and grow local product sales on Government spending and SOE spending.

Anies : He will likely have different economic policy, not focusing too much on infrastructure as like Jokowi, I dont know the rest of policy but as Academic Professor he may have more willingness on Research program. For defense I see more research and more support for KF21/IFX program will likely be pursuit as Demokrat party is also part of Anies supporter and it is under Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in 2009 that the program is started (MOU).

Prabowo : I dont know about his economic plan, but for defense it will likely be crazy, I mean his previous proposal that is rejected by Jokowi and his economic team could be executed under his Presidency
-----------------------------------------------

Charta Politika Survey: Presidential Candidate Rivalry Purses Two Names, Ganjar and Anies

Kompas.com- 30/11/2022, 11:01 PM

View attachment 901761

JAKARTA, KOMPAS.com- Charta Politika's latest survey of presidential candidates (capres) ranks Ganjar Pranowo as the figure with the highest electability. The electoral rate of the Governor of Central Java reached 32.6 percent. Then, in second place is former DKI Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan whose electability rose to 23.1 percent.

Anies managed to shift Prabowo Subianto to third place. The electability of the Gerindra Party Chairman fell to 22.0 percent. Anies' Electability Surpasses Prabowo, Now Second Only to Ganjar Executive Director of Charta Politika Yunarto Wijaya said that the competition for presidential candidates in the future was reduced to only two names, namely Ganjar and Anies.

"It tends to purse instead of talking about three names, my speculation will be narrowed to Ganjar and Anies," said Yunarto in the Charta Politika Indonesia YouTube show, Tuesday (29/11/2022). Although Prabowo's figure is still in great demand, Yunarto said, data shows that the names Ganjar and Anies dominate in various regions. According to Yunarto, this situation cannot be separated from the history of the 2014 and 2019 Presidential Elections (Pilpres) which confronted Jokowi with Prabowo.

The figure of Ganjar is now the most closely imaged as Jokowi's successor. Meanwhile, the figure who is synonymous with the antithesis of the president is no longer Prabowo, but Anies. Therefore, it is not surprising that now public support has strengthened to Ganjar and Anies, while Prabowo has begun to be marginalized. "The tendency to control this territory is starting to narrow down to two names," Yunarto said.

Apart from these names, there are several other figures who also have the potential to become presidential candidates. West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil ranked fourth in the survey with an electability of 5.6 percent.

Then successively there were the names of the Chairman of the Democratic Party Agus Harimurti Yudhoyono aka AHY (3.5 percent), the Minister of Tourism and Creative Economy Sandiaga Uno (2.0 percent), and the Governor of East Java Khofifah Indar Parawansa (1.6 percent).

Then, in eighth place and so on, there is the figure of the Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Republic of Indonesia Puan Maharani (1.6 percent), Chairman of the Golkar Party Airlangga Hartarto (1.5 percent), and Minister of SOEs Erick Thohir (1.4 percent).

The Charta Politika survey was held on November 4-12, 2022. The survey uses the face-to-face interview method.

Editor : Fitria Chusna Farisa

LSI has released his recent report. I put it here because it is important to see future Indonesian defense acquisition program.

Anies Baswedan's Electability Rises, LSI Director: 40% of Prabowo Voters Switch​

Story from Theophilus Ifan Sucipto•Yesterday

Jakarta: Executive Director of the Indonesian Survey Institute (LSI) Djayadi Hanan analyzed the increasing electability of nasdem party presidential candidate Anies Baswedan. Anies' electability even shifted PrabowoSubianto's position.

"Prabowo's voters still have the majority of Prabowo but maybe around 40 percent have (switched to Anies)," said Djayadi at the MGN Complex, West Jakarta, Wednesday, November 30, 2022.

Djayadi said during 2014-2019 Anies was considered one camp with Prabowo. So the people who voted fo rAnies were many of Prabowo's voters in 2019.

"Prabowo's (electability) tends to stagnate because his popularity has been pegged and his voice has been taken by Anies a lot," he said.

Djayadi could not predict whether Prabowo's voter migration to Anies would continue until 2024. It depends on Prabowo's response to the phenomenon.

Also how Anies' efforts increase popularity and closeness to the community," he said.

In addition, Djayadi said that Anies' electability soared because it was the first time he fought in the presidential election (pilpres). So the room to increase support is even greater.

"In terms of popularity, he (Anies) is still in the 80 percent range. With Anies active after becoming governor, his popularity level is getting higher," he explained.

Anies' electability increased by more than 23 percent. This is based on the Charta Politikasurvey.

"There is an increase (electability) in Mas Anies Baswedan from (survey) September 20.6 percent, now to 23.1 percent," said Charta Politika Executive Director Yunarto Wijaya in a survey release in Jakarta, Tuesday, November 29, 2022.

Yunarto said the increase in electability shifted Prabowo Subianto's position, which has now dropped to third place. Prabowo's electability reached 24.4 in the September 2022 survey but has now dropped to 22 percent.

"As a momentum, there was a 2.5 percent increase in the effect of the NasDem declaration or post-declaration and enough to overtake Mr. Prabowo," he said.

Breaking News, Indonesia United Coalition (KIB-Golkar, PAN, PPP) is determined to see Golkar current leader, Airlangga, as President candidate. If PDI-P doesnt put Ganjar as its President candidate, then Anies Baswedan probability to become President of Indonesia starting in November 2024 is higher.

In term of defense, it means possibility to see many changes policy could potentially happen since Anies Baswedan will likely be different with both Jokowi and Prabowo in term of its defense policy. AHY (Agus Yudhoyono, former President SBY son) as Demokrat leader, part of Anies coalition, could potentially be Minister of Defense under Anies possible administration. He is US Military educated and served in Military (Army-Kostrad) before resigning and active in politics.

----------------------------

AHY met with several Australian government and parliament leaders Today

1669889567769.png

Last edited:

Navy, shipbuilder build warship, patrol boat in Batam

0E4D7F73-5DC1-4F71-9C6B-BCB1BCA47F9D.jpeg
The physical construction of TNI AL warship in Batam, Riau Islands ANTARA/HO-Dinas Penerangan TNI AL

Manufacturing of the fast patrol boat PC 40 and warships KAL 28 that use domestic components is not merely aimed at improving TNI AL's capability but also at reflecting the concrete step and commitment of TNI AL in ensuring the success of the govern

Batam, Riau Islands (ANTARA) - The Indonesian Navy (TNI AL) is cooperating with a domestic shipbuilding company in building two warships and a 40-meter fast patrol boat

The two warships are being built in the dockyard of PT Citra Shipyard in Batam, Riau Islands, the naval chief of staff's assistant for planning and budgeting Rear Admiral Irwan Isnurwanto, noted in a written statement released on Wednesday,

"Manufacturing of the fast patrol boat PC 40 and warships KAL 28 that use domestic components is not merely aimed at improving TNI AL's capability but also at reflecting the concrete step and commitment of TNI AL in ensuring the success of the government's program in developing self-reliance in the defense industry and the utilization of domestic products," he noted.

He said PT Citra Shipyard is one of the several domestic shipbuilders appointed by TNI AL to produce warships in the 2022-2023 budget year.

Manufacturing of the ships is the realization of Naval Chief of Staff Admiral Yudo Margono's priority program to increase TNI AL's fleet, he remarked.

"It is an essential part of the program to modernize alutsista (primary weapons system) that is one of the priorities in the development of TNI AL," he stated.
IMG_20221130_102951.jpg

"The physical construction of PC 40m and KAL 28 kicked off today to become the essential component of TNI AL in the future and meet the demand, mandate, and expectation of the state and nation to realize defense and security and protect the marine interests of the nation and state," he remarked.

IMG_20221130_102851.jpg

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom