What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Covid-19: Indonesia signals potential major increase in defence spending

by Andrew MacDonald Jun 24, 2020, 09:44 AM

Indonesia could be in line for a record-high expenditure of nearly IDR150 trillion (USD10.6 billion) for fiscal year 2021 if recently submitted budgetary proposals are...

Indonesia could be in line for a record-high expenditure of nearly IDR150 trillion (USD10.6 billion) for fiscal year 2021 if recently submitted budgetary proposals are approved by parliament later this year.

The proposed expenditure suggests the Southeast Asian country might be in a more robust position to respond to the Covid-19 pandemic than was previously thought.

fg_3209666-jdw-6641.jpg

Indonesia has proposed a strong increase in defence spending for 2021, with procurement identified as a priority. The country’s modernisation targets include the acquisition of the Harimau medium tank (pictured) developed by PT Pindad and FNSS. (FNSS)

The Ministry of Finance (MoF) said in a fiscal policy report recently presented to parliament that the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has indicated a ceiling requirement of IDR129.3 trillion for 2021.

The MoD also said in information presented in a meeting with the House of Representative’s defence commission that additional funding of IDR19 trillion is required to support a range of initiatives including military procurement.

If approved, the proposals would provide the MoD with IDR148.3 trillion for 2021. This would represent an increase of IDR25.9 trillion – or 21% – over the revised allocation of IDR122.4 trillion for 2020. The original 2020 appropriation was IDR131.2 trillion but this was cut through a presidential regulation issued in April in response to the impact of Covid-19.

According to the MoF fiscal policy report, funding priorities for the MoD in 2021 include the procurement of munitions, armoured vehicles, and naval vessels, and the support and replacement of military aircraft. In addition, funding is required to complete “projects and activity” that were postponed due to budgetary restrictions imposed in the wake of Covid-19, it said.

Already a Janes subscriber? Read the full article via the Client Login
Interested in subscribing, see What we do

https://www.janes.com/amp/covid-19-...Vkc5dVI5VFp1cVMwPQ2?__twitter_impression=true

Discussion need tangible benefit or perceived threat to backing up our diplomat when doing the dialog, credible intelligent network Will doing wonder to put pressure onto our dialogue partner. Thats why military might and economy prowess is very much important, the rise of South Korea and China is the prominent example
Economic and military prowess will give more weight to your words, but there is no need to openly and clearly use them to backup our words when dealing with friendly country, well we could use them in non offensive way like giving aid and using the military for humanitarian works.

I agree that we should put more effort to bring back Rohingyas to Myanmar, their own land. So far current administration also has pressure Myanmar government to accept Myanmar refuges in Bangladesh and get all Rohingya have Myanmar citizenship.

I also follow the news and see that current foreign minister is quite active in doing so. Dont know exactly why it is so difficult to bring all Rohingya back to Myanmar. I am also quite frustated to see Rohingya living in limbo in Bangladesh. Jokowi himself as I see not really interested in international affairs, so far our foreign minister and her staff who do that job alone.
Nah its very complicated IMO, the horizontal tension itself its quite high, and now add that with hard action undertaken by their military.

It will took a long time, but Indonesia can do something to help, I mean we have lots of conflicts in the past, ethnic conflict, religion clash, rebellion, separatism, coup and look at us now, large population from various ethnic and religion spreads on thousands km and thousands of islands but quite stable isn't it?
And we successfully transform from authoritarian to a democracy.

Wacky Hot Take: Apart from the planned ASuW oriented OPV. The future OPV's should have a variant oriented towards local/fleet/tanker AAW defense. I'm thinking a Cheaper S-Band and a smaller X-Band with quadpacked CAMM's on either a 8x SYLVER A43 or 8x Mk41 + CIWS.

I'm not expecting to see that caesar readiness number to be that low
IMG_20200626_111952_111.jpg
IMG_20200626_112002_457.jpg
IMG_20200626_112004_614.jpg
IMG_20200626_112000_203.jpg

P.S this was (claimed) as 2018 data

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_111953_971.jpg
    IMG_20200626_111953_971.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 21
I'm not expecting to see that caesar readiness number to be that low
View attachment 644786 View attachment 644785 View attachment 644784 View attachment 644782

P.S this was (claimed) as 2018 data
This is really why you shouldn't give control of HIMAD (or really anything beyond VSHORAD) to the Army. Compared to the other 2 branches, the Army is very bureaucratic and political, and the amount of ego stroking is insane. You can already see how interoperability with the different branches within the service is already poor. How can you expect them to play nice with the other 2 branches? And with something that needs to be heavily networked and integrated with fighter aircraft, AAW ships, and MPA/AWACS assets; it wouldn't be used efficiently or effectively.

Look at it this way, imagine the Air Force tracking an aircraft on one of their GCI radars. They scramble 2 fighters to while directing a CAP flight to do immediate intercept. An Air Force AWACS is monitoring the situation from the air and relay the information to a Naval MPA aircraft. The MPA aircraft relays it to a AAW equipped ship and they start heating up their radars towards the bogey. Air Force controllers then relays the info over to an Army GBAD unit, who instead of relying on the targeting data provided by the assets of the 2 other services, they fire up their own radars to acquire it on their own.

It's stupid to think about and far fetch but things like this happen all the time in the AD.

thas unsatisfied actually,especally in artillery unit, hope today those problem fixed already

Why not bought a lot of them to mitigate the problem, if we got 1000 units, readiness of 20% means 200 units, land units can be stored for spare part purposes

Why not bought a lot of them to mitigate the problem, if we got 1000 units, readiness of 20% means 200 units, land units can be stored for spare part purposes

i dont know why the readyness below 30% some of them even worse below 20%, but i think we should maximize our guns inventory at least 80% readyness, and i don't know about military standar readyness but in civilian standar readyness only 30% quite bad actually despite how much we have

upload data yang klasifikasi nya biasa silahkan saja di posting tapi kl kalsifikasinya rahasia walaupun sudah ada yang latah memposting lebih baik jgn ikut latah memposting pula lebih..lebih bila berita itu lama bisa menimbulkan kesimpang siuran keresahan kejang..kejang ke gagalan dalam menalar khayalan terlalu berlebihan shudzon dll....wkwkwkwkwk

but well gues u guys only need something to argue with right either way there is nothing to talk about

FYI right now we have overcome this problem either is sdm issue or sarpas issue that we have back than and the number is surely increasing

oh iya ada yang nyinggung medium tank ndak berkelanjutan ya semoga proyek madium tank puna male dan kfx ttp bisa berjalan dan sesuai rencana couse thare a lot of thing turn bad out there..

Last edited:
i dont know why the readyness below 30% some of them even worse below 20%, but i think we should maximize our guns inventory at least 80% readyness, and i don't know about military standar readyness but in civilian standar readyness only 30% quite bad actually despite how much we have
Pretty sure it's mostly a lack of ammunition issue.

Back
Top Bottom