What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

1588587404.jpg

An Army officer hands over a bag of rice to a local resident at the Kodim 0503 headquarters in West Jakarta on Monday. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

Indonesian Military Opens 'Rice ATM' for Poor Families in Jakarta
BY :YUDHA BASKORO

MAY 04, 2020

The West Jakarta District Military Command (Kodim) distributed rice to poor families around the area on Monday. Each resident walked away from the military headquarters with 1.5 kilograms of rice.

The Kodim will open the "Rice ATM" again this week from 9 a.m to 4 p.m.

Officers checked the body temperature of everyone who came to the Kodim, gave away free masks and made sure everyone observe physical distancing.

They also went door-to-door to deliver rice to residents who are unable to go to the Kodim headquarters on Jalan Letjen S. Parman in Petamburan.

Currently the Rice ATM can be found in 10 locations in Greater Jakarta: Kodim 0501 in Central Jakarta, Kodim 0502 in North Jakarta, Kodim 0503 in West Jakarta, Kodim 0504 South Jakarta, Kodim 0505 East Jakarta, Kodim 0506 in Tangerang, Kodim 0509 in Bekasi, Kodim 0508 in Depok, Kodim 0606 in the City of Bogor and Kodim 0621 in the District of Bogor.

Residents line up for the free rice. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

An officer checks a resident's body temperature with a thermometer gun. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

Physical distancing markers on the front yard of the military headquarters. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

An officer pours rice into a plastic bag for a resident. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

A man adjusts his new cloth mask, which was also given away for free by the military. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

A man shows off his new mask from Kodim 0503. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

People stand at least two meters apart from each other in the queue. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

An officer pours rice into a plastic bag for a woman. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

A man walks out of the military headquarters after receiving a free bag of rice. (JG Photo/Yudha Baskoro)

ISIS & co is at it again!
Indonesia-ISIS-Protest-2014-e1588754006267.jpg

A Muslim man wears a headband showing the Islamic State group's symbol during a protest in the eastern Indonesian city of Surabaya in a 2014 file photo. Photo: Facebook

JAKARTA – With battered Islamic State (ISIS) urging its followers to take advantage of the Covid-19 pandemic’s disruption and launch renewed attacks around the world, Indonesian counter-terrorism police have seized a startling amount of ammunition in raids at opposite ends of Java.

Terrorism experts say the 2,300 rounds of ammunition, all of it for assault rifles and other service weapons used by the police and military, is the most Indonesian militants are known to have had in their possession in almost two decades.

Three suspects allegedly belonging to the ISIS-linked Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD) were arrested on April 26 by the Detachment 88 counterterrorism unit in the Surabaya suburb of Sidoarjo, along with 288 rounds of 5.56 mm and 9 mm ammunition.

Also seized in the raid was a camouflaged Pindad-made SSI-V4 sniper rifle, normally carried by specialized elements of Army Strategic Reserve (Kostrad) raider battalions, and two 9 mm Browning automatic pistols.

A day later, following a trail left by employees of a Surabaya-based courier company, police captured three more militants and reportedly found an additional 2,000 rounds of ammunition near the Banten province capital of Serang, west of Jakarta.

The second arms seizure has received little media coverage, which suggests official sensitivity over a possible leakage from Pindad itself, or from a unit within the Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI). A former air force servicemen is among the detainees.

In an unrelated incident in southern Central Kalimantan, a new sanctuary for fugitive militants, local police arrested a man who was tracked by street cameras after planting a home-made bomb in a mosque.

Islamic-State-Indonesia-August-5-2014-e1561109938393.jpg

A government worker removes ISIS flags painted on walls near Veteran Street in Surakarta City, Indonesia, in a file photo. Photo: AFP Forum/Agoes Rudianto
Police are saying little about what might have been planned for the weaponry, but as one security source told Asia Times: “It’s very disturbing. They have to get to the bottom of it. It’s not that easy to get ammunition in that quantity without someone missing it.”

The only clear sign of Indonesian militants heeding the ISIS call to arms is in Central Sulawesi, where Mujahideen of Eastern Indonesia (MIT) extremists have recently lost five followers in jungle clashes with security forces around Poso, the provincial capital.

“The arrival of the virus gave MIT new hope that victory was near,” said Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict (IPAC) director Sidney Jones, pointing to new recruits joining the small, rag-tag band that can still call on some local support.

Otherwise, the level of terrorist activity has been generally low. Jones noted in a recent briefing paper that some ISIS supporters are less focused on jihad operations and more on how the virus may be yet another sign that the end of the world is near, a strange new preoccupation with Indonesian extremists.

Mainstream Islamists have showed little inclination to exploit social unrest associated with sharp increases in unemployment, and an up-tick in anti-Chinese rhetoric among hardliners on social media has not been matched by any trouble on the streets.

Still, past experience has shown that terrorists strike when they are least expected to and, in the past, have often have only been thwarted at the last minute by Detachment 88 operatives.

Last June, police arrested 34 suspects in Central Kalimantan for allegedly planning a suicide bombing in Jakarta. Some were members of JAD who fled Java in 2018 after trying to establish a training camp on the jungled slopes of Mount Salak, 90 kilometers south of Jakarta.

RTX2WABJ-1-scaled.jpg

Indonesian anti-terror police from Detachment 88 stand guard near explosive materials and other evidence confiscated in raids on suspected militants in a 2016 file photo. Image: Facebook
Detachment 88 has only recently been taken over by Major General Marthinus Hukom, 48, one of the original 2002 Bali bombing investigators and a member of the counterterrorism unit since it was formed in the wake of the country’s worst terrorist outrage.

Hukom was previously part of the unit’s intelligence arm and is reputed to have a highly tuned understanding of how JAD and other home-grown terrorist networks operate, mostly communicating through different groups on social media.

One of those arrested in the Banten operation was reportedly related to Serang-born Imam Samudra, executed along with two other militants on the prison island of Nusa Kambangan in November 2008 for his leading role in the Bali bombing.

The scene of the Banten operation was the bustling, devoutly-Islamic market town of Pandeglang, where former chief security minister Wiranto was stabbed in the stomach by a knife-wielding militant last October as he arrived for an official function.

Wiranto survived, but it was the first attack on a Cabinet minister in recent memory and raised concerns that JAD might be targeting senior figures in President Joko Widodo’s administration. The recent arms seizures have renewed those worries.

Banten was previously part of West Java, the country’s most populous province and the cradle of the Darul Islam movement which fought an abortive low-level insurgency in the 1950s to turn Indonesia into an Islamic state.

Currently the bastion of the Islamic-based Justice and Prosperity Party (PKS), the only opposition party in Parliament, western Java has handed Widodo crushing defeats in two successive elections, although he regained much of that ground in Central and East Java.

ISIS-Indonesia-Terrorism-2015-e1561109806964.jpg

Indonesian ISIS members in Syria. Photo: Facebook

JAD was responsible for the 2016 bomb and gun attack in downtown Jakarta that left eight people dead, as well as the May 2018 suicide bombing of three churches and a police station in Surabaya which killed 15 bystanders and 13 of the bombers.

Up to now, the organization is not known to have any expertise in the use of automatic weapons. A group of militants was meant to have received training on the southern Philippines island of Basilan in 2016, but it was cut short by a military operation.

After that, ISIS fighters were too busy preparing for the armed occupation of Marawi city further north in Mindanao’s Lanao del Sur province, which erupted in May 2017 and raged on for five months, killing 978 militants and 168 Philippine government soldiers.

Since then, IPAC’s Jones says a chapter of misfortunes has stymied repeated efforts by JAD to import thirty M-16 and AK-47 rifles from southern Mindanao, which the organization has already paid for and are reportedly being kept in Zamboanga.

One of the earlier attempts to move the weaponry was through the Indonesian island of Kalimantan, across the Sulu Sea from’ Zamboangaon the south end of Mindanao. But the firebombing of a church in the East Kalimantan capital of Samarinda, which killed a small child, gave authorities cause to roll up the local ISIS network.

This is really worrying. 2 High profile busts resulting in a total of more than 4 thousand rounds of ammunition confiscated. Along with a smaller, local level bust of a attempted mosque bomber.

Also armaments specifically given to Kostrad & Raider units.

On one hand, the fact that they were found and dealt with means that BIN is still doing a great job in their infiltration of these networks, but on another hand, it shows that someone is giving these terrorist cells a fresh injection of support.

Did anyone know when and what's the detalis about this photo? i believe this was supplied by a defector, but how for a ss2 with an acog and modernized minimi also there? are they from the armory or somewhere they could get it?
IMG-20191203-WA0058.jpg

Did anyone know when and what's the detalis about this photo? i believe this was supplied by a defector, but how for a ss2 with an acog and modernized minimi also there? are they from the armory or somewhere they could get it?
View attachment 630122
do TNI or either Polri wield variants of FN MINIMI with magazine fed system ? if not , then it's obvious there's a foreign support going on.

edit : nevermind , i found this article .
https://www.indomiliter.com/minimi-senapan-mesin-regu-dengan-kemampuan-dual-feed-system/
5-2.jpg

View attachment 630122

Some ambush resulting in casualties and materiel losses, and there is looting cases. Remember when the Army loss their mi17 due to accident, there is report all of weapons there being lost

do TNI or either Polri wield variants of FN MINIMI with magazine fed system ? if not , then it's obvious there's a foreign support going on.

Our minimi can be fed with magz or belt

View attachment 630122
This photo has been circulated at least since July 2019: same rebels with the same weapon

https://kabarmapegaa.com/Artikel/Ba...nggungjawab_atas_insiden_baku_tembak_di_nduga

View attachment 630122
This photo has been circulated at least since July 2019: same rebels with the same weapon

https://kabarmapegaa.com/Artikel/Ba...nggungjawab_atas_insiden_baku_tembak_di_nduga

Some ambush resulting in casualties and materiel losses, and there is looting cases. Remember when the Army loss their mi17 due to accident, there is report all of weapons there being lost

well i guess since it was 2019 case, it make sense and the news was shared on july while mi17 crash was on june.

but if through an ambush and something like that, we need a serious firepower and support indeed, our soldier could be lightly armed, but if that wasn't the case, there's 2 possibility, our man always caught off guard or simply the quality of the manpower itself could be questioned, so far the great Manpower quality always being propagandized? if you guys had any real answer let us know. cuz i really hate something like this happened, unnecessary death and wounded/unacceptable losses but yeah i i hope for the best for our troops

It's more quality of leadership, quality of human resources, quality of training, and lack of ISR assets. All the newly procured equipment would mean ****-all if they don't update the training doctrine and human resource aspect of the armed forces.

Agree on that, we still lack Of ISR, and then quality Leader And Manpower too, that's what every topic about our manpower that's all about, especially the leader/brass who stick to an old tactics and stay static AF

well i guess since it was 2019 case, it make sense and the news was shared on july while mi17 crash was on june.

but if through an ambush and something like that, we need a serious firepower and support indeed, our soldier could be lightly armed, but if that wasn't the case, there's 2 possibility, our man always caught off guard or simply the quality of the manpower itself could be questioned, so far the great Manpower quality always being propagandized? if you guys had any real answer let us know. cuz i really hate something like this happened, unnecessary death and wounded/unacceptable losses but yeah i i hope for the best for our troops

You can find some fucker willing to sell their distributed ammo for money

Our army patrol SoP is quite... not really that bright. For what use the jungle camo when u bring large red and white flag on your back and you wonder why they can see you from afar? not to mention those out of place black camo vest. I will not to mention other protocol when they are doing combat patrol and so on and compared to typical combat patrol in hostile area like what ISAF doing in Afghanistan or US doing in Iraq

53b3befb-6900-4c68-b38c-218f982ad509-660x330.jpg

tni1.JPG

looks like the old habit from ancient era

548798689.jpg

Our army patrol SoP is quite... not really that bright. For what use the jungle camo when u bring large red and white flag on your back and you wonder why they can see you from afar? not to mention those out of place black camo vest. I will not to mention other protocol when they are doing combat patrol and so on and compared to typical combat patrol in hostile area like what ISAF doing in Afghanistan or US doing in Iraq

tni1.JPG

548798689.jpg

i agree, like wtf they thinking tho, i also wonder why they go black colored equipment instead of green colored ones, price wasn't the problem afaik, i believe due to "Raiding equipment/tactical EQ" aka black attire CT equipment. and then the flag and other things smh, this leadership need a new doctrine or needs to be replaced

tni1.JPG

548798689.jpg

i agree, like wtf they thinking tho, i also wonder why they go black colored equipment instead of green colored ones, price wasn't the problem afaik, i believe due to "Raiding equipment/tactical EQ" aka black attire CT equipment. and then the flag and other things smh, this leadership need a new doctrine or needs to be replaced

Before making such a conclusion we need to know first in which area did they patrol and in which area is OPM currently operates.

I think the only units that bring flag during patrol are the one that is stationed in a relatively friendly area, especially those near the border hence they need to carry the flag, while units stationed in the area with heavy OPM presence and SF unit who actively pursued those rebels don't carry it.
=======================================================
Anyway, someone really needs to make an open for public assessment regarding TNI-Polri combat ops in Papua by analyzing various data such as comparing casualties on both sides, OPM strength and territory from time to time, operational budget, numbers of OPM attack, etc.

FYI, I'm currently making TNI-Polri casualties list (KIA & WIA) in Papua from December 2018 - now. Does anyone want to join? especially to make casualties list from OPM side.

Sedikit SS, masih agak berantakan terutama karena sumbernya dari pemberitaan media/statement resmi TNI-Polri yang kadang gk lengkap:
upload_2020-5-6_23-1-54.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom