What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Well, a bit disapointed if a big warship using the same radar as smaller ship but then again, money talks. And even F125 using it too.
So TRS-4D or Smart-S mk.2 is in the same class. Choose Smart-S for commonality with the exisiting radars or TRS-4D for cheaper product.

I'm thinking about using Terma's products for ships up to OPV. And Thales for frigate and above.
The TRS-4D is in a league ahead of the SMART-S.

It has better target acquisition and reliability, and is actually the more expensive of the two. The 10,000 ton Bundesmarine MKS180 Omega frigate also uses it.

The SMART-S series is also becoming a dated system. For a SUW /ASW vessel, the Mk2 is more than enough but when you want a dedicated AAW vessel you're essentially wasting money at that point. Capabilities alone, the TRS-4D may provide better performance than just the bands would imply because of its relative age and use of more modern MMIC tech.

Quoting a colleague who does studies and work on radars, "It's a split-the-middle single system solution that offers good enough acquisition and engagement without needing two separate radar systems.."

that's why i crave for Fixed Array TRS-4D (the fixed one and rotator version have a slight difference in specification and performance) + SMART-L combination
It would be a GREAT combination, something that theoretically could give the AN/SPY-1 a run for its money. SMART-L is going to offer better acquisition capability while TRS-4D is going to give you your engagement performance.

In a perfect world I agree with you, but in reality that's really hard to achieve not on just cost alone. You are right that the two together would provide an EXCEPTIONAL amount of capability but the problem starts with the integration work. Hensoldt and THALES are genuine competitors so it would really hard to convince them to work together, also you likely would have to pay a lot of money not on the SMART-L unit itself but on the bespoke integration work.

Last edited:
How about fire control system, Thales STIR 1.2 mk2 or therma c fire Reo? Like Alman said, from what i read on the brochure therma only control guns and Stir at least can control short or medium range missile

The TRS-4D is in a league ahead of the SMART-S.

It has better target acquisition and reliability, and is actually the more expensive of the two. The 10,000 ton Bundesmarine MKS180 Omega frigate also uses it.

The SMART-S series is also becoming a dated system. For a SUW /ASW vessel, the Mk2 is more than enough but when you want a dedicated AAW vessel you're essentially wasting money at that point. Capabilities alone, the TRS-4D may provide better performance than just the bands would imply because of its relative age and use of more modern MMIC tech.

Quoting a colleague who does studies and work on radars, "It's a split-the-middle single system solution that offers good enough acquisition and engagement without needing two separate radar systems.."

It would be a GREAT combination, something that theoretically could give the AN/SPY-1 a run for its money. SMART-L is going to offer better acquisition capability while TRS-4D is going to give you your engagement performance.

In a perfect world I agree with you, but in reality that's really hard to achieve not on just cost alone. You are right that the two together would provide an EXCEPTIONAL amount of capability but the problem starts with the integration work. Hensoldt and THALES are genuine competitors so it would really hard to convince them to work together, also you likely would have to pay a lot of money not on the SMART-L unit itself but on the bespoke integration work.
upload_2020-4-20_18-24-37.png

upload_2020-4-20_18-33-37.png

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/ar...marconi-awarded-paams-contract-(feb.-10).html

https://www.forecastinternational.com/archive/disp_pdf.cfm?DACH_RECNO=758

let's say the price is jumped up into 20-30$million range /unit , due to broker , it's still affordable with our budget .

How about fire control system, Thales STIR 1.2 mk2 or therma c fire Reo? Like Alman said, from what i read on the brochure therma only control guns and Stir at least can control short or medium range missile
That's also another thing to discuss , since STIR EO can also help ESSM to track it's target , one thing that i lack information from terma is their ESM and ECM product , i still can't find one , while the Thales have Vigile 100-300 ESM series and Scorpion ECM series .

Affordable? of course! Better than the TRS-4D? I doubt it. For the most part I'm just going with what my colleagues say. I am by no means a radar guy but if we're talking about relative age, the TRS-4D has newer and more modern subcomponents. It's also worth noting that the TRS-4D is an AESA radar compare to the PESA array on the SMART-S.

The TRS-4D is an all in one radar; it does search, tracking/target acquisition, and fire control all in one package.

That's what I prefer THALES would offer, but considering it's only the SMART-S Mk2 vs. the TRS-4D, you might as well pick the TRS-4D.
Do your friend involve in any way on new heavy frigate project?
Which one has bigger chances to be picked by MoD right now?

No he's an American based overall radar guy. I currently don't know anybody in the program.

Also, keep in mind that using the TRS-4D would mean easier integration work with the SM-2 family of missiles. And considering the Army is interested in the Patriot would mean better commonality of missiles in service.

No he's an American based overall radar guy. I currently don't know anybody in the program.

Also, keep in mind that using the TRS-4D would mean easier integration work with the SM-2 family of missiles. And considering the Army is interested in the Patriot would mean better commonality of missiles in service.
Wait, army? Not air force?

The Air Force is buying the NASAMS and the Army was looking at the Patriot/MEADS, SAMP/T, and the S-400 in a future competition.

Let the AF to operates MERAD and LORAD and not the army, give the army some portable and mobile shorad to protect their ground units. Manpads and self propelled SAM.

If some guy with several stars on his uniform keep insisting, someone with bigger desk should give a little smack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom