What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

Indonesia may buy submarines from Turkey or Germany
Geopolitical and geo-strategic issues Indonesia's main concerns in acquiring submarines, says official
Erric Permana |16.01.2020

thumbs_b_c_f5e65b563c8c863fe18707bc85489f51.jpg
File Photo

JAKARTA

Indonesia is considering the purchase of submarines from Turkey or Germany, a Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday.

Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto is in the process of comparing the equipment from the two countries, said Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak.

"The minister is still contemplating whether to buy it from Turkey or Germany. Currently he is visiting Germany,” he told Anadolu Agency.

After the visit, he will report to President Joko Widodo.

The spokesman added that geopolitical and geo-strategic issues were Indonesia's main concerns in acquiring submarines.

Last November, Subianto paid an official visit to Turkey to meet with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Turkish counterpart Hulusi Akar.

During his visit, the minister also visited the submarine factory.https://www.aa.com.tr/en/world/indonesia-may-buy-submarines-from-turkey-or-germany/1704780

It is explained in more detail here, but Turkish edition - https://www.defenceturk.net/endonezya-turkiye-ya-da-almanyadan-denizalti-almayi-planliyor

To summarize; In addition to the statements of Indonesian Ministry of Defense Spokesperson Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak, they giving some info about Mr Simanjuntak's shipyard visit on 27 November and the proposal sent to Indonesia.

As we know, STM signed a cooperation agreement with German company ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) at IDEF as part of the Indonesia Submarine Project. In the statement made that day they said that "one or two submarines under the project are planned to be built in Turkey, while the other submarines are expected to be built in Indonesia." Integrated systems of submarine are expected to be produced by ASELSAN and HAVELSAN. Within the scope of the project, there is wide range of ToT envisaged. As I understand it, REIS class being proposed for Indonesian Navy.

The project's final situation was presented to Indonesian Navy officials in April-2019 by STM. The news is here: https://www.defenceturk.net/stm-endonezyada-denizalti-sunumu-yapti

@Ruhnama

Geopolitical and geo-strategic issues Indonesia's main concerns in acquiring submarines, says official

File Photo

JAKARTA

Indonesia is considering the purchase of submarines from Turkey or Germany, a Defense Ministry spokesman said Thursday.

Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto is in the process of comparing the equipment from the two countries, said Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak.

"The minister is still contemplating whether to buy it from Turkey or Germany. Currently he is visiting Germany,” he told Anadolu Agency.

The spokesman added that geopolitical and geo-strategic issues were Indonesia's main concerns in acquiring submarines.

Last November, Subianto paid an official visit to Turkey to meet with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his Turkish counterpart Hulusi Akar.

During his visit, the minister also visited the submarine factory.https://www.aa.com.tr/en/world/indonesia-may-buy-submarines-from-turkey-or-germany/1704780

It is explained in more detail here, but Turkish edition - https://www.defenceturk.net/endonezya-turkiye-ya-da-almanyadan-denizalti-almayi-planliyor

To summarize; In addition to the statements of Indonesian Ministry of Defense Spokesperson Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak, they giving some info about Mr Simanjuntak's shipyard visit on 27 November and the proposal sent to Indonesia.

As we know, STM signed a cooperation agreement with German company ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems (TKMS) at IDEF as part of the Indonesia Submarine Project. In the statement made that day they said that "one or two submarines under the project are planned to be built in Turkey, while the other submarines are expected to be built in Indonesia." Integrated systems of submarine are expected to be produced by ASELSAN and HAVELSAN. Within the scope of the project, there is wide range of ToT envisaged. As I understand it, REIS class being proposed for Indonesian Navy.

The project's final situation was presented to Indonesian Navy officials in April-2019 by STM. The news is here: https://www.defenceturk.net/stm-endonezyada-denizalti-sunumu-yapti

@Ruhnama
I think we'll not buy sub from turkey, its potentially from german or france
What happen to SK sub, did we cancel the contract?

I think we'll not buy sub from turkey, its potentially from german or france
What happen to SK sub, did we cancel the contract?
Our gov somehow said the sub performance is "bad"

I don't think the offer is for penerbal.
Thats what i thought but eventho the offer is not for penerbal then for who? AF wants 32 viper and 16 su 35 (could be cancelled any time)

But i guess I'm sticking with trimatra renbut

File Photo

JAKARTA

@Ruhnama
Even better if they (German) offered type 218 would be a great contender againts Turkey U214TN

Last edited:
Indonesia to Buy Bigger Boats for Coast Guard

Jakarta. Indonesia plans to buy bigger boats to allow its coast guards to travel across the ocean, most notably the Natuna Sea, and expand their patrol reach, the government said on Friday.

The plan to buy ocean-going vessels was made after Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto had reportedly bought frigates for the Indonesian Navy from Denmark.

Maritime Affairs and Investment Coordinating Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan said that the Maritime Security Agency (Bakamla), which soon becomes the country’s coast guard, will need ships the size of those Danish vessels.

"Mr. Prabowo has bought ocean-going vessels for the Navy from Denmark. They are between 138 meters and 150 meters in length and those frigates can sail across the ocean,” Luhut said at his office in Jakarta.

“After [the appointment of] Bakamla is completed, we want similar vessels as well. Probably not frigates, but we want our coast guard to be capable of sailing the Natuna Sea as well,” Luhut said.

The appointment of Bakamla as coast guard is mentioned in a bill being deliberated by the House of Representatives. The bill seeks to settle overlapping roles in domestic maritime securities. There are multiple institutions in maritime securities including the Bakamla, the Water Police, the Indonesian Navy and the Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Ministry’s sea patrols.

The Natuna Sea in Indonesia’s northern maritime borders has come under the government’s attention due to reported illegal fishings by foreign ships at its 200-nautical mile exclusive economic zone. Most recently, an Indonesian warship was in a close encounter with a Chinese coast guard who accompanied several Chinese fishing boats in the area.

https://jakartaglobe.id/news/indonesia-to-buy-bigger-boats-for-coast-guard
I know this sounds weird but I'm thinking that we're going to acquire absalon for bakamla idk why

Thats what i thought but eventho the offer is not for penerbal then for who? AF wants 32 viper and 16 su 35 (could be cancelled any time)

Even better if they (German) offered type 218 would be a great battle againts Turkey
There is no way penerbal able to operate fighter jet right now. No infrastructure, human resources, and capability to do so

I know this sounds weird but I'm thinking that we're going to acquire absalon for bakamla idk why
could be absalon or the old HDMS Thetis extended variants .

Even better if they (German) offered type 218 would be a great battle againts Turkey
bad is kinda over exagerrated , maybe just not met their performance "expectation" , this could also signaling the previous U209 , 401 and 402 , actually perform more or less the same or better than the changbogo , im really expecting we own 3000-4000 tonner subs like type 216 , or sweden A26 , that have the capability of launching cruise missile or antiship missile , without intrefering/eat up space with the torpedoes loadout .

Germany? Nah, they're human rights issue is ridiculous
i rarely heard german ranting about human right issues to us .

Ofcourse for the Air Force.

That's quite reasonable and logic, Chinese CG have 10k ton ships, Vietnam on their way getting 4k ton CG, if we stick with Tanjung datu class, somehow we'll get bullied from those two

could be absalon or the old HDMS Thetis extended variants .

bad is kinda over exagerrated , maybe just not met their performance "expectation" , this could also signaling the previous U209 , 401 and 402 , actually perform more or less the same or better than the changbogo , im really expecting we own 3000-4000 tonner subs like type 216 , or sweden A26 , that have the capability of launching cruise missile or antiship missile , without intrefering/eat up space with the torpedoes loadout .

i rarely heard german ranting about human right issues to us .
We should be cautious.

Back
Top Bottom