What's new

Indonesia Defence Forum

No, the one fitted to Diponegoro-class was not OTO-Melara 76mm Compact version but instead a Super Rapid version, the only 76mm compact version in TNI-AL inventory was mounted on Van Speijk-class frigate.

Also, the Van Speijk-class OTO-Melara 76mm gun was fitted since their last modernization in 1976 when they're still part of Royal Netherlands Navy services, not bought together with Diponegoro-class gun that was procured around 2004. Thus, in fact they are already (too) old.

Oh, is that correct ?

I thought Super rapid is with stealth casing and Compact is with radome casing.

Please also consider the fact that if one of our navy ship to be retired, all of the weapon system will be removed from her.

If they are too old, why these weapon should be removed ?

Thus, if all six of our van speijk class to be retired, there will be six 76 mm naval gun in our warehouse.

Since our Bakamla ships are our cutter / reserve ships for our navy, these 76 mm could be used by them no matter how old they are.

Daripada jadi karatan di gudang, bukankah lebih baik digunakan dan dirawat setiap waktu jika ditaruh atas kapal ?

Last edited:
Oh, is that correct ?

Please also consider the fact that if one of our navy ship to be retired, all of the weapon system will be removed from her.

Thus, if all six of our van speijk class to be retired, there will be six 76 mm naval gun in our warehouse.

Since our Bakamla ships are our cutter / reserve ships for our navy, these 76 mm could be used by them no matter how old they are.

Daripada jadi karatan di gudang, bukankah lebih baik digunakan dan dirawat setiap waktu jika ditaruh atas kapal ?
That's exactly what Im thinking, the larger coast guard vessel (80M and 110M) ones should atleast be equipped with one heavy weaponry considering that this boat will be facing intimidation from other nation coast guard, im looking forward that the mistral simbad onboard the van speijk will also be repurposed for the KCR
And dont forget those C802, i think its wise to install it in our FPB 57 nav iv dan nav V as not all of them are now mjssile capable

In this video minute 0:30 - 0:50 Denmark built 3 Iver Huitfeldt for USD 870 million.

Indonesia USD 720 million for 2 Iver Huitfeldt.

Iver Huitfeldt class: the mighty sea beast!

The highlight of the show at Indodefence 2018 in term naval product: damen OMEGA!

Damen Omega, Bob De Smedt Design Engineer exclusive interview

AA Bob said twice abt future PKR in these two interviews. is it will over until PKR 3 & 4? then they(our navy) will continue building larger combatants...?
his statements:
i) they are absolutely ready for future needs of larger combatant after PKR 3 & 4
ii) we want to build 2 more of those(PKR 3 & 4) after that, we(damen) knows that they(our navy & mindef) future requirements for bigger platform.

The highlight of the show at Indodefence 2018 in term naval product: damen OMEGA!

AA Bob said twice abt future PKR in these two interviews. is it will over until PKR 3 & 4? then they(our navy) will continue building larger combatants...?
his statements:
i) they are absolutely ready for future needs of larger combatant after PKR 3 & 4
ii) we want to build 2 more of those(PKR 3 & 4) after that, we(damen) knows that they(our navy & mindef) future requirements for bigger platform.
But man, that omega is too good to be true,

Oh, is that correct ?

It's not that simple, their differences is more about internal mechanism and metallurgy than a mere cosmetics "casing" on the outside. The Compact version differs "internally" from the Super Rapid version so much that they cannot be upgraded to Super Rapid standard due to these differences, they do have an upgrade kits for this Compact version but this upgrade will only increase their ROF from 80 rpm to 100 rpm. But knowing about our own navy "habit" about weapon system upgrade, particularly an upgrade for these guns, which seems doubtful to me and hence it likely that they still have the original Compact version performance.

AFAIK, the only way to differentiate Compact and Super Rapid visually from the outside are from their overall length (a few cm difference) and not from the shape of their gun shield or "casing" because both versions could be fitted with either the usual rounded or reduced-radar cross section gun shield.
I wonder why? maybe because they're already too old?

Jokes aside, it should be simpler to stick to one version of these guns than having multiple version of it, from the view of maintenance; crew training; spare-part; performance; etc considering we already got 9 Super Rapid version and only 6 Compact gun from 1976 which would largely simplified our logistical footprint and also training (using & maintaining the gun) if the old 76mm Compact version were due to be retired.
Why should Bakamla used these old 76mm in the first place?
Do they have no budget to get themselves new 76mm gun for their own ships?
Last time I check Bakamla doesn't rely on TNI-AL for their budget.

Might I remind you that these gun was 40+ years old already, if it was stored on a warehouse far from sea water and not been used to fire a shell then it would be perfectly fine (like on Bung Tomo-class gun) but these gun has been continuously used at sea on operational warship that also periodically does firing exercise, sure they may get some preventative maintenance when the ships laid up periodically but we don't know about the metal fatigue, and a 40 years propagation (and more if we do continue to use it) of micro-cracks on the metal met with salt water and firing exercise will do wonders to your gun or worse your whole ship if there is a lapse on maintenance.
Lebih baik di jual sebagai part buat angkatan laut yang masih pakai versi Compact, jatuhnya lebih hemat secara jangka panjang, IMO.

gegana operator and Brimob Indonesian Police

29401609_442714686161826_7658123204996628480_n.jpg
brimob-F-Cecep-Mulyana.jpg
27573716_323613071464577_3222247360683835392_n.jpg
50026701_179981459629648_7690671338183926_n.jpg
20190314085707.jpg

Oh, is that correct ?

That's exactly what Im thinking, the larger coast guard vessel (80M and 110M) ones should atleast be equipped with one heavy weaponry considering that this boat will be facing intimidation from other nation coast guard, im looking forward that the mistral simbad onboard the van speijk will also be repurposed for the KCR
And dont forget those C802, i think its wise to install it in our FPB 57 nav iv dan nav V as not all of them are now mjssile capable
Might I remind you that these gun was 40+ years old already,
Lebih baik di jual sebagai part buat angkatan laut yang masih pakai versi Compact, jatuhnya lebih hemat secara jangka panjang, IMO.

guys, pls check abt KRI Bung Tomo main gun system. as i read in some sources. its said NR(nakhoda ragam) class installed with otmel 76 mm super rapid, but i dunno abt sigma corvette.

abt 76mm gun. well, i dont think navy would let big gun or any fire power use by CG atm. since our CG never use, 20 or 30mm either.
remember, navy still has future OPV requirements. might be good if they fitted the opv with otmel 76mm, our friendly neighbor did too

iver class reuse otmel 76mm also. it took from old ships, same gun with VS class. danish navy req the U.S. Mk 45 Mod 4 5 inch gun, but so pricey, its abt $50 million each.

guys, pls check abt KRI Bung Tomo main gun system. as i read in some sources. its said NR(nakhoda ragam) class installed with otmel 76 mm super rapid, but i dunno abt sigma corvette.

abt 76mm gun. well, i dont think navy would let big gun or any fire power use by CG atm. since our CG never use, 20 or 30mm either.
remember, navy still has future OPV requirements. might be good if they fitted the opv with otmel 76mm, our friendly neighbor did too

iver class reuse otmel 76mm also. it took from old ships, same gun with VS class. danish navy req the U.S. Mk 45 Mod 4 5 inch gun, but so pricey, its abt $50 million each.

According to many sources its super rapid version because compatto version is not in production anymore

https://www.naval-technology.com/projects/sigma-class-corvettes/

http://www.seen2.com/learn?s=Otobreda_76_mm

his statements:

Our former navy Chief Adm. Ade Supandi said that the navy needs 25 units of PKR.

https://m.antaranews.com/berita/540828/komisi-i-tni-al-rapat-soal-pembangunan-arsenal-militer

The 25 units of PKR is supposed to replace our 16 Parchim, 3 Malahayati and 6 VS.

If they want bigger ships it will add more power.

Basically we have 2 CGs viz. KPLP and Bakamla.

KPLP is a part of our Transportation Ministry while Bakamla is the new CG who will back-up our Navy.

Thus the new CG Bakamla ships are able to be installed with bigger naval gun viz. 57 to 76 mm.

While our navy ships will have various naval gun depends on the ship's size.

Btw, oto melara 127/64 allegeritto (light weight) cannon is much cheaper than their bae counterparts, almost 50 percentage less.

And we had long coorperation with Oto Melara sub of Leonardo defense system compared to bae group Naval system so i much expect if Itver acquired most likely it will be Oto Melara products to supply the main cannon

Last edited:
Btw, oto melara 127/64 allegeritto (light weight) cannon is much cheaper than their bae counterparts, almost 50 percentage less.

And we had long coorperation with Oto Melara sub of Leonardo defense system compared to bae group Naval system so i much expect if Itver acquired most likely it will be Oto Melara products to supply the main cannon
I dont know if the navy would want to stock more 127mm round instead of the usual 76mm round .

Our former navy Chief Adm. Ade Supandi said that the navy needs 25 units of PKR.

https://m.antaranews.com/berita/540828/komisi-i-tni-al-rapat-soal-pembangunan-arsenal-militer

The 25 units of PKR is supposed to replace our 16 Parchim, 3 Malahayati and 6 VS.

If they want bigger ships it will add more power.

Basically we have 2 CGs viz. KPLP and Bakamla.

KPLP is a part of our Transportation Ministry while Bakamla is the new CG who will back-up our Navy.

Thus the new CG Bakamla ships are able to be installed with bigger naval gun viz. 57 to 76 mm.

While our navy ships will have various naval gun depends on the ship's size.
I remember those aswell, but it seems if our navy wants to add another 19 sigma's it'll have to outsource the manufacturing to other shipyards, such as in batam.

I dont know if the navy would want to stock more 127mm round instead of the usual 76mm round .

According to some sources from internal Navy itself, our Navy is in dire need of heavier caliber Naval cannon for ground support, otmel 76 mm is too light meanwhile bofors 120 mm cannon is too uncommon in market.

Pics of operational cars TNI

358870_10474617012018_Kodim_0615t.jpg
pangdam-iskandar-muda-pilih-vw-kodok-klasik-sebagai-mobil-dinas.jpg
DSC_6829-800x535.jpg
IMG-20190125-WA0059-1210x642.jpg
72RAND 2.jpg
20160323_150811.jpg
DSC0068.jpg
CDR_0594.jpg

Banyak avanzah dan innovah

garuda peace keeping unit build temporary operation base, using dirts and HESCO walls

53853864_2226496964039402_8024533466383122432_o.jpg
54256765_2226496764039422_7024096722557075456_o.jpg
53700354_2226496730706092_8727267451189854208_o.jpg
53016190_2226496574039441_1052313630864834560_o.jpg

This semi permanent Hesco wall is effective against small arms, grenade even RPG type assault

Back
Top Bottom