Reaction score
Country
China
India’s Tejas programme suffers more delays

Jon Grevatt
- IHS Jane's Defence Industry

09 August 2017

1510491_-_main.jpg

The Indian Air Force has received just four Tejas LCA aircraft out of an order for 40 placed in 2005. Source: IHS Markit/Patrick Allen

The Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD) has revealed further delays in the country’s programme to produce the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) for the Indian Air Force (IAF).

The MoD said in a statement on 4 August that state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has delivered just four aircraft to the IAF out of 40 ordered in 2005. All these aircraft were previously scheduled to be delivered to the IAF by 2017–18.

The four aircraft so far delivered are from a batch of 20 designated for initial operational clearance (IOC), while the remaining 20 aircraft were designated for final operational clearance (FOC).

The MoD said that 12 remaining aircraft under the IOC batch are at the production stage and four more aircraft, which will be used as trainers, will be produced following necessary approvals by the MoD’s Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).

It added that production of the 20 FOC aircraft will also depend on clearance by the ADA, which has led the Tejas development programme for the past three decades.

The MoD said that HAL has undertaken a raft of initiatives to increase the production rate of the Tejas LCA.

These include, it said, HAL obtaining authorisation in March 2017 from the government to ramp-up production capacity from eight to 16 aircraft per year, and the establishment of a second manufacturing line to support “structural and equipping activities”.

HAL has also increased the number of jigs involved in manufacturing the aircraft’s front fuselage, centre fuselage, rear fuselage and wings, and reduced the manufacturing cycle time by improving supply chain management and boosting workforce.

Want to read more? For analysis on this article and access to all our insight content, please enquire about our subscription options: ihs.com/contact

To read the full article, Client Login

(285 of 524 words)

Thank you Southie, this source says Two Tejas delivered to IAF in July 2016. @doe33 claimed a squadron is formed. From what i know a squadron strength is 12 or 18, this source does not mention such number produced, what am i missing?
He is talking about the number build including prototypes. Which is at 20.

Producing 8 air crafts per year now. Probably increase the production using Hawk assembly lines.

Going to induct 120 air crafts of Mk-1A type.

Thank you Southie, this source says Two Tejas delivered to IAF in July 2016. @doe33 claimed a squadron is formed. From what i know a squadron strength is 12 or 18, this source does not mention such number produced, what am i missing?
I didn't say full squardron..We didn't even have more than one production line when it was first inducted.Now production capacity is at 8 a year with one more production line added last year.Will increase further once more production lines are added.It will reach to 12 once 3rd is added on 2018.

I didn't say full squardron..We didn't even have more than one production line when it was first inducted.Now production capacity is at 8 a year with one more production line added last year.Will increase further once more production lines are added.It will reach to 12 once 3rd is added on 2018.

unfortunately making aircraft not as easy as opening production line.

my dad is an aircraft engineer...the amount of work required into getting the planes ready from nothing is only insane.

just one rolls royce engine itself requires thousands of man hours, not to mention the amount of inspection that goes into every fan blade.

making an aircraft is having thousands of perfect and individual items coming together.

India might have 4 production lines but at best only marginal increase in production if the aircraft engineers are not plenty

sooner or later, china j20 production will be more than tejas in numbers.

trust me. Im never wrong.

and when that happens i will throw all the india cheerleaders in defence.pk into the engine of the tejas

Back
Top Bottom