What's new

'India's secret N-submarine project nearing completion'

is the atv of same specifications as akula 2??

No, its a different design. It wont be near the capability of the Akula 2. The reactor is a first operational attempt at miniaturization, sound deadening, etc, etc, etc.

What ATV will do is provide a solid base for future indigenous nuke subs.

Hi,

Shiv Aroor's blog says that the ATV is likely to be launched on July-26 (Vijay Divas). It seems there was a meeting today to decide upon the launch date.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

LiveFist

welll again I say its worthless having half capability ATV for indian navy ...Indian Goc should go for additional russians akula subs...

welll again I say its worthless having half capability ATV for indian navy ...Indian Goc should go for additional russians akula subs...

Dude what do you mean by 'half capability'? If you start comparing military hardware that way, then every thing that we have is relatively half in capability compared to some other system some where else in the world. When going for a specific system, that too indigenous one only needs to compare its capability vis-a-vis one's adversary's. In our case it is Pakistan and China. Pakistan doesn't have any nuclear subs while Chinese nuclear subs' capabilities are unknown. When that is the case you should be looking at the system's capability in isolation

The ATV (first 3) will have 12 launch tubes with 2.4 diameter each.

The K15 SLBM (700 km with full payload) is 0.74 meters in dia. Hence, 3 missiles can be loaded into each launch tube. The Agni III SLBM (3500-400km range with full payload) is 2 meters in dia.

So, technically, the ATV can carry

12 K15 SLBMs + 8 Agni III SLBM

or

36 K15 SLBMs (3 in each tube)

or

12 Agni III SLBM

plus the additional armaments like torpedoes and mines!

Totally we will have 3 ATVs by 2015 and 6 by 2020. Add to that we will also have 1-2 Akula-II class subs by the year end! I think that is more than enough fire power for the Indian Navy!

Baba re aisa hai kya ATV apna ....... chalo fir to badhiya hai .....pehle batana tha na humka .... Skool bhaiya .....

everycountry get his right to developed nuclear submarine. members among the BRICs have and should be going to have the nuclear submarine. Russia have the the nuclear submarine for a long history, china build its first nuclear submarine during the 1970, now indian and Brazil are going to have their nuclear submarine. so congrated

Vice Admiral (Retd) DSP Varma, DGATVP (Director General - Advanced Technology Vessel Project) will oversee the long-awaited, yet historic launch of India's first nuclear submarine later this month, or early August. India Today Associate Editor Sandeep Unnithan reports that one of the dates being considered for the launch is July 26, Vijay Diwas. Another possible date is August 15. Unnithan also reports that two more hulls are ready for fabrication by Larsen & Toubro, which will ultimately become ATV-2 and 3. The launch is, of course, merely the beginning of what could be a protracted trial process, that will involve a few years of harbour and sea trials before the submarine can be commissioned into Indian Naval service.
Courtesy Live fist

Sandeep Unnithan

July 2, 2009

Delhi: After a seemingly endless wait, the floodgates in the drydock where India’s first nuclear powered submarine is being built, will finally be opened to the sea. One of the dates being considered for the launch of what is euphemistically called the ‘Advanced Technology Vessel (ATV)’ at Visakhapatnam’s Naval Dockyard is July 26.

The date marks Vijay Diwas, the 10th anniversary of the eviction of Pakistani intruders from the Kargil heights. The launch of the 6,000-tonne submarine—for long one of India’s most closely guarded defence secrets—is part of a joint navy and DRDO project to provide a secure secondstrike capability or the ability to launch nuclear weapons from underwater without detection.

The sub (a modified design of Russia’s Charlie class nuclear powered submarine which India leased and used as the INS Chakra for three years) will make India the sixth country in the world to operate an N-sub. The launch is only the first step in a two-year process where the submarine will undergo harbour trials of its nuclear reactor and systems before the vital sea trials. Two more hulls are ready for fabrication at the Shipbuilding Centre, a drydock in the Naval Dockyard.

Out of the dock: India Today - Latest Breaking News from India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood.

Baba re aisa hai kya ATV apna ....... chalo fir to badhiya hai .....pehle batana tha na humka .... Skool bhaiya .....

Lalu ji ke gaon se ho kya?? 3 page solid material post kiya hai, kam se kam padh toh lete. Chalo koi baat nahi. 'Dobara mat poochna'!!!

Hi i'm new here,
I suppose the trials will see how the reactor is working out.Anyone know the maximum dive depth of the ATV?

is the atv of same specifications as akula 2??

No, Akula 2 can be classified as SSN where as ATV is meant for SSBN, naturally resulting in a different specification.

Chinese nuclear subs or Indian nuclear Subs ,,,which r far advanced?

Where is the India n-sub. to classify it with our chinese counterpart?

then its worthless having half capability ATV ..... why not IND Gov goves for additional nuclear subs from Russia......

you wont get a full fledged sub right from the sketch, I would better like to pay Rs. 2 as tax for an Indian Sub. rather than Rs. 1 for a Firangi sub....leasing strategic asset all the way would take you no way in the long run.

everycountry get his right to developed nuclear submarine. members among the BRICs have and should be going to have the nuclear submarine. Russia have the the nuclear submarine for a long history, china build its first nuclear submarine during the 1970, now indian and Brazil are going to have their nuclear submarine. so congrated

So kind, I regret that I don't have a thanks putting button as I am a newbie here, any ways I too wish China to prosper with flying colours and all the best for its people.

Hi i'm new here,
I suppose the trials will see how the reactor is working out.Anyone know the maximum dive depth of the ATV?

I am a newbie too, the trial is for validifying all area of experience needed to build nuclear submarines, including n-reactor and the operation, moreover knowing the maximum depth is impossible as it remains classified and even to speculate as it is one of the best kept secret of Indian weapon program, at least one have to see it to speculate it. plus no reliable source had declared its structural design composition, hence speculating its maximum dive capability would be void.

Is anyone aware if this lease comes with an option to aquire the submarine after the lease expires ?

No, their is no option of buying a nuclear submarine, if there was such options that India would already have a few n-sub in its arsenal

Yes, at the end of the lease period the Indian Navy could either renew the lease or buy the Akula outright or the submarine could revert back to Russia. We will be paying them $50 million a year for the 10 yrs of the lease period after which it can be bought out on payment of an additional amount.

That's what some of the media reports says, may be they have forgotted that their are certain rules that stops a nation from selling nuclears weapons (including subs.) or the are just misinforming the people, BTW it is a loop hole in the treaty(i don't remember its name) by which Russia is providing n-subs to India at lease, but definitely cannot be bought unless the treaty is broken. Which Russia won't do only for the sake of India.

Screaming Skull, there were also reports that this will be the first of 2 Akula subs that we want to lease. Is that correct and if so, when will the
second one come?

presently no report of any 2nd n-sub to be delivered to India but may be likely possible in the cover of escalating price hike of the Goskhov (as per some expert believes) but for me its not the case BTW why do we need Akulas? my answer is to evaulate and to train the crews for operating ATV's when it would be ready. IMO Akulas should never go in operations and would be used only for training purpose.

SREAMING SKULL...ONE THING I AM SURE OFF THE INDIAN ATV WILL COME AFTER I READ ALL YOUR POSTS...PROBABLY IAM NOT VERY GOOD IN ENGLISH...I ASSUME I CAN COMPLETE READING YOUR ARTICLE IN 15-20 YEARS

Thank you for you kind faith Sir, we are now already seeing the dawn of an new era of Indian Navy. Faith from people like you makes dream come true.

i read a few articles which u posted!
dats good for ur country!
bt can u tell me at prresent how many nuclear submarines india have???

mate currently we operate 0 n-sub, that means we don't have any operational nuclear sub. now though back in history we have leased as charlie class for ten years from the Soviet whose lease period of 10 years have not been extended due to certain issue.

Russia leasing only 1 of its Akula sub to India for 10 years lease.......

for 10 years with an option to increase the lease period to be presice, but who knows what the game behind the politicians and our defense planners.

NEW DELHI — India test-fired a medium-range, nuclear-capable missile Wednesday from a land-based launcher in eastern India, a defense ministry official said.

The weapon tested was a K-15 missile, an undersea submarine-launched ballistic missile with a range of up to 435 miles, said the officer on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to reporters.

It was fired from a test range in Chandipur in eastern Orissa state, nearly 700 miles southeast of New Delhi.

675a960301ac3a87ac5fbdb32b5e5087.jpg

Nov. 12: A missile lifts off from a test range in Balasore in eastern Indian state of Orissa, India.

India and longtime rival Pakistan routinely test-fire missiles. They usually notify each other ahead of missile launches in keeping with an agreement between the two nations.

India test-fired the K-15 missile from a pontoon immersed in the sea earlier this year.

India's current crop of missiles are mostly intended for confronting neighboring archrival Pakistan.

The Agni 3, in contrast, is India's longest-range missile, designed to reach 1,900 miles -- putting China's major cities well into range, as well as targets deep in the Middle East.

India and Pakistan have fought three wars since their independence from Britain in 1947. They have been holding peace talks since 1994 aimed at resolving their differences, including their dispute over the Himalayan region of Kashmir.

I don't know where all this news comes from for god sake the missile shown in the pic is a 'Shaurya'. it is a land based tactical short range ballistic missile system ans it it not meant to be launched from an underwater plateform, though their may be other parallel development for such a system, but as per my source its should be 700 KMs not miles.

Hi zero,

First of all welcome to the forum! Hope you have an enjoyable stay here.

Coming back to some of the points you raised in your posts-

No, their is no option of buying a nuclear submarine, if there was such options that India would already have a few n-sub in its arsenal

That's what some of the media reports says, may be they have forgotted that their are certain rules that stops a nation from selling nuclears weapons (including subs.) or the are just misinforming the people, BTW it is a loop hole in the treaty(i don't remember its name) by which Russia is providing n-subs to India at lease, but definitely cannot be bought unless the treaty is broken. Which Russia won't do only for the sake of India.

There is absolutely no international treaty in the world that stops any country from selling or buying a nuclear powered submarine or nuclear powered ships. You can look up yourself if you want. A country will violate the Non-proliferation treaty (NPT) only if it provides detailed drawings and know how to build a Nuclear power plant to another country. Buying or selling of nuke subs does not violate the NPT in any way! This is a major drawback (from the west’s perspective) which has been effectively exploited by the Russians. However, most countries do have stringent internal policies which prevent them from selling advanced weapon systems such as nuke subs to other countries.

Also, your argument that India would have bought a nuke sub long back if it was possible to buy one does not hold for many reasons. One, we did not have the money to buy nuke subs few decades back. When we did have the money, we decided to build our own subs. USSR was pretty strong and wealthy till 86, so there was no need for them sell their advanced weapons for a few bucks. China has a no first use policy like us. Pakistan publicly declared its nuke arsenal and nuke policy only in 98, so a nuke sub which is predominantly a platform for second strike capability was required only post 98.

I don't know where all this news comes from for god sake the missile shown in the pic is a 'Shaurya'. it is a land based tactical short range ballistic missile system ans it it not meant to be launched from an underwater plateform, though their may be other parallel development for such a system, but as per my source its should be 700 KMs not miles.

Indeed the missile shown in the pic is ‘Shourya’. But, does the report claim otherwise? Look at the caption of the fig; it says ‘A missile…..’ It doesn’t say that the pic is of K-15. I guess it was added only to increase the visual impact of the report in the unavailability of the pics of K-15.

Also, the Shourya missile programme was initiated as project K-15 and both Shourya and Sagarika share a common design. In essence, K-15, Shourya and Sagarika are variants of the same missile.

You are mistaken with the range again. The report says the range of the missile is 435 miles which works out to be 700 km. 700 miles is the distance of Orissa from New Delhi!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom