What's new

India’s Nuclear Triad Finally Coming of Age

On contrary , the reactors will be fastest part of the project for obvious reason. More time will be needed for construction.
It is said that more powerful design is being made for next series of SSBNs which will be bigger than Arihant class
But, mate, we must also make sure not let any accident happen otherwise the media at home and specially abroad would have a field day with the news. Best of luck to our agencies and I really hope we get the three subs and the follow on subs in the coming years.

Any idea if the two upcoming subs would be of the same dimensions or would they be larger?

But, mate, we must also make sure not let any accident happen otherwise the media at home and specially abroad would have a field day with the news. Best of luck to our agencies and I really hope we get the three subs and the follow on subs in the coming years.

Any idea if the two upcoming subs would be of the same dimensions or would they be larger?
Don't worry our reactor tech is safe and we are making reactors from decades. Main challenge was to miniaturise them to fit in a tube. Rest is proven and time tested.
First four will be of same series 3 n 4 is said to be slightly bigger.

I don't know man, maybe i succumbed to rumors. But we need to develop SSNs.
what advantages SSN has over SSBN n why cant we use a SSBN as a SSN,,,,,?

rookie asking:confused:
just tell me how is a SSN any different from SSBN,other then the later ballistic abilty...

just tell me how is a SSN any different from SSBN,other then the later ballistic abilty...

I'm a rookie too, but the apparent advantages of SSN is the size, and cost.

SSN are hunter killer subs they are quieter, smaller and more agile compared to their bigger brother SSBN which are designed and made for ballistic missiles. SSBN primary role is to create the third leg of a nuclear tirade and are not usually used to hunt down other subs and ships like the SSN.

SSN are hunter killer subs they are quieter, smaller and more agile compared to their bigger brother SSBN which are designed and made for ballistic missiles. SSBN primary role is to create the third leg of a nuclear tirade and are not usually used to hunt down other subs and ships like the SSN.
does that mean SSBN can used as SSN?:undecided:

SSBN hide itself from other hunters and its main purpose is to deliver BMs from secure location. They are generally bigger in size as they have BM.

SSN are hunters which are hunt down enemy subs and ships and patrol waters. They are faster and sustain long enough in deep water without have to emerge on surface. They are comparatively smaller in size
Different role and different shapes and different size.

End of 2014 isnt far, lets see if my fingers work or my addiction to being right by gambling over past facts.
K-15 test from Arihant is said to be in next 2/3 months. But trials has to be complete in all weather and conditions so they will be year long and will take place in every condition.

SSBNs are usually bigger and more strategic of the two. It has to carry heavy ballistic missiles and are a true icon of power. SSNs on the other hand is more agile,must have stealth,endurance and range

does that mean SSBN can used as SSN?:undecided:
They can, but would not be worth the cost since they are larger and usually make more noise and are easier to detect because of their size. So cost wise it would be waste of money, since conventional subs can do the same role and would be more successful in that aspect.

SSN are attack Subs and carry anti ship cruise Missiles
Eg INS Chakra which carries Klub N cruise Missiles

SSBN are meant for Nuclear Delivery and come equipped with Ballistic Missiles
Eg Ohio Class, Vanguard Class

SSN are meant to be more silent than SSBN
They are also intended to be smaller and cheaper
Eg Astute class SSN of Royal Navy weighs around 8000 Ton, and cost 1.2 Billion GBP,
But their next generation SSBN which will replace the Vanguard Class are expected to weigh around 14000 Tons and cost upwards of 4 Billion GBP each

This theory however is not valid for India

Indian Navy has projected the requirement for 3 SSBN and 6 SSN

I remember, reading an article in 2011, about the designs being proposed for the SSN
DRDO had proposed a 4500-5000 Ton design based on the Arihant class , which would have cost Rs 30000 Crore for a batch of 6 Subs
This was rejected by the Navy because , the Projected armament of just 8 Brahmos Cruise Missiles and 18 Heavy Torpedoes was well bellow what the navy wanted, also the navy wanted a more improved design with a much lower acoustic signature .
According to former Navy chief Adm Suresh Mehta " The design proposed by the DRDO did not offer much capability enhancements, apart from the endurance, over the Scorpene class already being inducted and the navy would like DRDO to incorporate the feedback provided by its personals operating the chakra, into the SSN design".

What that basically Meant was that Navy wants an SSN with the firepower of the Akula II and the stealth of the HMS Astute

This is what we are likely to see,
Since most rumours point out that the Nuclear subs which will follow the Arihant class will be 8000 Ton category subs capable of Carrying 16 Brahmos/Nirbhay and 24 Heavy Torpedoes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom