What's new

India's futuristic soldier to be ready in three years

so what are the list now? any idea?

IMI is banned for 10 years - so not sure about the Tavor( is it a multi barrel?) - which can be supplied through IWI.

I would bet on the AK 12.

OR

On the ARX 160 - if the marines come back ;)

others in the reckoning

Bren
cz_805s_2_zpsc75c0c73.jpg

Colt
SHOT-Colt901-2_zps65a14e56.jpg

Please Equip Infantry with an Indian Rifle

No, equip them with the best. If DRDO can't do it, then it's fine. They have never made a high tech rifle before, only mediocre ones. If they absorb the tech under ToT, and give time to OFB for improving their production lines, it will do us good.

IMI is banned for 10 years - so not sure about the Tavor( is it a multi barrel?) - which can be supplied through IWI.

It has 5.56 and 9 mm barrels.

Please Explain ,
How this gonna help domestic industry ???

Do you want to say our PSU's are under funded ???

Indian army used Insas for more than decade. What improvement in quality were made during all that period still today ???

The INSAS, has seen a lot of improvement, better and more durable polymers, new grenade launcher, etc.

While I know that INSAS is not even close to an amazing rifle, it's an insult to say it's not good or hasn't been improved.

A corruption case just came up yesterday regarding Sig Suer. :D, so most likely off the list too.

That's a VERY old case and there are many strange aspects to this case. Anyway the case involved involves US-based companies and not the Swiss-based Sig proper. I don't see any blacklisting coming about.

My hopes are for either of these:

CZ-805 BREN

CZ_805_BREN_popis_A1.jpg

ARX-160

prima_dieci.jpg

Before you start, the ongoing AW-101 issue and Italian marine saga will have 0 impact on this deal, so the ARX-160 still in it.

That's a VERY old case and there are many strange aspects to this case. Anyway the case involved involves US-based companies and not the Swiss-based Sig proper. I don't see any blacklisting coming about.

My hopes are for either of these:

CZ-805 BREN

CZ_805_BREN_popis_A1.jpg

ARX-160

prima_dieci.jpg

Before you start, the ongoing AW-101 issue and Italian marine saga will have 0 impact on this deal, so the ARX-160 still in it.

The case has rared its head again ....and if the marine tiff continues then Beretta doesn't have a chance by a long shot.

I like the Bren too. How about FN?

the lack of attention to cleaning the rifles shown by our army men

Personal experience - have witnessed it - I am not talking of the SF's, but about the infantry men. Many complicated AR's require complete care, with regular maintenance and cleaning which our Million strong army men cannot ensure and is not practically possible - going by the environments they operate and are posted in.

Do not encourage trolls.

Maybe in the past sir, not in today and certainly not so in the future. The Indian military as a whole is imparting ever more training to their personnel and is increasing qualitifcations required for recruiting. Not to mention most modern firearms are actually themselves very rugged and easy to maintain.

The AK is based on a 60+ year old design, there's nothing "futuristic" about it. if this rifle was so good Indian and even Russian SOFs would already be operating it.

How's this for ruggedness:

You can see why the Indian SOFs swear by this familiy of weapons:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing comes close to an AK's robustness and going by the rough handling and the lack of attention to cleaning the rifles shown by our army men plus the varied weather conditions and topography, an AK would be the ideal choice.

India has been producing the AK fro a while now and the familiarity already exists.

The case has rared its head again ....and if the marine tiff continues then Beretta doesn't have a chance by a long shot.

I like the Bren too. How about FN?

The case has reared its head again but only because of the stupid "desi" media who are having a field day with anything relating to defence and corruption scandals.Trust me, I've looked into the Sig Suar+ Verma case, and this incident has ZERO baring on this ongoing program as the Verma case involves a US based firm who was somehow offering the SIGs to India. The ongoing future AR competion involves the Swiss-based SIG OEM proper and hence is a different entity to those under the scanner. As such there is no problem at all. Having sad that I would prefer to see the ARX-160 or BREN. The ARX-160 is just an excellent rifle. I really doubt the spat between India and Italy over the Marines will affect defence deals, there is a lot more than just this AR deal at stake and that includes pending and signed deals.

And AFAIK the FN (SCAR) isn't in the fray, for some inexplicable reason. Maybe because of price?

+ @illusion8 wrt IMI blacklisiting, there was recent news that all blacklistings in the past 10 years imposed by the MoD had been revoked and that includes the one for IMI. But given the small arms subsidiary (IWI) is separate to IMI, the original blacklist had no affect on India's small arms procurements from Israel as we can see given the mammoth amount of Tavors the Indian forces (military and police) have received or ordered in the past few years.

Maybe in the past sir, not in today and certainly not so in the future. The Indian military as a whole is imparting ever more training to their personnel and is increasing qualitifcations required for recruiting. Not to mention most modern firearms are actually themselves very rugged and easy to maintain.

The AK is based on a 60+ year old design, there's nothing "futuristic" about it. if this rifle was so good Indian and even Russian SOFs would already be operating it.

How's this for ruggedness:

But nothing comes close to the AK's, Infantry men would require something seriously rugged and fault proof depending on the kind of places they are deployed and availability of proper spares and cleaning liquids for the polymer rifles in bunkers and outposts., ARX 160 is the easiest and most user friendly of all and it had a high chance in the line up - but if there is a diplomatic fallout between India and Italy it will surely be thrown out.

And AFAIK the FN (SCAR) isn't in the fray, for some inexplicable reason. Maybe because of price?

+ @illusion8 wrt IMI blacklisiting, there was recent news that all blacklistings in the past 10 years imposed by the MoD had been revoked and that includes the one for IMI. But given the small arms subsidiary (IWI) is separate to IMI, the original blacklist had no affect on India's small arms procurements from Israel as we can see given the mammoth amount of Tavors the Indian forces (military and police) have received or ordered in the past few years.

RFP was sent to more than 60 vendors and manufacturers - FN might possibly be one of them, and Tavor tar21 does not fulfill the rfp requirement for multi barels.

RFP was sent to more than 60 vendors and manufacturers - FN might possibly be one of them, and Tavor tar21 does not fulfill the rfp requirement for multi barels.

It is possible. However the procurement is late into trails and evaluations and AFAIK only 5-6 bidders are in and FN isn't one of them. It's a shame because the SCAR is AWESOME.

+ I know Tavor isn't in the fray but was addressing your earlier comments about IMI being blacklisted.

Why should it only be indigenous? if something which is better and more suited for our requirements is to be bought form abroad we should . the defense of our country comes first not some so called pride in Indigenous equipment.

Besides, we need funds for keeping in foreign bank accounts.

Please don't worry, we have very close relations with foreign arms middlemen and bankers. They will not blackmail our party high command and they have verbally assured us that they will not cut supplies by more than 50% in case of war.

EzioAltaïr;4058656 said:
While I know that INSAS is not even close to an amazing rifle, it's an insult to say it's not good or hasn't been improved.

Try telling that to indian army :tup:

Back
Top Bottom