What's new

India’s first Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator Vehicle being tested

The problem is we do not proclaim that. It is the US who monitor our test ,attest that only US and China are the 2 countries that conduct real field test of hypersonic vehicle.

And you see, Indian brag again. You have so far conducted none of hypersonic vehicle. A free falling ballistic warhead is not a hyersonic vehicle. It does not have air breathing propulsion which so called scramjet. Nor can it change course dramatically like a real cruise missile.

If that so. Pakistan will have a hypersonice vehicle weapon too. Since their ballistic missile can attain mach 7.5 speed too.

Passive test of Scram jet was done on board sounding rocket in 2010 by ISRO to study aero-dynamic characteristics ...

The field test of this scramjet engine by DRDO which is independent programme will be undertaken this year ...
This has been planned since 2011 . The article posted above from tarmacblogspot actually is from 2011 .

So several technologies, subsystems involved are being tested ...and as was forecasted the formal test of HSTDV will take place this year ...

No boasting here ..... we are just discussing what is in the offing .

hstdv0gw.jpg

Arent we building one?
what about supersonic testing facility?
Do we have all the facilities for testing Kaveri engine?

we do have now ....

The article is 2 year old ....

Look at the link below

Wind Tunnel Test Facilities in India
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT34.html']Shock Tunnel No.2(DAE, IIT - Madras)
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT35.html']Wind Tunnel No.1(DSER, BIT Mesra,Ranchi)
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT36.html']Wind Tunnel No.2 ( DSER, BIT Mesra, Ranchi)
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT37.html']Wind Tunnel No.3 (DSER, BIT Mesra, Ranchi)
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT38.html']Large Size Wind Tunnel Facility (MIT, Anna University, Chennai)
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT39.html']Medium Size Wind Tunnel Facility (MIT, Anna University, Chennai)
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT40.html']Table Top Wind Tunnel Facility ( MIT, Anna University, Chennai)
  • [URL='http://atfi.dlis.du.ac.in/WTT41.html']Hyderodynamics Test Facility -Wind Tunnel Testing Facility (NSTL,Visakhapatnam)
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
we do have now ....

The article is 2 year old ....

Look at the link below

::Wind Tunnel Test Facilities in India::

Wind Tunnel Test Facilities in India

My friend who did ME from MS university told me that MS uni (Baroda) has wind tunnel facility and he had some photographs of object under wind tunnel. MS Uni has ramjet engine also.

Here is an excerpt from Sppech by Mr M Natarajan , Scientific Advisor to defence Minister during conference organized by Aeronautican Society of India at Hyderabad in 2007.

Obviously we are much behind the schedule in testing HSTDV ...

http://www.aesi-hyd.com/hypersonic_conference/contents/Mr M Natarajan.pdf

" The most critical technologies to be developed for the Hypersonic Technology Demonstrator (HSTDV) Project are the scramjet engine and the engine integrated hypersonic vehicle. A lot of work has gone into the development of the above technologies towards realizing hypersonic flight vehicle to operate for a duration of 20 seconds considering the available high temperature materials as of today. The materials considered are Niobium C-103 and Nimonic C-263 for the engine and airframe construction. These special materials are fully characterized for their mechanical properties at high temperatures. At present, an integrated design has been carried out considering the total hypersonic vehicle as a whole, since the sub systems are highly interactive, using advanced CFD techniques. The developmental testing and the prototype realization are being carried out towards hypersonic air breathing vehicle flight hopefully at the end of the year 2008. Hypersonic wind tunnel facilities and semi-freejet scramjet engine test facilities are currently not available in our country. The facilities available abroad are being utilized for the present requirement. Work has been initiated to design and establish the hypersonic wind tunnel and freejet facilities in DRDO as well as in ISRO.
During 11'th plan The long duration flight for 400 seconds has been planned to demonstrate active cooling of the engine and the endothermic fuel development. Subsequently, the dual mode ramjet-scramjet propulsion system and the reusable hypersonic vehicle

Video based on pictures taken in same conference ....

Last edited:
Arent we building one?
what about supersonic testing facility?
Do we have all the facilities for testing Kaveri engine?

I have heard that Boing is building a huge wind tunnel in India toward the offset clause.

SO far as supersonic test facility is concern, It is a very high velocity wind tunnel in which supersonic flight of vehicle is mimic and tested. I think India has at least couple of these facilities.

We have ground facility to test Kaveri and other engine upto 120 Kn (Parheps at Iron Bird) . We do not have test platform to test our engine in flight or at high altitude so Kaveri is fitted on one Russian engine as one of the 4 engines Russian plane have. This is done for safety. If single engine fails, rest 3 are working and aircraft is not lost.

Last edited:
ATV D01 had a passive scramjet engine .

Mach 6 was not achieved by the scramjet but by the rocket .

As per the reports I came across ...Scramjet engine have been ground test tested at least 10 times ...

with minimum of 6 seconds duration . some reports say that kerosene based scramjet has been ground tested for 20 seconds ...

The next step is to conduct atmospheric test of HSTDV to validate the technology ....

This test has been in the offing for quite some time .

with background of Chinese test for Hypersonic carrier we should expect test of our own HSDTV very soon !!!

As per the reports I came across ...Scramjet engine have been ground test tested at least 10 times ...

with minimum of 6 seconds duration . some reports say that kerosene based scramjet has been ground tested for 20 seconds ...

The next step is to conduct atmospheric test of HSTDV to validate the technology ....

with background of Chinese test for Hypersonic carrier we should expect test of our own HSDTV very soon !!!

Scremjet is ready. I am searching that article of russian long range missile test in which it is clearly written that India has developed scremjet engine but they do not have the required material to protect the sensitive avionics inside the missile. Test is heldup due to that. I will post it if I can find the same.

We are both talking about different projects .

I was talking about ATV-D02 which is an ISRO project while you are talking about HSDTV which is a DRDO project .

Are there any plans to jointly develop a hypersonic missile?

Figuratively speaking, we are “pushing” Russia towards developing a hypersonic missile. We signed an agreement with MAI (Moscow Aviation Institute) ahead of the previous MAKS. We are also working with many Indian companies and testing various options. The main challenge is to find materials resistant to very high temperatures. Although the hull is made of composite materials, at hypersonic speeds it is subject to heavy friction and high temperatures. To resolve this issue, a coating made of special alloys is being developed. That is an important matter on the agenda. We already have engines of a new design. It is fair to say that a hypersonic missile is only held back by the lack of the requisite materials for the hull.

BrahMos missiles substantially increase strike capacity of India’s armed forces | Russia & India Report

@Indo-guy , @kurup , @jarves

We are both talking about different projects .

I was talking about ATV-D02 which is an ISRO project while you are talking about HSDTV which is a DRDO project .

Indeed these tow are different programmes ...based on same technology .
I am also referring to ATV -D02 programme .

As far as ISRO programme is concerned even ISRO has conducted ground tests of scramjet engine which will form core of its RLV has been ground tested and sustained combustion of scramjet as long as 6 seconds have been achieved ...

The passive test of scramjet engine aboard sounding rocket took place in 2010. ISRO plans to undertake HEX Hypersonic flight experiment in coming years ( no official time line 2014-2017) .

Figuratively speaking, we are “pushing” Russia towards developing a hypersonic missile. We signed an agreement with MAI (Moscow Aviation Institute) ahead of the previous MAKS. We are also working with many Indian companies and testing various options. The main challenge is to find materials resistant to very high temperatures. Although the hull is made of composite materials, at hypersonic speeds it is subject to heavy friction and high temperatures. To resolve this issue, a coating made of special alloys is being developed. That is an important matter on the agenda. We already have engines of a new design. It is fair to say that a hypersonic missile is only held back by the lack of the requisite materials for the hull.

BrahMos missiles substantially increase strike capacity of India’s armed forces | Russia & India Report

@Indo-guy , @kurup , @jarves

Russia is unlikely to participate in Indian Hypersonic missile programme ....due to constrains of MTCR .Especially that India has not been accepted into MTCR yet , although talks are on !.

But even if India is admitted to MTCR , it is unlikely that Russia will join hands with India in such a futuristic programme .

Russia has its own Hypersonic missile programme which is in very advanced phases of development ....

Nevertheless Brahmos joint venture gave India immense insight and hand on experience in dealing with Scramjet , Hypersonic technology..... and we have to be thankful to Russia for that .

Last edited:
Indeed these tow are different programmes ...based on same technology .
I am also referring to ATV -D02 programme .

As far as ISRO programme is concerned even ISRO has conducted ground tests of scramjet engine which will form core of its RLV has been ground tested and sustained combustion of scramjet as long as 6 seconds have been achieved ...

The passive test of scramjet engine aboard sounding rocket took place in 2010. ISRO plans to undertake HEX Hypersonic flight experiment in coming years ( no official time line 2014-2017) .

True but as far as I know HEX has got nothing to do with scramjet technology .

HEX will be used to study the aerodynamics for TSTO and SSTO .

Scremjet is ready. I am searching that article of russian long range missile test in which it is clearly written that India has developed scremjet engine but they do not have the required material to protect the sensitive avionics inside the missile. Test is heldup due to that. I will post it if I can find the same.

Off course India does have scramjet technology ...but we need to upstage and upgrade and advance if we need to extract true potential of this technology .

It will form the core of future weapons and future launch vehicles .

That's the reason why under aegis of DRDO and ISRO we have these to parallel running programmes !!!

Even after the K15 tests , RVs for all our BMs , the reason that we do not have requisite material for hull does not seen like an actual reason .

True but as far as I know HEX has got nothing to do with scramjet technology .

HEX will be used to study the aerodynamics for TSTO and SSTO .

Not really . The HEX , LEX will ultimately culminate into SPEX ...
SPEX (Scramjet Propulsion Experiment) will have RLV-TD further fitted with a scramjet engine. It will get to take off from an airstrip like a regular aircraft, but once in flight it will accelerate to supersonic speed, after which it will activate its air-breathing scramjet engine and accelerate to hypersonic velocity. The scramjet will then switch off and the vehicle will decelerate until it can reactivate its normal jet engines and then return to land at the landing strip like a regular aircraft.

atleast that's the roadmap .....!

Back
Top Bottom