What's new

India's Excalibur and Ghatak Rifles

Pretty low requirements. These are effectively IWI Galil rifles. At least 30 year old technology.

Cost is not a priority, requirements are. OFB also has to compete in the tender with a proper rifle.

https://www.deccanherald.com/national/ordnance-factory-readies-681623.html
Earlier this year, the defence ministry approved a plan to procure nearly 8.1 lakh assault rifles and almost four lakh carbines for close quarter battle.

Out of the total requirement close to 72,400 assault rifles and 93,895 carbines are to be procured on fast track basis to enable the forces to meet their immediate requirement.

Of the remaining 7.3 lakh assault rifles, OFB is assured of an order of 1.8 lakh rifles, if the weapon satisfies the army. The board can also make a bid for the remaining 5.5 lakh rifles for which a Request for Information was floated by the Army headquarters in February 2018.

OFB's orders are not assured.

Do you know anything about Enfield sniper rifle?
Weapon that shoots straight and can hit what you want to hit is good enough for a solider. Be it Morden SCAR or WWII era bolt action 303. But that’s not the point here on PDF ;) people will cry for spending too much and same people will cry for not spending much :rofl:

This is 1970s stuff.
How did you come to that conclusion? What is a modern rifle in your terms? If you consider FN-SCAR or Beretta to be modern based on their looks, they still didn't clear the trails of IA. AK's are still considered the best ARs in the world due to their ruggedness and ease of use in the most hostile environments and reliability.

Moreover, these rifles are for police forces which are more than enough to control internal security. IA would go with an Israeli AR license manufactured in India while DRDO comes up with a world class design.

btw PA is still using the vintage G3 and doesn't even have the potential to design even a basic clone of AK except for those in your illegal gun markets

How did you come to that conclusion? What is a modern rifle in your terms? If you consider FN-SCAR or Beretta to be modern based on their looks, they still didn't clear the trails of IA. AK's are still considered the best ARs in the world due to their ruggedness and ease of use in the most hostile environments and reliability.

Moreover, these rifles are for police forces which are more than enough to control internal security. IA would go with an Israeli AR license manufactured in India while DRDO comes up with a world class design.

btw PA is still using the vintage G3 and doesn't even have the potential to design even a basic clone of AK except for those in your illegal gun markets

we all know the quality of Indian manufactured gun , India is much behind in terms of quality control of their domestic manufactured guns .

we all know the quality of Indian manufactured gun , India is much behind in terms of quality control of their domestic manufactured guns .
Which is why I suggested in my post #2 that the production should be handled by private Indian defense firms.

But hey, we're still manufacturing stuff unlike few who paint Chinese crap

@Papa Dragon can you post some more pictures of Indian state police forces? I am interested in pictures of different law enforcement agencies. I am thinking of starting a thread for U.S state police forces.

@Papa Dragon can you post some more pictures of Indian state police forces? I am interested in pictures of different law enforcement agencies. I am thinking of starting a thread for U.S state police forces.
I don't have pictures of regular state police forces but @Unknowncommando has posted tons of Indian state police spec ops teams and their weaponry on his twitter. You can also check out this link

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indian-emergency-services-police-ambulance-fire.80463/page-106

I don't have pictures of regular state police forces but @Unknowncommando has posted tons of Indian state police spec ops teams and their weaponry on his twitter. You can also check out this link

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/indian-emergency-services-police-ambulance-fire.80463/page-106
Thanks. BTW, one question. Are state police forces in India fully state owned like in the US? I know India is a heavily nationalized country compared to the US, where State Governments have a lot of power. The US actually does not have a Federal Police Agency(That would actually be unconstitutional) but only Federal agencies with a specific jurisdiction(such as the FBI and ICE). Instead, every town and city has its own police force and most counties have a Sheriff's department. Every state except Hawaii has a state law enforcement agency, and their officers are usually called state troopers. Is it something similar in India?

Thanks. BTW, one question. Are state police forces in India fully state owned like in the US? I know India is a heavily nationalized country compared to the US, where State Governments have a lot of power. The US actually does not have a Federal Police Agency(That would actually be unconstitutional) but only Federal agencies with a specific jurisdiction(such as the FBI and ICE). Instead, every town and city has its own police force and most counties have a Sheriff's department. Every state except Hawaii has a state law enforcement agency, and their officers are usually called state troopers. Is it something similar in India?
Yes, I'm aware of the police system in US where there are separate departments for each county but in India, state police and their respective spec ops teams are completely owned by the state. Center has it's presence in each state in the form of paramilitary forces and other agencies but all regular civil and criminal issues are handled by the state police

Yes, I'm aware of the police system in US where there are separate departments for each county but in India, state police and their respective spec ops teams are completely owned by the state. Center has it's presence in each state in the form of paramilitary forces and other agencies but all regular civil and criminal issues are handled by the state police

The heavily armed police mostly belong to big cities. As every body knows in India mostly the guns carrying crowd is very less and the legal licenses as well have very strict conditions on type of guns allowed to be carried. We don’t require a super cop with SWAT like units in most of the cities, towns and villages in India.

Nice looking rifles and quite exceptional considering India is not too seasoned in this industry.

Well at least its not 1950s stuff like G3.
That's quite an ill-witted comment. If you had knowledge on this affair, you would know that the G3 model used by Pakistan Army is much more recent than the 1950s and even so; it's not relevant at all, considering that the G3 is hardly being used now and is in it's last stages of being phased out.

Back
Top Bottom