What's new

India's Defence Budget Hiked by 10% :: Crosses $50 billion

Actual defence budget( minus pensions etc) will be close to 40 billion dollar, that's little bit more than last years budget but not much.

Anyway can anyone compare last year's capital outlay for modernisation compared to this years? Any increase? Also what will happen to last year's unused money? ~2 Billion were unused I think.

Any extra money saved from the capital budget is moved to the revenue budget. In case the revenue budget doesn't need more cash infusion, then the unused funds are returned to the exchequer. The exchequer then uses those funds to balance the budget, or reduce fiscal deficit.

Last year, 94K crores was allocated towards capital budget, which dropped down to 85K crores. 75K crores were used, the rest was returned. There was a reduction in capital budget by 8.5% this year. So it's 78K crores now.

It was reduced due to under-utilization. It means, there were delays in some ongoing projects, so money that was budgeted was unspent. Now, the budget is better balanced. But more needs to be done.

The Chinese defence budget is an enigma. Nobody outside the CCP knows the true value. The official value is obviously bogus. And weirdly enough, China spends more than its official defence budget on internal security, India doesn't. And even that figure is an enigma.

How much is China really spending on its military?
I have no interests in verifying any country's defense budget. I only speak based on the data shown at World Bank.

The Chinese defence budget is an enigma. Nobody outside the CCP knows the true value. The official value is obviously bogus. And weirdly enough, China spends more than its official defence budget on internal security, India doesn't. And even that figure is an enigma.

How much is China really spending on its military?
Also, regarding the expense on internal security, I wonder if US defense budget includes the expense on FBI.

Also, regarding the expense on internal security, I wonder if US defense budget includes the expense on FBI.

US Homeland Security budget was $100B and Intelligence budget should be about the same. So $200B in total. You could complain about it if the US also spent $650-700B on these.

India's internal security budget doesn't exceed $15B in total, security forces and intelligence. And it's so high mainly because almost all of our land borders are dangerous.

No, the US DoD's budget is not lumped together with the FBI's (the FBI's budget comes from the DoJ- Department of Justice) or DHS's.

Reducing troop number is part of the solution not THE solution.

No it ain't,mosyly due to a long and trecherous mountainous border they need to guard all day every day through out the year!!And while we are at it,lets also not forget India borders two countries,with big arse armies themselves,who by the way we do not enjoy the friendliest relationship with!!

Back
Top Bottom