What's new

India's Defence Budget Hiked by 10% :: Crosses $50 billion

Reducing numbers is not a solution.

I have had talked with CRPF men who conduct anti Naxal, operations near my city. They have 2 concerns. 1. the gear they have is highly inadequate. 2. There numbers are less, every time I have met them, they have mentioned that the lack of numbers has hampered operations.
Having seen the police and local law enforcement across India, I think it is pretty much given that they need a complete overhaul of their gear. In a lot of cases we are still using vintage Enfields and in some cases not even that, majority of our Law enforcement don't even have a BPJ.

If I'm being cynical I would say that there is a reason for this. Think about it from a poltican's perspective- they are able to appease one constituency (vetrans) but also able to claim in front of the masses (who are indifferent to such affairs and not interested in the nuances) "I have raised defence spending, I am ensuring you are safe".
Are you sure about appeasing veterans. I know people in Army who are very unhappy. Someone I know is so unhappy that from BJP supporter he became anti.

Lol. The poor black sheep of the world spending so much on the military. Good for us, India will rot from inside!

Then why is poverty in India much higher than in Pakistan?

68625-funny-crying-baby-snot-bubble.jpg

Then why is poverty in India much higher than in Pakistan?

The reason why Poverty looks higher in India than in Pakistan is because Education is still a prerogative of a chosen few in your part of the world. Ask any educated Pakistani and he will tell you how poverty is measured in terms of per-capita. India is among those countries which is alleviating poverty faster and Pakistan's poor are getting poorer..

Let me ask you a question, you spend little on everything, yet 22%+ of your population is poor. India spends mammoth on everything and 20% of our population is poor. We got independence together and you have far less population to take care of. Was it we who went wrong or are you? Think!

Dont hide behind WOT as usual.

They need to trim down the current "defence budget" definition into actual defence expenditure.

The allocation for all government-given pensions should be accounted separately...including pension for ex-Servicemen. It seems cynical to me when you include pension given to ex-personnel who are not contributing to nation's defence at the moment as part of "defence budget".
100% agree!

It's still way better than Pakistan... At least we don't ask fighter planes in AID..we pay hard cash...
And there is so many factors for poverty not just spending on defence...

A nation with security issues like hostile neighbours and facing asymmetric threats should spend at least 2% on defence.. India still spend less than that.. Way less than our neighbours.. China and pakis..

High population is one... We spend good amount on infrastructure and agriculture reforms .....
Indian pdf members should really be more educated on how Indian defence budget is structured. Unlike the rest of the world, Indian defence budget does not include pension for military retirees and other domestic expenditures. Plus those, according to world bank, India actual spends more on defense as the percentage of GDP than that of China.

Indian pdf members should really be more educated on how Indian defence budget is structured. Unlike the rest of the world, Indian defence budget does not include pension for military retirees and other domestic expenditures. Plus those, according to world bank, India actual spends more on defense as the percentage of GDP than that of China.

Source: India's Defence Budget Hiked by 10% :: Crosses $50 billion | Page 2
Numbers are scary, but its the only source of accuracy. But I know bullsh1te when I read it or see it. India does NOT spend more defence than China not even its GDP which is poor way to scope a budget. India spends a lot of defense but CCP is a lot more insecure in this regard. Remember in China, military service is must right? Thats dangerous and expensive. Manpower is cheaper but equipment forign or domestic, costs the same. PLA and its branches have 3 times the numbers. But simply put. Chinas numbers are man made. Off the wall fake and cooked up. Only the CCP knows its real budget, especially when you include the RnD dept. and espionage. Only China would think to buy Sovernmy Class destroyers, and 200+ flankers off the shelf before domestic production begins.
The Government has also set aside a sum of Rs 1,000 crore for this fiscal to do away with anomalies in pensions paid to ex-servicemen under the One Rank One Pension policy, which was accepted by the new government. - See more at: Defence Ministry gets Rs 2.29 lakh cr in Union Budget | The Indian Express
In shot numbers are monitored by independent Auditors. China/CCP not the same.

Chaozhou Vocational Technical School campus life rich and colorful. In May 4th of each year on the eve of the festival, held a "five four" art show and campus singer competition ten. The School Aerobics Team participated in the biennial Chaozhou city schools, kindergartens aerobics competition. Union and community activities. So is the sports, such as basketball tournament, held three. In October each year, the school's high level of students to participate in military training, for a period of one week, instructors from an army Chinese PLA Guangzhou military region in Chaozhou city. Each year in March 12, tree planting day, the school China Communist Youth League members actively participate in tree planting activities.
Mandatory military training was a thing recently wasn't it?

Chinese teens complain compulsory military training too difficult, but teachers say toughen up

Chinese teens complain compulsory military training too difficult, but teachers say toughen up | South China Morning Post

my mistake for the wording but mandatory military training. This is what aggressive or insecure nations do.
For a nation of billion people in a relatively peaceful zone, this is considered very aggressive move.

The Chinese defence budget is an enigma. Nobody outside the CCP knows the true value. The official value is obviously bogus. And weirdly enough, China spends more than its official defence budget on internal security, India doesn't. And even that figure is an enigma.

How much is China really spending on its military?

Actual defence budget( minus pensions etc) will be close to 40 billion dollar, that's little bit more than last years budget but not much.

Anyway can anyone compare last year's capital outlay for modernisation compared to this years? Any increase? Also what will happen to last year's unused money? ~2 Billion were unused I think.

China's defense budget and it's transparency is always questioned in the world.

Reducing numbers is not a solution.

I have had talked with CRPF men who conduct anti Naxal, operations near my city. They have 2 concerns. 1. the gear they have is highly inadequate. 2. There numbers are less, every time I have met them, they have mentioned that the lack of numbers has hampered operations.
Reducing troop number is part of the solution not THE solution.

Unlike the rest of the world, Indian defence budget does not include pension for military retirees and other domestic expenditures.
That is entirely untrue, the defence budget DOES include pensions and other elements that do not contribute to defence spending:
India's Defence Budget Hiked by 10% :: Crosses $50 billion

I'm not sure where you got that notion from.

Actual defence budget( minus pensions etc) will be close to 40 billion dollar, that's little bit more than last years budget but not much.
In real terms the defence budget has contracted for 2016-17.

Anyway can anyone compare last year's capital outlay for modernisation compared to this years? Any increase? Also what will happen to last year's unused money? ~2 Billion were unused I think.
The unused funds are returned to the Fin Min, they do not carry over to the next period.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom