What's new

India's bid to join US alliance could irk China, Pakistan: Chinese media

You are right there is hardly anything we gained from this.......What could be the positives??? I dont see any direct, may be the govt gave away this for something indirect?

Hopefully we will get knowledge of China subs going into the India ocean with USA help.

@anant_s
I'm not very clear but atleast on records, it is categorically stated that troops won't be posted, so essentially there are no bases and hence no permanent presence.
But yes, how does this pact translate in times of conflict, remains to be seen.
At this moment, MTCR and LEMOA gives India, an unprecedented access to technology which was hitherto not available.
I do recall about 10-12 months back when @PARIKRAMA used to mention the kind of deals that were offered by US defence contractors to India and honestly i was in doubts. However in terms of diplomatic time scale, things have moved very quickly and as things stand today, those offers by US companies can actually materialize, should India choose to.

You are referring to this one bro..

upload_2016-8-30_15-31-45.png

https://defence.pk/threads/india-an...military-bases-and-ports.414322/#post-8012283

looks like engine consultancy has gone to Rafale deal folks (Safran). rest points you can be a better judge ..

We got nothing
Sir, if you don't mind, this is one part i would love to hear in detail about. A lot has changed in last one decade after 123 agreement (& while i believe, it was ex PM Dr Singh's efforts of getting US close), NDA government has been pretty decisive in having a clear policy of leaning towards US. In summer of 98, when US had posed huge sanctions on India in aftermath of Pokharan 2, it is almost unbelievable to think that India will get this close to US, strategically speaking.
How is this new situation going to alter India's position on World stage? Are we better off?
So have we gained nothing?

Nothing to read in this.

Lets go back in time to Gulf War 1. Refuelling of ships and aircraft by India facilitated for US.

Operation Enduring Freedom. US handed over it's 'responsibility' of Straits of Malacca to India. Indian Navy tasked as net security provider with US support by GoI, precursor of possible Indian intervention in Iraq (subsequently cancelled).

Indian participation in PSI.

Oh, planned joint Indo-US quick reaction force ex-Manilla in 1991 which did not fructify due to economic reasons in India and Political reasons for US in Philippines. Now that is non open sourced....:devil:
List can be made long. We are just formalising what we have been doing.

Just a quick word.

Sir, if you don't mind, this is one part i would love to hear in detail about. A lot has changed in last one decade after 123 agreement (& while i believe, it was ex PM Dr Singh's efforts of getting US close), NDA government has been pretty decisive in having a clear policy of leaning towards US. In summer of 98, when US had posed huge sanctions on India in aftermath of Pokharan 2, it is almost unbelievable to think that India will get this close to US, strategically speaking.
How is this new situation going to alter India's position on World stage? Are we better off?
So have we gained nothing?

After lunch?

Nothing to read in this.

Lets go back in time to Gulf War 1. Refuelling of ships and aircraft by India facilitated for US.

Operation Enduring Freedom. US handed over it's 'responsibility' of Straits of Malacca to India. Indian Navy tasked as net security provider with US support by GoI, precursor of possible Indian intervention in Iraq (subsequently cancelled).

List can be made long. We are just formalising what we have been doing.

Just a quick word.

We should PRECISELY not have formalised it. Shatang vado ma likho.

One thing the world should understand about India, India only want good relation with all countries. Therefore India will never join any alliance , nor in present , nor in future. A little security pact should not be concern for any country.

Last edited:
@Joe Shearer
Sir, in contemporary time, this is closest India has ever been to US. I don't want to speculate whether this is good or bad, but is Non Aligned Movement Dead as far as India is concerned?

That is one reason why I feel very gloomy about this.

We got nothing and gave away everything.

Now Modi has the Sankranti syndrome.

If kicked sufficiently hard by someone whom you secretly admire and aspire to be acknowledged by, you keep coming back after each kick, and trying to worm your way into the good books of that entity. If he had not been denied a visa, if he had not been kept out meticulously before he came to power, would we have seen this complete abandonment to the beloved?

How do you asses we go nothing
Logistics support is very good agreement

Prefect statergic move in right time

If you want to be global player you have to make sacrifices

There is feel in Indian statergic thinking that Russians are dubious and neutral in matters of Chinese

All they want is now Indian money for their failing economy its putin Russia no USSR sir

After NSG its clear that Chinese are ready to mend into our interests if they have authority to do so
Russians shown to be like mum in this matters
On the contrary US got us both the wavier and MTCR membership maybe they have long interest in it but Iam talking what India got

Which enough to change its image in minds of Indian establishment of Cold war

BRICS is failed phenomenon countries which part of it opposed are nomination in NSG directly

Brazil and China.

Thinking India will not get something from it is like thinking are armed forces are not capable enough

There is nothing worse than being an ally of United states of Uncle Sams so i say let them be their ally as they will get a taste of it very soon. Turkey is a recent example of how US treats its closest allies.

How do you asses we go nothing
Logistics support is very good agreement

Prefect statergic move in right time

If you want to be global player you have to make sacrifices

There is feel in Indian statergic thinking that Russians are dubious and neutral in matters of
Chinese

All they want is now Indian money for their failing economy its not putin Russia no USSR sir

After NSG its clear that Chinese are ready to mend into our interests if they have authority to do so
Russians shown to be like mum in this matters
On the contrary US got us both the wavier and MTCR membership maybe they have long interest in it but Iam talking what India got

Which enough to change its image in minds of Indian establishment of Cold war

BRICS is failed phenomenon countries which part of it opposed are nomination in NSG directly

Brazil and China.

Thinking India will not get something from it is like thinking are armed forces are no capable enough

It has in fact nothing to do with the capability of our armed forces. It has to do with the infrastructure that we have built up with little or no assistance from anybody else. It is this that is being given without any reciprocal advantage.

What the rest of this note means is not at all clear to me.

What has india got in return? Is the biggest question.
Imo agreement is for safe gaurding india against the agressive and reckless chinise military mindset.
Immediate benefits are less visible but long time benefits are more. Question araises y v are making enemies out of chinise..ans is we were never friend either.seeing chinise movement in scs do v still have to believe that they will not keep an eye on arunachal pradesh n sikkim.
If india n us come close v get added benefit in afganistan...which increases our strategic front vis a vis pakistan.
Apart from all this the agrement clearly states that if india wants they can deny using of their ports.
In other words this will keep status quo.
If china tries too much on scs japan australia viet and usa are there.if it tries too much in indian ocean then us n india are there.
Same way if india tries to be too agressive in indian ocean china n pakistan take care of that.
@Joe Shearer @hellfire @PARIKRAMA @anant_s @Abingdonboy ur opinions please

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom