What's new

Indians with help of BSF loot paddy harvest from inside Bangladesh

And now you are taking sides of/with the people who tied your hands at the back and pushed you into rivers and raped your women. All this to avenge the SO-CALLED looting?!!:undecided::disagree:

I am not taking any side more clearly pakistani side. I am just telling the real history. Pakistani soldier started killing us so we started the Liberation War and you helped us, we all admit this. But why you looted our country before leaving....? This looting made you no better than the Pakistanis but the same.....

This is the truth though its bitter.....to admit...

Do neighbours always have problems?????? this will clear something.

Why are some Bangladeshis anti-Indian?
Nationalism and anti-Indianism often go hand in hand.Photo: AFPHabibul Haque Khondker

Even if one likes the Indian cricket team, he or she would be afraid to express that aloud in the presence of a room full of Bangladeshis because there will be several for whom it would be too much to take. However admiring individual Indians like Vidya Balan or A.R. Rahman is okay. But collectively anything Indian is bad in the opinion of a considerable section of Bangladeshis. My recollections are drawn from the days long before the Tipaimuk controversy. How can we account for the widespread anti-Indian sentiment in Bangladesh?

Are neighbouring countries always suspicious of one another? As one wise man said: a solid fence is a precondition for friendly neighbours.

As a student in Canada long ago I noticed that Canadians were not very fond of their neighbour to the south. Some fellow students complained of their airwaves being dominated by the US media while others made fun of US ignorance of Canada. As I went to study in an American university later I was appalled to find out how little they knew about their northern neighbour. But never did I meet a Canadian who said that she or he is anti-American.

In Mexico, there is a saying: "God is so far and America so near." This is understandable because Mexico lost a good portion of her territory (California, Texas and parts of New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, etc) to its powerful neighbour.

Several years ago, while on a visit to New Zealand I had a friendly conversation with a gentleman serving juicy veal steak at a party at Massey University, Palmerston North. We discussed the quality of New Zealand veal and lamb and gradually moved to cricket. At some point, I dropped the question, if there is a cricket match between New Zealand and Australia which team would he support. His response was that it was a political question. He avoided an answer.

Once at the famed teachers' lounge of Dhaka University, I found only one colleague who like me was offended by the fact that everyone we knew supported the Pakistani cricket team. It took me quite some time to understand that supporting the Pakistan team is not the same as supporting the state of Pakistan.

Professor Amartya Sen admitted in one of his essays that he is a big fan of the Pakistani team and that does not make him anti-Indian. Professor Sen gave the example of his admiration of the Pakistan cricket team by way of criticising right-wing Hindu nationalists in India who often question the loyalty of the Indian Muslims for their alleged support for the Pakistani cricket team.

While in Singapore I noticed that many Singaporeans would go to Johor Bahru, across the border into Malaysia for seafood dinner, which was considerably cheaper with Ringgit values hovering at half of the Singapore dollar. The pragmatic Singaporean while filling their stomachs with delicacies would also fill their automobiles with cheaper gasoline in Malaysia.

At some point, however, the Singapore government imposed a new law to discourage this practice by making sure that the departing cars' gas tanks are at least half-filled. And yes, randomly, cars were checked at the border and violators were fined. Singapore and Malaysia had their share of disputed issues ranging from water sharing to a Malaysian railway station in Singapore to the ownership of some islands.

The leaders sat across the tables and talked it over in a bid to resolve these issues. Malaysia and Singapore even went to international arbitration over the claim of a disputed island but never did such frictions impact the cordiality of the citizens of these two countries.

Never had I met a Singaporean who called himself anti-Malaysian. I had Malaysian Chinese friends and students who having finished their studies in Singapore returned to Malaysia while others chose to stay on and took up Singapore's residency while keeping their Malaysian citizenship.

Social scientists from these two neighboring countries as well as from other Asean countries meet routinely in conferences and seminars. Sporting events and educational exchanges are common yet there is a sense that more can be done. Disagreements between governments do not translate into disagreements between people. It is the people to people relationship, the public diplomacy par excellence, that provide the basis for building sustainable good-neighbourly relationships.

Neighbouring countries are likely to have contentious issues but they need to be resolved not through megaphone diplomacy but by engaging in reasoned dialogue through quiet diplomacy. Anti-Indianism which has become the "first principle" -- almost a default position -- for many in Bangladesh stands in the way of trust-building between the two neighbours.

It is this sentiment that is both nurtured and exploited by self-seeking, opportunistic politicians to score points. Politics of hegemony, trade-imbalance, and other outstanding border issues play an important role in the prevailing skepticism about India in Bangladesh.

However, for many, anti-Indianness emanates from an attitude of bigotry, which is impervious to reason. Once I pressed a senior Bangladeshi professional in UAE to give me a reason for India's alleged role against the interests of Bangladesh (again before Tipaimukh), in a low voice he confided: "You can't trust the Hindus." The gentleman's honest answer was very revealing.

amigo said:
Once I pressed a senior Bangladeshi professional in UAE to give me a reason for India's alleged role against the interests of Bangladesh (again before Tipaimukh), in a low voice he confided: "You can't trust the Hindus." The gentleman's honest answer was very revealing.

There you go, you have your answer right there !

Even in India there were talks about lootings and appropriation of Bangladeshi properties and assets by the Indian forces and that the Indian government had also commissioned an investigation. There was wide perception that even General Aurora had received a lot from Bangladesh.

General Aurora might not have ordered his troops to go for high scale looting, and one may argue that this might have happened because of lack of discipline and supervision among individual members of Indian armed forces.

However, there is no evidence as to what the General did to stop his soldiers from looting. History will probably remember General Aurora as a failed commander who miserably failed to impose discipline and supervision in the conduct of his troops when they resorted to stealing the assets of the country they allegedly came to liberate. The failure to prevent this full scale looting actually planted the first seed of discontent in the hearts of the Bangladeshis."

what India did to the nascent Bangladesh immediately after December 16, 1971?

On the same evening 8:00 p.m. (16th Dec, Bangladesh time) Bengali news from Akash Bani Delhi read by Anil Chottopadhaya included a new information on the Bangladesh currency which was mentioned as Taka and will be the same as the Indian Rupee implying about Rs. 19/= per British sterling pound (£) whereas just moments earlier the same currency was Taka 11.43 (the then Pakistani Rupees 11.43) per £. This was continued news after the headline about the fall of Dhaka at the hands of the Indian Army. Thereafter followed with loots and stealing at gun points by the Indian army personnel in various parts of the country including Dhaka. They looked for ILISH (or HILSHA) fish in the bazaars of Rajshahi or Rangpur town for almost no price. Everyone in Bangladesh knows that ILISH is a rare commodity for the northern part of the country. The Indian Army personnel did not bother to know about the level of availability but argued to bring for them. These were anticipated by some Bengali speaking Indian saviors having arms on the shoulder. Indian army took advantage at the Aricha Ghat from the fruit sellers (particularly selling boroi or kool and narkeli-kool - golden-plum like taste having a single seed inside it) getting them at subsidized price via 58% inflated Indian Trimurti brand currencies. These looters looted Dhaka's New Market, Stadium Market, and Baitul Mukarram Market areas almost at gun point within a week or two having Chinese single/double barrel flasks, Canadian Winchester torches (flashlights), Chinese and European suitcases/brief-cases, Chinese nail cutters, Chinese and Korean ready-made clothes (shirts, pants, etc.), foreign leather belts, radios/transistors, regular torch or transistor batteries, and numerous consumable items. Television was not quite an attractive piece for these looters because they had hardly any TV station to watch or make programs. The Indian stupid looters were carrying them to their Atal Jeeps and Shaktiman Trucks.These vehicles carried armaments left by the Pakistani Army in various cantonments.

Khalida Zia is staunchly anti-Indian and Shiek Hasina is pro-Indian. That's the only reason why the Indians support her. BNP is pro Pakistan, minorities have lesser say during their tenure, and militant camps were training actively in BD during their power. AL destroyed all the camps and arrested some key militants. Who do you think the Indians will support?

On the surface she appears as anti India. But the trade deficits with India were built up during her last reign. She understands that the Indian boogyman card plays very well in Bangladeshi politics.

@ all ranting Bangali bandhus

There is a popular saying, "If you want to be recognised, be a LEADER or be WITH the LEADER".

The only way Bangladesh can improve its economy and political clout is by holding the little finger of India, else there's a standing example and a mirror on the other side which you can always look at.

It's all upto you guys, you can decide on piggy backing on a bull running economy or be crybabies n keep cribbing about 40 years old events.

From the bottom of my heart and on behalf of all Indians (if i can speak), we sincerely have a soft corner for you guys...only if you can capitalise on it.

@ all ranting Bangali bandhus

There is a popular saying, "If you want to be recognised, be a LEADER or be WITH the LEADER".

The only way Bangladesh can improve its economy and political clout is by holding the little finger of India, else there's a standing example and a mirror on the other side which you can always look at.

It's all upto you guys, you can decide on piggy backing on a bull running economy or be crybabies n keep cribbing about 40 years old events.

From the bottom of my heart and on behalf of all Indians (if i can speak), we sincerely have a soft corner for you guys...only if you can capitalise on it.

LOL. this cracked me up big time. All jokes aside, a country's development can not be externally driven if the internal parts are still in ruins. and my friend, there's an old saying "help yourself first". How can you help us when your poverty is more widespread in your country? India has more people living under poverty than bangladesh itself. Please stop acting like a first world country when your country's just as bankrupt.

LOL. this cracked me up big time. All jokes aside, a country's development can not be externally driven if the internal parts are still in ruins. and my friend, there's an old saying "help yourself first". How can you help us when your poverty is more widespread in your country? India has more people living under poverty than bangladesh itself. Please stop acting like a first world country when your country's just as bankrupt.

I was refering to the various loans/schemes/trade partnerships etc...:hitwall:

Regarding poverty in India...no denying that fact, and we are doing what needs to done. An action plan is being drawn.

The rest of your post, your views, your ideologies and your view of India....have a wonderful time in your wonderland/paradise. :) Do not wake up from your deep slumber to the harsh realities of the potential, the world sees in India:cool::smokin:

On the surface she appears as anti India. But the trade deficits with India were built up during her last reign. She understands that the Indian boogyman card plays very well in Bangladeshi politics.

Exactly.. India may not be your ideal neighbor but the amount of hate Bangladeshis have seem to be out of systematic propaganda for political gains.

what India did to the nascent Bangladesh immediately after December 16, 1971?

On the same evening 8:00 p.m. (16th Dec, Bangladesh time) Bengali news from Akash Bani Delhi read by Anil Chottopadhaya included a new information on the Bangladesh currency which was mentioned as Taka and will be the same as the Indian Rupee implying about Rs. 19/= per British sterling pound (£) whereas just moments earlier the same currency was Taka 11.43 (the then Pakistani Rupees 11.43) per £. This was continued news after the headline about the fall of Dhaka at the hands of the Indian Army. Thereafter followed with loots and stealing at gun points by the Indian army personnel in various parts of the country including Dhaka. They looked for ILISH (or HILSHA) fish in the bazaars of Rajshahi or Rangpur town for almost no price. Everyone in Bangladesh knows that ILISH is a rare commodity for the northern part of the country. The Indian Army personnel did not bother to know about the level of availability but argued to bring for them. These were anticipated by some Bengali speaking Indian saviors having arms on the shoulder. Indian army took advantage at the Aricha Ghat from the fruit sellers (particularly selling boroi or kool and narkeli-kool - golden-plum like taste having a single seed inside it) getting them at subsidized price via 58% inflated Indian Trimurti brand currencies. These looters looted Dhaka's New Market, Stadium Market, and Baitul Mukarram Market areas almost at gun point within a week or two having Chinese single/double barrel flasks, Canadian Winchester torches (flashlights), Chinese and European suitcases/brief-cases, Chinese nail cutters, Chinese and Korean ready-made clothes (shirts, pants, etc.), foreign leather belts, radios/transistors, regular torch or transistor batteries, and numerous consumable items. Television was not quite an attractive piece for these looters because they had hardly any TV station to watch or make programs. The Indian stupid looters were carrying them to their Atal Jeeps and Shaktiman Trucks.These vehicles carried armaments left by the Pakistani Army in various cantonments.

Are you serious? Don't you think those soldiers who came to fight for you needed some good treatment? You guys should have gifted without them asking. You should have fed them after the war they fought for you.
Shame on you guys complaining about the Indians taking away your Hilsa fish ,Chinese nail cutters and single seed plums? Unbelievably cheap. :hang2:

by Trampler

i agree with you sir.if Bangladesh does not come under India's umbrella some nations will use bd and will loot it.thats why bd govt keeps good relations with us.

Back
Top Bottom