What's new

Indians Want 1500 Anti-Material Rifles

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
south-african-ntw-20-anti-material-rifle-660x441.jpg

The Indian Army has released an RFI that is requesting interested companies to submit a proposal for 1500 Anti-Material Rifles (AMR as per Indian Army). The rifles must be in a 12.7mm caliber (x108mm or .50 BMG wasn’t specified) and must weigh lighter than the Army’s current Denel NTW-20 in 20mm/14.5mm. They must be capable of accurately engaging targets out to 1800 meters using “armour piercing incendiary, tracer rounds, sabot light armor penetrator, armor piercing explosive incendiary and high explosive armor piercing incendiary ammunition. In addition, the rifles cannot weigh more than 15 kilograms (33 lb) for a combined weight (we assume this is fully loaded).

The reasons for this new RFI are two-fold- Operational Requirements and legacy replacement. Unfortunately for the Indian Army, the currently fielded Denel NTW-20 number only around 400 out of the original 1000 that were intended for the Army. Due to severe corruption, the remaining 600 couldn’t enter the country and Denel was effectively banned from doing business in India. Thus, the Indian Army has been left without appropriate numbers of anti-material rifles for the previous decade. The Operational Requirement for this RFI is looking for a rifle capable of penetrating bunkers and armored vehicles at long distances. Mostly this OR has to do with the issues the Indian Army faces in Jammu and Kashmir with the insurgency taking a very active stance against the Army. Beyond the cities in the province, the terrain consists of open mountain valleys and forests. This would be ideal employment for a long-range anti-material rifle provided the shooters have proper training.

So far TFB has learned of at least one company that is working on a bid, so it is possible that there may be a number of others interested. One of the specific requirements for international companies that the Indian Army has set forth is that, “them to explain whether they will be ready to offer transfer of technology (ToT) to the Indian industry for licensed manufacturing of the weapons. They have also been asked to whether ToT will be offered for sub-systems”. Unfortunately, I believe this might drive potential international companies with successful anti-material rifles away because of the possibility of the designs being locally produced and used to undercut their own sales.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/04/27/indians-want-1500-anti-material-rifles/

I am wondering, In light of this development; Pakistan has inflicted damage through own anti-material rifles on LOC. and Indians have seen the damage they can cause. What can and/or is Pakistan doing to protect their own positions against indian anti-material fire. Obv strengthening own bunkers is one measure. but I'm sure theere has to be more technologically counter-measures we can take.

I am wondering, In light of this development; Pakistan has inflicted damage through own anti-material rifles on LOC. and Indians have seen the damage they can cause. What can and/or is Pakistan doing to protect their own positions against indian anti-material fire. Obv strengthening own bunkers is one measure. but I'm sure theere has to be more technologically counter-measures we can take.
BSF were using vidhwamsak antimaterial gun since long,and it's too effective also. But as we know IA kept non practical spec and ditch that wonderful gun.

BSF were using vidhwamsak antimaterial gun since long,and it's too effective also. But as we know IA kept non practical spec and ditch that wonderful gun.

Vidhwamsak is good, but too heavy that will affect the agility of the handler. That's the main reason for IA to dis-consider it. :)

No one uses them to target humans agreed upon through mutual understanding.

Vidhwamsak is good, but too heavy that will affect the agility of the handler. That's the main reason for IA to dis-consider it. :)
Since when agility is a criterion for marksmen enabled with antimaterial gun? They are not supposed to move along with commandos.

Since when agility is a criterion for marksmen enabled with antimaterial gun? They are not supposed to move along with commandos.
They do give cover to the party. Yes they have to move with the party just a little less frequently.

They do give cover to the party. Yes they have to move with the party just a little less frequently.
For that they are compromising on a very good desi equipment,I believe it's firepower is of no match,means we can target from distances.
AFAIK for covering commando for any other type of infantry,we need snipper rifles. But here they asked for anti material guns. It's primary duty is not to give cover.

India has way more existing stock of Anti Material rifles including draganov. Pakistan cannot match it one to one.

India is upgrading its defense forces hence the RFI. I would like to Barrett M99 with IA.

For that they are compromising on a very good desi equipment,I believe it's firepower is of no match,means we can target from distances.
AFAIK for covering commando for any other type of infantry,we need snipper rifles. But here they asked for anti material guns. It's primary duty is not to give cover.
Sniper rifle in the era is AMR. Just like sniper rifles, dragunov having a less caliber which are from the previous decade. In this post 2k era, the war on afghanistan and iraq have proved the value of AMR. they are used for clearing the city and any potential attacks on ground or air forces. They have become very powerful and have a clearing range of at least a mile, neutralizing, scouting and other activities.

Even during vietnam war, the advancing american forces had snipers helping them to clear the area ahead and advising them on threats ahead.

In LOC where continuous shelling is happening on both sides, agility does matter if one have to survive. And I don't know any other place where IA is using it extensively. :)

Would love to see the AI's AS 50 in our arsenal. It is more fun to shoot it.

Actually IA got half of what they required at that time delivered from South Africa (Denel); but when India put Denel on the blacklist (for corruption) and stopped supplies, OFB took up the production of the same using the ToT in place (and in fact slightly reduced weight), IA said NoThanks to OFB citing weight!! It's very funny the way IA works!!!

Actually IA got half of what they required at that time delivered from South Africa (Denel); but when India put Denel on the blacklist (for corruption) and stopped supplies, OFB took up the production of the same using the ToT in place (and in fact slightly reduced weight), IA said NoThanks to OFB citing weight!! It's very funny the way IA works!!!
Honestly I would like to see the actual tender Docs from the IA as this blog source is Hindustan Times and we all know that these jokers Don't Interpret the requirements very well and have given bogus reasoning and conclusions

Honestly I would like to see the actual tender Docs from the IA as this blog source is Hindustan Times and we all know that these jokers Don't Interpret the requirements very well and have given bogus reasoning and conclusions
IA does badly need sniper rifles and anti-material rifles!! All they currently have are DMRs. Pakistan has much longer range sniper rifles and routinely takes out IA soldiers on LOC; and IA can barely retaliate at those long ranges!! It's a pity that IA has sat on such operational deficiencies for such a long time!!!

Back
Top Bottom