What's new

Indians and Democracy/Secularism - can someone explain something to me?

you see, this just goes to clearly illustrate my contention, you just dont understand what you preach, you dont get it.

why can an individual pakistani not have a view on something in india (that is to say their universal right according to your own beliefs) just because some indians have some type of racial/religious steroetypes on that individual which according to them excludes them from universalist principles, it (you and others) make no sense at all, you contradict yourself and hold contrarian views in the same breath.

you seriously seem to believe that every pakistani is an air tight container of your (indian) perceptions/stereotypes therefore he/she is excluded from voicing an opinion/fact -because thats the perception you have of pakistani's - then in the next sentence you will talk about universal principles.

so then, what do you make of american criticisms towards india then?

i dont hear anyone here approving them as valid.

what you just said completely validates my contention.

on the one hand you talk about india being democratic (and how pakistan or pakistani's are not), on the other hand you think certain people do not have democratic rights, proof by contradiction. QED.

Democracy is all about plurality of thoughts, which necessitates freedom of expression. Freedom of expression means that, just as one is free to air his thoughts in the public domain, one, in doing so, also subjects his thoughts to intense scrutiny.All this happens within the individuals of a given society only.Indians have a democratic temperament when it comes to their fellow Indians

why can an individual pakistani not have a view on something in india (that is to say their universal right according to your own beliefs) just because some indians have some type of racial/religious steroetypes on that individual which according to them excludes them from universalist principles, it (you and others) make no sense at all, you contradict yourself and hold contrarian views in the same breath.

Individuals collectively form societies when an individual of one
society questions the credentials of a another society one has to take into consideration

1)The nature of the society to which the Individual belongs
2)The actions the particular society did to the indian society.Whether it had a positive or negative impact on us

When doing the above thing generalizations and stereotypes are evolved.

How are they evolved?

Stereotypes/Generalisations are derived by situations .Which need to be explained and explanations draw on analyses of the evidence, providing generalizations that derive from the logic of the argument. With new evidence or fresh interpretations of existing evidence, a new understanding of the past can be achieved. But interpretations have to conform to the basic requirements of using reliable evidence, analytical methods and arguments drawing on logic.

these are the words of Romila Thapar

you seriously seem to believe that every pakistani is an air tight container of your (indian) perceptions/stereotypes therefore he/she is excluded from voicing an opinion/fact -because thats the perception you have of pakistani's - then in the next sentence you will talk about universal principles.
Have to .How do we know each Pakistani is an exception to the rule.We only consider the intent of the majority individuals into consideration

I've been saying this for quiet sometime that people need to stay on topic and discuss the issues relevent to that topic rather than justifying your answers by merely comparing your country with another country.

you totally missed the point, read the first post again, carefully, word for word, i made a point for it not to become this, in fact you are feeding into it.

and i did not say it was explicitly a racially offensive remark, read back one again, some attention to detail would be nice, it saves time, thanks.

Democracy is all about plurality of thoughts, which necessitates freedom of expression. Freedom of expression means that, just as one is free to air his thoughts in the public domain, one, in doing so, also subjects his thoughts to intense scrutiny.All this happens within the individuals of a given society only.Indians have a democratic temperament when it comes to their fellow Indians

you started of well however the bit in bold is wrong by definition, you cannot restrict univeralist principles, otherwise it become somethingelse, it becomes a function or creation of that society and not an egalitarian notion, which is what i presume what you want it to be.

1)The nature of the society to which the Individual belongs
2)The actions the particular society did to the indian society.Whether it had a positive or negative impact on us

this is i take it your own criteria?

Have to .How do we know each Pakistani is an exception to the rule

so essentially you are changing the democratic/secularist goal posts and making a special case for pakistani's - all of them.

then can i ask what about an arab saying the same thing?
or a turk?
or an american?

you have set criteria for them aswell?

you totally missed the point, read the first post again, carefully, word for word, i made a point for it not to become this, in fact you are feeding into it.

Yes i understood that, i was actually agreeing with you there

how on earth can one person so effusively gush about
being wonderfully democratic/secular and then in the very next moment produce a racial/religious stereotype that is so very antithetical to what he preaches?

you talk about how secular and democratic you are only to come out with a racial/religious stereotype the next sentence.

There was nothing in Vsdoc's post that was related to racial or religous stereotype. I think i am reading some of these quotes from you quiet clearly. I do understand what your trying to say, i just think you probably used wrong words to describe them. Your assuming he is stereotyping that all Pakistani's are brought up to hate india, nontheless that has nothing to do with Race nor Religion.

Last edited:
As a Pakistani, you grew up taught to hate us and all that we stand for

The same way you guys can gush on and on about Islamic tolerance while systematically ensuring your country "cleanses" itself over the past 6 decades of all non-Islamic "kafirs" (or nearly all ..... no one's perfect ).

And of course, the sheer irony of a Pakistani wanting to "discuss" "genuinely" Democracy and Secularism with an Indian would not be lost on you too I am sure! LOL
are you telling me there is no racially/religious based stereotype in these remarks?

i say either or since i cannot determine which one it is for certain, it could be steeped in race or religion.

are you telling me there is no racially/religious based stereotype in these remarks?

i say either or since i cannot determine which one it is for certain, it could be steeped in race or religion.

The word racism has become a norm in our society and i quiet saddening to see it used for things like religion. I see it as a slap in the face for people who have actually been affected by genuine racism. People who have been oppressed, harrassed and humiliated because of the color of their skin via direct or indirect discrimination. I fail to see your logic of associating his claims with 'genuine' racism.

If a Brit says something silly and stereotypes about an Irish is that racism? No.. please try to see the difference between what is genuine racism and what is general stereotype.

you started of well however the bit in bold is wrong by definition,

With the evolution of the nation state. Democracy is all about supreme national selfishness.It all boils down to whether our people are happy are not.Bit wrong by the idealistic definition but very much near to the ground reality

you cannot restrict univeralist principles, otherwise it become somethingelse, it becomes a function or creation of that society and not an egalitarian notion, which is what i presume what you want it to be.

Yes,you cannot restrict univeralist principles theoritically,but are all societies promoting the univeralist principles necessarily?No.

Hence it becomes

it becomes a function or creation of that society and not an egalitarian notion, which is what i presume what you want it to be.
Even If I do not want it to be ,it is sadly true

this is i take it your own criteria?
I showed you the criteria are derived through generalisations like this

Stereotypes/Generalisations are derived by situations .Which need to be explained and explanations draw on analyses of the evidence, providing generalizations that derive from the logic of the argument. With new evidence or fresh interpretations of existing evidence, a new understanding of the past can be achieved. But interpretations have to conform to the basic requirements of using reliable evidence, analytical methods and arguments drawing on logic

so essentially you are changing the democratic/secularist goal posts and making a special case for pakistani's - all of them.

then can i ask what about an arab saying the same thing?
or a turk?
or an american?

you have set criteria for them aswell?

Yes I set for every individual and what I said is universally applicable to anyone

The word racism has become a norm in our society and i quiet saddening to see it used for things like religion. I see it as a slap in the face for people who have actually been affected by genuine racism. People who have been oppressed, harrassed and humiliated because of the color of their skin via direct or indirect discrimination. I fail to see your logic of associating his claims with 'genuine' racism.

If a Brit says something silly and stereotypes about an Irish is that racism? No.. please try to see the difference between what is genuine racism and what is general stereotype.

i never said he was racist, i said he used a racially/religiously motivated stereotype, please note the difference.

With the evolution of the nation state. Democracy is all about supreme national selfishness.It all boils down to whether our people are happy are not.Bit wrong by the idealistic definition but very much near to the ground reality

ok, fair point, i tend to agree.

on the same token, democracy can therefore be used as a moral weapon if it is according to you about self interest, that is primarily on the ground reality as described by my initial post, to some degree atleast.

Yes,you cannot restrict univeralist principles theoritically,but are all societies promoting the univeralist principles necessarily?No.

the point is not that they promote them, but that they do not restrict them, esp. in europe - and to put this point in the context of the thread most people will not say to an african that he has no right to say anything about the british just because he happens to have a passport that identifies him as being a citizen of "some tinpot african dictatorship", they may disagree strongly, but they will not exclude him since its a universal right - but then again, europeans understand what they preach.

what many indians on this thread have been saying is the exact opposite, hence my initial post.

Yes I set for every individual and what I said is universally applicable to anyone

i do not understand this, maybe you can clarify, the bits in bold seem to contradict

if thats the case then that is to india's credit, i have to say that i have not seen it myself, especially amongst the average joe in india or in this forum, who is likely to react in a way similar to that of what i described in my first post.

certain media institutions in india are i am sure largely democratic, however it does not follow that this is the discourse occuring on the street level, i can say this for pakistan aswell.
Two things. First, you are basing your arguments, on the lack of your own personal experience. Its very much like arguing that neutrons within atoms don’t exist because I have not seen those for myself. In debating circle, it will be classified as ‘argument from ignorance’ and be rejected as logical fallacy. Anyway, it is almost impossible for a person to get a first hand understanding of the pulse of the majority of constituents of a nation, while looking at it from without. The closest one can get is perhaps a generic idea. However, to accuse a nation of a billion plus people on the basis of such generic idea, shaped by limited experience – I must add, exceptionally limited – is intellectual dishonesty. In this regard, many of my fellow countrymen stand accused as well. It is unfortunate that you haven’t come across any such intellectual discourse within Indian media, in spite of a plethora of material being available, even on the net. However your lack of experience can hardly be a basis for allegation, and neither should it be our concern or responsibility to shoulder your allegations. It is, however, not too much to expect, that when one raises a pointing finger, one has done his homework. Apparently not.

Second, you have now redefined the whole, ‘which’ Indians don’t understand democracy/secularism. In your first post, you claimed that ‘they (the Indians) dont seem to understand or grasp the notion themselves’. In response to my post, you had retorted as noticing ‘big discrepancy between what some indians loudly and often preach and then what they say in regards to other issues’. When shown, that Indians, at least a segment, do understand, as well as practice what they preach about, democracy and secularism, you have fallen back on the man-in-street, ‘average joe in India’. From ‘they’ as in whole of India, to ‘some’, ostensibly referring to the intelligentsia, to finally the ‘average joe’ – you have constantly shifted your goal post. It appears, you are yourself not too sure of who to accuse of not understanding democracy/secularism. This itself puts a question mark on your honesty. How many average joe or man-in-street in India, have you actually met or had conversation with. My guess would be none. You are simply taking some of the posts made by some of the Indians on this or other forums, to be representative of whole of India.

One noticeable progress, though, is that, now you agree that ‘certain media institutions in india’ are ‘largely democratic’.

As with this question of ‘average joe’ participating in intellectual discourse on a level that you are suggesting, it is a more generic query regarding democracy, than being specific to India. You are in fact accusing India for the fallacies of democracy, which have in varying degrees, plagued all the democratic societies, even the European ones. ‘Average joe’s’ involvement in the democratic discourse of the European nations, on an intellectual level, is more than that in India, probably because they had the brush with democracy, much earlier than his counterpart in India.

europe has a very distinct history with democracy and the struggle to democracy. this is why it "works".
I do not understand what a democracy looks like when it doesn’t ‘work’ (like India?), but leaving that aside, I may remind you, that before European democracy began to ‘work’ (whatever that may mean) they too had to go through the process of infancy, like India is doing now. India could afford the ‘luxury’ of avoiding the ‘struggle to democracy’, because she had a more important struggle to endure – one of independence. But struggle with democracy is a grind that no society, that practices democracy, can avoid. After all, democracy is a constant process.

and then ofcourse EVERYONE knows to hate the nazi's and hitler, therefore on a basic level thats very powerful since it is rooted deeply that what they are in large part can be defined as what they are not, and what they are not and never wish to be regarded as is nazi's - just this simple but powerful notion can instill democratic values and easily help everyone understand the so called basis of their nation - its why in the uk there are common references about what "our grandfathers fought for" etc etc

india basically instantaneously became a democracy, theres no so called deep historical basis pertaining to democracy that truly resonates with every indian, they all have their own biases/perspectives/views - its the same with pakistan, the vast majority have no connection with democracy and are torn between an islamic or western democratic identity - and its because of this division that neither has truly worked and why there is periodic chaos, but i suppose this is a seperate topic.
What you are saying is that a sense of common identity and aspiration holds the democratic societies of Europe as a strong cohesive group. Thats fine and dandy. But then you seem to be suggesting that since Indian democracy came into being on a certain day and time, and hasn’t been conceived through a process, like the European ‘struggle to democracy’, Indians don’t share such common identity and aspiration. This is patently false.

There is no evidence in history that a democracy ‘works’ only when it has a long gestation period as opposed to being ‘instantaneous’. US became a democracy, ‘instantaneously’ on signing of declaration of independence. Before that it was a colony of the British and had to struggle for independence much like India. Since then, US had to go through her own struggle to establish the tenets of democracy and she is what she is now as a direct result of that struggle. Frankly speaking, this is for the first time I have heard that success of democracy depends on how it is conceived.

When India became independent and started her experiments with democracy, the broader concept of democracy had already become much more concrete than, say, of the time when US had started her journey along the same lines. Expecting India to go through the entire process of emancipation that Europe had gone through during 18th century till early 19th century, is like expecting India to reinvent the wheel.

The problem with your understanding of Indian democracy, is that you are looking at it through the prism of Pakistan’s experience with democracy and it is clear from your attempt to equate the two democracies. Though both got independence at the same time and both professed to walk the road of democracy, India is many order of magnitude ahead of Pakistan in establishing the tenets of democracy, although nowhere close to being a perfect one. Pakistan on the other hand is still struggling with democracy.

Also, you have assumed that ‘own biases/perspectives/views ’ of the constituents of a nation is anathema to democracy. In reality, it is the basis of plurality, and hence of democracy.

Anyway, this sentiment that is represented through ‘our grandfathers fought for’ is something that you will find in Indians as well, with respect to India’s freedom struggle . Hopefully you are not suggesting that the Pakistanis don’t reflect this sentiment.

Secularism allowed the Indians of such diverse differences to live with each other. One just has to go into the history of philosophys and religions in India to understand this. And the structure of society is so malleable and dynamic that whole populations move from Pre-Vedic Hinduism to Vedic Hinduism to Budhism and Jainism to Vedantic Shanmat Hinduism. What to add for Sikhism and even Islam. This ability to adapt fast and smooth is due mainly to our pagan culture.
Were not the ancestors of all muslims (excepting a handful) in the subcontinent Hindus. The conversions could only have been due to LOVE for Islam or FEAR from Islam (take your pick).
The democracy part, where everyone is just as equal, is the essence of the practice of secularism as it is practiced in India (SARVA DHARM SAM BHAV literally meaning All religions equal respect), quite unlike the practice of secularism in other parts of the world where either "All Religions are Equal Suspects" or "Other Religions are Equal Suspects".

Though it is true that there are challenges to Secularism in India, but then when was it that there were'nt and when was it that we lost against these challenges.
Challengers will come and challengers will go for the simple reason that the Prevailing wisdom has run so well.

As opposed to some people who lost the plot a good 60-70 years back and still persist in dreams of invented idealism of bygone eras.

i disagree.

europe has a very distinct history with democracy and the struggle to democracy. this is why it "works".

And yet a modern Europe, that was born out of the renaissance, directly contributed to some of the greatest slaughters in human history; culminating in world wars one and two.

You are just proving my point by the European example; that "no country in the world truly understands the basis on which it was formed".

In 1517 Martin Luther wrote his 95 theses as the basis of Protestant reform against Catholicism. In large part the rebellion - based on a more practical, logical humanitarian version of Christianity, helped to form modern Germany. Yet, by the 1920s there was active support for Nazi Germany.

France is the cradle of modern enlightenment; yet their track record in third world countries is among the worst.

most reasonably educated europeans understand important european experiences such as the role of religion in europe and the renaissance.

I could day that most 'reasonably educated' Indians also understand the role of religion in India. These are just general statements.

and then ofcourse EVERYONE knows to hate the nazi's and hitler, therefore on a basic level thats very powerful since it is rooted deeply that what they are in large part can be defined as what they are not, and what they are not and never wish to be regarded as is nazi's - just this simple but powerful notion can instill democratic values and easily help everyone understand the so called basis of their nation - its why in the uk there are common references about what "our grandfathers fought for" etc etc

I disagree with your use of the word EVERYONE, but let that be.

Your example of Nazism ignores a more in depth study of history.

That it was a European country that developed, nurtured and supported Nazism.

That most European countries wanted to bargain with the Nazis before they fought them.

That the full impact and meaning of Nazism never became known to the world until the end of the second world war.

The war that Britain and the allies fought had more to do with territorial and political disagreements than any moralistic defence of humanity.

Don't get me wrong; Nazism was a curse and an evil we are well rid off. But 'the atrocities of the Nazis' is a post facto justification for WWII.

So, the grandfathers of present day Europeans quite rally did not fight to rid the world of Nazism; they fought to defend their countries.

On a more general basis, it was Great Britain, that bastion of humanity, that was responsible for large scale famines and millions of deaths round the world. That fire bombed Dresden for no ostensible strategic gain.

It was Belgium that surpassed all inhumanity through its policies in 19th century Congo.

It was Spain that brought to the modern world the dubious pleasures of the inquisition and Torquemada.

So yes, the humanist origin of countries is often lost in most countries at key points in their histories.

india basically instantaneously became a democracy, theres no so called deep historical basis pertaining to democracy that truly resonates with every indian, they all have their own biases/perspectives/views -

That India 'basically instantaneously became a democracy' is, IMO, facile analysis, short of simple propaganda.

It ignores the decades of a freedom struggle conducted largely in a democratic way by Indian parties.

It neglects the democratic basis of associations by Indians. It ignores the democratic leaders, the elections.

It ignores the broadly stated goals of the majority of Indian leaders - self rule in a democratic system.

That India 'instantaneously' became a democracy is a canard; it ignores what happened on the ground, what the struggle was all about. It ignores modern history.

I am not comparing India's democratic evolution to Europe's; obviously Europe is more developed. Of course our democratic history is nowhere as old as Europe's; but in intensity and desire for change it is, IMO, equivalent.

its the same with pakistan, the vast majority have no connection with democracy and are torn between an islamic or western democratic identity - and its because of this division that neither has truly worked and why there is periodic chaos, but i suppose this is a seperate topic.

I disagree. It is not the same with Pakistan. Not at all. These are basic facts - since independence Pakistan has had more army rule than democratically elected governments. India has not had a single period of army rule.

We had an Emergency once; and Indira Gandhi quickly came to understand what Indians thought of it. Through an election.

i am no authority on the media in india, however those events could hardly be glossed over could they?

so its perhaps misleading to portray them as revelations.

No, absolutely not. Yes, the riots in Gujarat by themselves would not have been glossed over. But the scale and the participation of local authorities would absolutely have been hidden were it not for the Indian media.

I can substantiate this in a separate post if you want. Just google 'hidden camera revelations Gujarat massacre'; look at the sources.

i dispute this for sure.

That the majority of human rights violations in Kashmir are not taken from Indian sources?

We can discuss this. I know for a fact that the bulk of the reports that Amnesty and HRW publish on Kashmir are significantly based on Indian newspaper reports.

I know this because I know people who work there. But obviously this is not authoritative info, so will try and look for links.

but from my initial post i was referring to the people who tend to use democracy as an epither to leverage moral superiority - and i contest that these people are a significant amount (that or they are the loudest) who do not understand what they preach, or do not wish to adopt what they preach.

I'll only focus on one argument; whether these people are in the majority. I don't think so. But it's a matter of opinion, yours or mine.

My friend he gave extraordinary powers to the Election Comission.The Election Comission is in the present manner due to the reforms he initiated.

Positive discrimination is necessasary my friend.Look at the south Andhra and Tamil nadu had reservation from the 80's itself just look at the development among the BC's in these two states and compare
it to rest of India you will know what I mean.I even suggest Intra reservation among the BC's based on economic,social and regional factors .Intra competition among the BC's will itself ensure that the best come out themselves.

Besides I am an OC and I hail from Andhra

Extra-ordinary power to EC?? You mean the same EC which cannot even bar a hate propagandist like Varun #@$% Gandhi from fighting an election even after having concrete proof of flaunting EC guidelines. Gimme a break.

I am not talking about Andhra or Tamilnadu. I am talking about India.

My two cents on reservation:

- We have seen enough of reservations, subsidy, Rs. 2 rice and what not in the last 60 years. I say we stop it all once for all!!

- There should be only one reservation in India; for people living below poverty line and that's all about it. No more SC/ST/ OBC and minority crap. This age-old caste, creed system is the only blot, which had been pulling us downward and also tarnishing India's image globally. And instead of abolishing it, especially now that the so-called upper caste people do not have any superiority, we are trying to further promote social segregation by continuing to recognize some part of society as backward classes. We have to put an end to this dalit, harijan, minorities business, once and for all. We have to realize ourselves as one caste: Indian.

- If, at all we have to divide our society, then divide it on economic grounds into two classes and two classes only. Like I said before, people under the poverty line and the ones who are well off, so to say. Give all these reservation, subsidy, free healthcare etc to the poor ones and make special schemes to bring them up in economic ladder. Simply put, that should do the trick.

Last edited:
Extra-ordinary power to EC?? You mean the same EC which cannot even bar a hate propagandist like Varun #@$% Gandhi from fighting an election even after having concrete proof of flaunting EC guidelines. Gimme a break.

It was that very EC which prevented Laloo from coming to power in Bihar.The very EC which is conducting elections even in the most insurgency prone areas.Consider their achievements also friend.We have to be proud of the ECE it is one of the finest gov Institutions

I am not talking about Andhra or Tamilnadu. I am talking about India.

But they are a part of India and If they have done something which worked for them it will also work for the whole India.

My two cents on reservation:

- We have seen enough of reservations, subsidy, Rs. 2 rice and what not in the last 60 years. I say we stop it all once for all!!

- There should be only one reservation in India; for people living below poverty line and that's all about it. No more SC/ST/ OBC and minority crap. This age-old caste, creed system is the only blot, which had been pulling us downward and also tarnishing India's image globally. And instead of abolishing it, especially now that the so-called upper caste people do not have any superiority, we are trying to further promote social segregation by continuing to recognize some part of society as backward classes. We have to put an end to this dalit, harijan, minorities business, once and for all. We have to realize ourselves as one caste: Indian.

- If, at all we have to divide our society, then divide it on economic grounds into two classes and two classes only. Like I said before, people under the poverty line and the ones who are well off, so to say. Give all these reservation, subsidy, free healthcare etc to the poor ones and make special schemes to bring them up in economic ladder. Simply put, that should do the trick.

The problem is the economic problem gets converted into a social problem because most of the poor people hail from the lower castes.
What you said is correct but Iam saying it must be applied within caste reservations itself.So that the creamy layer is not benefitted repeatedly

Back
Top Bottom