What's new

Indian Upgraded Mirage 2000v5 Mk 2 jets Soon

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Indian Upgraded Mirage 2000v5 Mk 2 jets Soon

Word is that the upgrade will bring India’s Mirages to the Mirage 2000v5 Mk 2 standard, including a new RDY-3 radar with greater air-air and air-ground capability, a new all-digital cockpit, and improved electronic warfare systems.

These will be tied into a joint tactical information data link system (JTIDS, usually Link 16 compatible but not always), plus helmet-mounted sights for wide-angle heat-seeking missiles. As part of the upgrade, the aircraft will also be equipped with MBDA’s Mica family of medium range missiles.

MBDA was probably unamused by India Defence’s December 2006 description of its wares as “an advanced medium-range missile that is the French counterpart to the more capable American AMRAAM missile”.

While the MICA’s radar-guided version does have mediocre range, it also has a heat-seeking IR version that offers a potent medium range ‘no warning’ targeting option. In either version, it’s an improvement. MICA would replace both India’s existing radar-guided Super 350 MRAAM and Magic-II short-range infrared missiles, offering better performance and range.

Work on the upgrades would be performed by a French-Indian consortium including Dassault (aircraft manufacturer), Thales (weapons systems integrator), MBDA (missiles) and India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.

India’s Fighter Upgrades: Mirage 2000s Finally Get a Deal?

Mirage 2000-5 Mk2

The Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 incorporates new technologies and features often derived from experience gained during development of the Rafale.

The Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 is an ideal aircraft for the missions of interception and air superiority.

The Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 is perfect for interception operations at high altitudes and at supersonic speeds (Mach 2.2 to 50.000 ft), thanks to its aircraft and its engine that allow it to oppose the hostile more efficient.

With its new configuration of external loads, with air-air missiles attached to the fuselage side points, the new aircraft offers a significantly increased firepower.

The new features also allow the Mirage 2000-5 Mk2 multirole capabilities provide exceptional place among the best aircraft in its class, which was demonstrated by its various export success.

Mirage 2000-5 Mk2

That means Mirage-2009I (India). It may get many Indian systems onboard. MICA is a good missile. Apart from RDY-3, digital cockpit and EW it wll get complete engine and airframe upgrades.

Hope they do it soon.

how is it compared to f 16 bl 52 ?

I would take the Mirage 2000-5 Mk II over the F-16.
The radar is better (scaled down version of Rafale), the MICA is a very good missile, and it has great A2G capabilities.

The Greek, have evaluated both the aircraft, and chose Mirages over the F-16s.

:agree::agree:

There were some rumors that upgraded Mirage will actually become
Mirage-N.

:agree::agree:

There were some rumors that upgraded Mirage will actually become
Mirage-N.

I wanna tell you something here. The Indian upgrade program is not exactly the 2000-5 Mk II standard. It is a customized version of MkII. It has quite a lot of systems from Rafale, and would be a little better than the Mirage 2000-5 Mk II.

I wanna tell you something here. The Indian upgrade program is not exactly the 2000-5 Mk II standard. It is a customized version of MkII. It has quite a lot of systems from Rafale, and would be a little better than the Mirage 2000-5 Mk II.

Yes..Infact the upgraded Mirage will be 2000-N standard..(thats what i have heard )..

the F-16 can be upgraded to 4.5+ gen levels like Raytheon AESA Radar.. Mirage can't hope to compete with an AESA equipped Fighter..:

Sure it can be upgraded, but the costs of upgrading are very high. And we know PAF ain't upgrading their F16s anymore. The only F-16s more capable than Mirage 2000-5 Mk II are block 60, and only one country has those.

So its fine for us.

I would take the Mirage 2000-5 Mk II over the F-16.
The radar is better (scaled down version of Rafale), the MICA is a very good missile, and it has great A2G capabilities.

The Greek, have evaluated both the aircraft, and chose Mirages over the F-16s.

I dont know where you got this information from but the Greeks have inducted 157 F16's and 45 Mirage 2000's :pop:, actions speak louder than words.

Total number of Mirage 2000's built: 601
Total number of F16's built: around 4500.

Goes to show you which Aircraft has been more successful in the international market. I would argue an F16 armed with an AMRAAM/AIM9X cued up with JHMCS can out best Mirage 2000 any day in Air to Air Fight, i am not even going to bother going into details about F16's capabilities for A2G because the record for that speaks for itself. PAF evaluated both Mirage 2000 and F16, the verdict was F16 is simply a better machine.

No doubt F/16 is better than mirage m2k but you forgot about variants here like F/16block60 way better than miragem2k-9 but F/16 block 40-42 is inferior to m2k-5 but F/16 block 50/52 comparable to m2k-9 in everyother sense ,here am not talking about Amraam or mica but plane vanila aircrafts only so plz remember that.

Last edited:
Its nothing to do with who sold how many units of aircraft !! Hope you read the wikileaks and american clout over defence deals .. Its working even today except in india who's more tilted to russia.

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom