What's new

Indian Special Forces

which Indian UNIT is that?? according to MoD's press release, only navy was send to participate..
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=142606

View attachment 308585
maxresdefault.jpg

^^ marcos conducting VBSS operation in ADMM Plus Exercise.

marcos participating in ADMM Plus Exercise(from 0:35)
According to Indian media, a Naval Ship (Eravat) and an Army Contingent took part in the ex.

I am not sure about the Unit.

I have no doubt about their training or abilities, Indian SF are easily some of the most experienced and able on the planet BUT they are desperatly lagging behind not just the West but even some developing in terms of equipment. Indian SFs deserve to be as well equipped as any Western Unit considering their deployment patterns but sadly that is not the case. What is really needed is for the SOCOM to be raised with SFs getting their own dedicated budget, the opporutinity to grow organically their capabilities seperate from the "big"/conventional military. As it stands they remain a niche and constrained by military leaders who do not understand them, their needs or their capabilities but the MoD is STILL sat on the proposal to raise the tri-service SOCOM :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

I have no doubt about their training or abilities, Indian SF are easily some of the most experienced and able on the planet BUT they are desperatly lagging behind not just the West but even some developing in terms of equipment. Indian SFs deserve to be as well equipped as any Western Unit considering their deployment patterns but sadly that is not the case. What is really needed is for the SOCOM to be raised with SFs getting their own dedicated budget, the opporutinity to grow organically their capabilities seperate from the "big"/conventional military. As it stands they remain a niche and constrained by military leaders who do not understand them, their needs or their capabilities but the MoD is STILL sat on the proposal to raise the tri-service SOCOM :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:
Valid points. But you also need to keep in mind the sheer number of SF in IA alone apart from IN and IAF.

We can reasonably equip them with reducing their number if we can fulfill our defense requirements indigenously.

I guess they are preparing for limited war on LAC and these guys shall be the first to Paradrop behind enemy lines.

We already have the ability to Paradrop 16 Ton BMP 2 by indigenous Parachute.

Last edited:
Valid points. But you also need to keep in mind the sheer number of SF in IA alone apart from IN and IAF.
The numbers of SF are perfectly justified IMO, they don't need to be anymore though and this current figure should be frozen. With superior equipment and mobility the current numbers can cater to the growing needs of the nation easily.

Let the "big"/conventional military (primarily talking about the wasteful and bloated IA really) be cut to fund the upgrading of SFs.

What is needed above all else is a mindset change, the SFs deserve to have their own room to grow and to not be stiffled by conventional military leadership that has basically zero understanding of them. Think about it, the ACm is more often than not a former fighter pilot, the CNS is a seasoned sailor and the COAS is generally from the infantry or Mech corps. None of them will understand the SF culture or how valuble they are and thus will consistently fail to provide them with the space and assets they need to flourish. SOCOM is the need of the hour and should be the main focus, numbers are irrelevent really.

P.S - Airborne units (not SF) deployed at North East are now using AK 74M with folding stock.
The PARA (Airborne units) have similar weaponary to the SFs ie Tavors and M4s also. What I have heard is that the SFs prefer the lighter M4 with its collapsible stock to the Tavor when conducting airborne missions (jumping).

@Abingdonboy - this is a completely different topic but since we are on SF thread, I just wanted to ask you if the practice of the SAS, upon completion of their training, still have the final 'death leap' off a 30 foot cliff ? Back in the 80s, I clearly remember seeing a documentary on the SAS and the death leap was part of the final 'baptisation' into the SAS.

The SAS were taken to a high cliff in Scotland and asked to jump on to a rock base in the sea 30 feet down. It was gut-wrenching to see them take the plunge....

... and still stand up on their feet.

bro, i don't think a SOCOM will help in upgrading the weapons of our special forces. joint operations or may be cordination will be increased. but it have noting to do with upgradation. if our military generals want to upgrade our special forces gears, then they would have done it. remember, these generals are the one clame that para airborne and para SF have same mandates... and put both the unit in same regiment. weapon upgrade can only done when generals want them to do so.

BMP 2 attached with Airborne Brigade (not SF) capable of Paradropped with Troops from IL 76

Airborne BMP.jpg

Troops are mostly equipped with AKs, VZ 58 and limited AK 74M

p 50.jpg

p - 50.jpg

Para Recruits

Para 50.jpg

BMP 2 - Airdropped by Made in India Parachute.

HDS P-16.jpg

DRDO's older P 7 Heavy drop system has been exported to friendly countries.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Russian Airborne troops are equipped with BMD instead of BMP 2

images.jpg

Back
Top Bottom