What's new

Indian Rivers Inter-link

Water is very sensitive topic and extreme care should be taken while taking any plan to building dams let alone diverting a whole river. Even if you just ignore the affect it will have existing Eco-system, lower riparian states will be adversely affected from diverting water from upstream. I'm sure West Bengal will oppose any such plan of connecting Ganges to South India rivers.

Ganges is a perennial river, and it envisages sharing of water during floods. But some kinda populist policies should be ignored while implementing this.

Ganges is a perennial river, and it envisages sharing of water during floods. But some kinda populist policies should be ignored while implementing this.

Just because it is perennial river that doesn't mean we have infinite source of water. Water is scarce during summer as most of the amount is drawn from upper stream states like UP, Bihar and then we have to share with BD. I don't think during Mansoon South Indian river needs water from Ganges as they are already filled by rain water.

In fact the project is not feasible since the water has cross Bindha with an elevation of avarage 500m, it will take enormous amount of power to pump water from Ganges to South India and then you need build a huge water reserve on densely populated North India to store surplus water. You can get away by taking Tribal lands forcibly but it will be an impossible task in Hindi heartland of UP and Bihar. A mere Nandigram put an end to 3 decades rule of left parties in WB.

More feasible plan is to use South Indian rivers to their full capacity. But I'm sure no state will agree to share their river as proven by recent Tamil Nadu-Karnataka-Keral spats.

Last edited:
Just because it is perennial river that doesn't mean we have infinite source of water. Water is scarce during summer as most of the amount is drawn from upper stream states like UP, Bihar and then we have to share with BD. I don't think during Mansoon South Indian river needs water from Ganges as they are already filled by rain water.

In fact the project is not feasible since the water has cross Bindha with an elevation of avarage 500m, it will take enormous amount of power to pump water from Ganges to South India and then you need build a huge water reserve on densely populated North India to store surplus water. You can get away by taking Tribal lands forcibly but it will be an impossible task in Hindi heartland of UP and Bihar. A mere Nandigram put an end to 3 decades rule of left parties in WB.

More feasible plan is to use South Indian rivers to their full capacity. But I'm sure no state will agree to share their river as proven by recent Tamil Nadu-Karnataka-Keral spats.

Thats the problem. Monsoon in S. India is not always a over flowing one. The Last monsoon was not so successfull. Moreover I havent seen a drought in N.India in my life.

Yu have to use the spare dirty waters we give ;) :P

so indians r also doing this...we did that way back in 60s.
35264405.jpg

1559790_644957425569225_376224947_n.jpg

so you mean
Pakistan's 143 major/medium Dams are more than India's 3200 Dams ?? nice logic :hitwall:

List of dams and reservoirs in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

total dams and reservoirs in Pakistan over the height of 15 m (49 ft) are 143.
750px-Pakistan_location_map.svg.png

vs

List of dams and reservoirs in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearly 3200 major / medium dams and barrages had been constructed in India by the year 2012.

530px-India_rivers_and_lakes_map.svg.png

P.S
- I hope you are not stuck in 60s :tongue:

so you mean
Pakistan's 143 major/medium Dams are more than India's 3200 Dams ?? nice logic :hitwall:

List of dams and reservoirs in Pakistan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

total dams and reservoirs in Pakistan over the height of 15 m (49 ft) are 143.
750px-Pakistan_location_map.svg.png

vs

List of dams and reservoirs in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nearly 3200 major / medium dams and barrages had been constructed in India by the year 2012.

530px-India_rivers_and_lakes_map.svg.png

P.S
- I hope you are not stuck in 60s :tongue:
the canal and barrage system of our country is largest in asia that we made way back in 60s. Thats what i was saying. The dam theory is something u have put out of yr own ***.

Back
Top Bottom