What's new

Indian retaliation: Australian man stabbed by Indians, Australian's car torched

And a day after the Canada incident which India has declared racism by Indian media reports, a Canadian woman has just been molested by Indian Army personnel.

The two incidents are somehow linked with each other.

V V V

Canadian woman molested on train, accused arrested - Kanpur - Cities - The Times of India

KANPUR: A rape bid was made on a 25-year-old woman of Canadian origin allegedly by a hawildar of 14 Rajputana Rifles here on Wednesday. The victim and the accused both were travelling on Guwahati-New Delhi Sampark Kranti Express.

While the victim along with her husband was coming from New Jalpaigudi in West Bengal, the accused was coming from Assam. The incident, occurred at around 10.45 am when the train was passing through Bihar, came to light after it reached the Kanpur Central railway station at around 8 pm.

The couple reported the matter to TTE, who later submitted a complaint in writing to GRP sleuths at the Kanpur Central railway station. The woman, identified as Amy Alexandra, and her husband Adam Alexandra were travelling on S-I coach of the train. According to SP, railways, KS Manuel, the accused was identified as Dharmendra Singh Tomar, a native of Muraina district in Madhya Pradesh, posted at 14 Rajputana Rifles in Assam.

According to the police, Dharmendra tried to drag Amy inside toilet. When she offered resistance, the accused thrashed her. "On hearing my cries, my husband and other passengers ran towards the loo and rescued me from his clutches," said Amy while talking to TOI.

The accused, who was not in his senses, also misbehaved with them, she added. Later, the passengers thrashed him severely.

The GRP officials further informed that Amy Alexandra and Adam Alexandra, both residents of 233, Western Road, Columbia, Canada, had come to India nearly three months back and were putting at White Empire hotel in Paharganj, New Delhi. A case under sections 354, 264 of IPC was registered by the GRP police. The train was running late by 14 hours and was supposed to arrive at 6 am. The couple after getting their complaint lodged with the GRP, Kanpur Central returned to New Delhi on the same train.

Meanwhile, chaos prevailed at the Kanpur Central railway station, when few Army personnel reached the GRP police station and misbehaved with the media persons.

Race against caste - Subverse - Opinion - The Times of India

The coincidental juxtapositioning of the racist attacks on Indian students in Australia, and the riots that flared across north India last month when members of the Dera Sach Khand, a Sikh sect comprised largely of Dalits, went on the rampage following the killing of one of their community leaders in far-off Austria, once again raises the question: Is racism the same as casteism?

Though racism continues to be practised in many parts of the world, after the end of apartheid in South Africa it has no fig leaf of political or social legitimacy. Formations like the British National Party (which has recently, for the first time, won two seats in the European Parliament) have racism as their hidden agenda; they cannot openly espouse it but disguise it under the garb of the need for stricter immigration control, and the imperative to preserve the cultural norms of the majority (white) community. The overtly racist Ku Klux Klan in America operates under the cover of anonymous masks.

As an officially sanctioned doctrine, racism has ceased to exist in the world. That it continues to be practised, in Australia and elsewhere, is deplorable, to say the least. But the forces of liberalism can at least claim a shambolic victory in that they have driven racism underground, made it the criminalised territory of mindless thugs and goons.

While organisations such as Amnesty International have equated casteism (particularly as practised against Dalits) with racism, India's official position is that the two cannot be compared. In support of this stand, policymakers point out that the Indian Constitution specifically prohibits discrimination on the basis of caste.

How valid is this argument? Tragically, not very. To begin with, the constitutionally-guaranteed policy of reservations (which continues in expanded mode till now) is in itself an admission of the need to protect lower castes from upper caste discrimination. Casteism, particularly as practised against Dalits, continues to be one of the ugliest stains on our supposedly secular and democratic social fabric. Dalits are routinely attacked, raped, denied entry into temples, and forced to suffer endless humiliations. That 'token' Dalits be it Jagjivan Ram, or Meira Kumar, or even the feisty Mayawati have earned prominent positions for themselves in our political sphere only makes the plight of the vast majority of this brutally downtrodden community all the more agonising.

In many ways, casteism is far more deeply entrenched than racism. Racism is based on the difference of physical characteristics, such as the colour of one's skin. Such visible differences, however, can be obliterated, or at least mitigated, by economic and other factors. For instance, thanks to Japan's 'economic miracle' which made that country one of the richest in the world, the apartheid regime in South Africa accorded Japanese the status of 'honorary Caucasians' who were not subject to Pretoria's segregatory laws.

There is no difference in skin colour, or in DNA, or in any other physical characteristic, between a Dalit and a Brahmin. Yet the social chasm between the two has remained unbridged for millennia. And will probably remain so in perpetuity, no matter what economic advances Dalits make.

So Indian officialdom is right when it says that racism and casteism can't be equated. They can't. For the simple reason that casteism is far more overtly rampant, more widespread and more accepted (at least in India) and more deeply ingrained in our polity than racism is anywhere in the world.

And there is one particular caste in India which, in some ways, is as equally if not more oppressed than Dalits. It is a caste that is routinely burnt alive, killed in the womb, beaten, sexually violated and often subject to lifelong abuse and deprivation. It is a caste called women.

Dear Sir,

Is it not normal practice to place quotation marks around partial or wholesale extracts from printed material not your own? Or are you Jug Suraiya writing under another name?

'Joe S.'

Also the existence of reservation indicates the presence of the curse.

Typical bullshit. The reservations are supposed to bring in equality because of the inequality that existed in the past due to various reasons. Today brahminical knowledge has nothing to do with getting jobs, you need knowledge of english, which is secular.

Because somebody's forefathers believed in a system that was not fair does not mean people can't protest when they face racism. such nonsenss has no end, i'm sure though you want israel to hand over jerusalem to palestinians :)

Nobody is falling for your hateful biased worldview. keep ranting.

Fateh,your words are true.....but don't you think educational reservations or quota sd be based on,financial grounds??.....in a modern and secular india......certain things need to change in due course of time.,....otherwise the crorepati sc,obc,and st's are gonna **** all over india,once they pass out as doctors or engineers........in certain govt jobs,even promotion is granted on reservation basis......are all this needed for a growing india??

Fateh,your words are true.....but don't you think educational reservations or quota sd be based on,financial grounds??.....in a modern and secular india......certain things need to change in due course of time.,....otherwise the crorepati sc,obc,and st's are gonna **** all over india,once they pass out as doctors or engineers........in certain govt jobs,even promotion is granted on reservation basis......are all this needed for a growing india??

Of course not.

I was replying to the half assed contention that reservation proves casteism, whereas its supposed to be a solution (flawed) to the problems of the past.

All human being are equal but practically racism exists is all countries ,it is beyond control of governments , it is responsiblity of social workers or religious organisations to develop this sense in young generation.

22-year-old Indian student attacked in Australia

In yet another racial attack on Indians in Australia, a 22-year-old student was allegedly assaulted by a teenager in Adelaide after making “rude” comments about his turban.

Police said the student suffered a broken nose in the assault in Adelaide’s busy market area of Rundle Mall on Thursday and that they have arrested a 17-year-old youth in this connection.

They said the attacker has been bailed to appear in the Adelaide Youth Court.

The attack comes after Indian students in Melbourne and Sydney have held series of rallies over violent attacks and repeated calls for an inquiry into racial attacks against them.

Local media quoted the victim, who requested anonymity, as saying that the attacker started a confrontation by making “rude comments” about his turban.

In another incident, Pakistani student Yasir Raja, 26, believes his Holden Commodore was torched becasue of its “Raja” numberplate.

Raja said friends living in the Enfield area had increased security around their homes in fear of racist attacks.

Now Indians are labeling Lebanese youths in Australia as racists.

Indians in Australia say Lebanese youths behind attacks - Indians Abroad - World - The Times of India

SYDNEY: Indian students on Thursday alleged that Lebanese youths were behind the attacks on them here as they took to streets for the third consecutive night protesting against racial attacks.

The spate of racial attacks against Indians spread to Sydney after members of the community were targeted in Melbourne.

Scores of Indian students on Wednesday night took to the streets of Harris Park in Sydney for third consecutive night to protest racially-motivated attacks against them by Lebanese youths. The protesters alleged that police were ignoring their pleas for protection.

The protests came a day after PM Kevin Rudd warned Indian students against “vigilante action” to prevent attacks against them. Indian protesters continue to say they were being attacked by Lebanese youths. A man, who took part in the protest, was issued with a court notice for carrying an offensive weapon after being allegedly found with a piece of timber during a police search.

Meanwhile, Parramatta city council held a meeting with police, India’s consul general and members of Sydney’s Indian community, with organisers saying students had agreed to stop protest rallies. Earlier on Tuesday, over 70 Indians had gathered at same place after rumours of a man being killed in an attack on an Indian cleaner in Warwick Farm.

I will not be surprised if Indians will start blaming the Chinese also after a few days. I will not be surprised if Indians finally demand the Australian govt to kick out all non-Indian foreign students. Only Indians can say which nation is the next target.

Indians in Australia say Lebanese youths behind attacks - Indians Abroad - World - The Times of India

SYDNEY: Indian students on Thursday alleged that Lebanese youths were behind the attacks on them here as they took to streets for the third consecutive night protesting against racial attacks.

The spate of racial attacks against Indians spread to Sydney after members of the community were targeted in Melbourne.

Scores of Indian students on Wednesday night took to the streets of Harris Park in Sydney for third consecutive night to protest racially-motivated attacks against them by Lebanese youths. The protesters alleged that police were ignoring their pleas for protection.

The protests came a day after PM Kevin Rudd warned Indian students against “vigilante action” to prevent attacks against them. Indian protesters continue to say they were being attacked by Lebanese youths. A man, who took part in the protest, was issued with a court notice for carrying an offensive weapon after being allegedly found with a piece of timber during a police search.

Meanwhile, Parramatta city council held a meeting with police, India’s consul general and members of Sydney’s Indian community, with organisers saying students had agreed to stop protest rallies. Earlier on Tuesday, over 70 Indians had gathered at same place after rumours of a man being killed in an attack on an Indian cleaner in Warwick Farm.

I will not be surprised if Indians will start blaming the Chinese also after a few days. I will not be surprised if Indians finally demand the Australian govt to kick out all non-Indian foreign students. Only Indians can say which nation is the next target.

All is well as long as your house is not burning..!!!!:lol: Cut the crap buddy..!!!

All is well as long as your house is not burning..!!!!:lol: Cut the crap buddy..!!!

Sorry, I did not know your house was burning. Take my condolences and call the Fire Brigade, come on, hurry up, go go go... :D

Last edited:

I will not be surprised if Indians will start blaming the Chinese also after a few days.
Why? have the chinese done something wrong?

I will not be surprised if Indians finally demand the Australian govt to kick out all non-Indian foreign students.
Then you will be surprised that not all people are racist

Only Indians can say which nation is the next target.
No only you can decide which nation you choose to post narrow mildly viewed articles on.

Communist, I think you opinions are ill informed, immature and racist but......I will fight tooth and nail for your opinion to be freely expressed and heard, no matter how stupid you are. Dont fall into the trap of uneducated intolerance and blind hatred. Make up your own mind for once without listening to daddy.

And I am not surprised that Communist is still filled with hate toward Indians.
I am not surprised that Communist stilll consider him self communist, even though he takes sides based religious grounds.
I am not surprised that Communist is loosing his ability to make logical arguments.

Better policing could quell racist attacks

IF you clicked on to the website of the Hindustan Times, one of India's best newspapers, yesterday you would have found the lead story concerned an assault on an Indian student in Adelaide.

On the opinion page, columnist Indrajit Hazra penned a thoughtful and oddly witty piece that acknowledged the complexity of the issue of bashings of Indian students in Australia, but included this deadly comment: "It is disturbing to know that the Australian authorities - whether out of ignorance or as part of PR damage control - are in denial about these attacks being racist."

Australia has been sleepwalking into a crisis over the Indian students. For the moment the news cycle here has run its course.

The attacks finally broke through to get media attention, the students demonstrated in Melbourne and Sydney and the Indian government and media took up the issue. As a result the federal government belatedly responded and Victoria's Premier John Brumby and Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland finally acknowledged that some of the attacks were racist, having previously denied the race angle.

The Victorian and NSW governments then announced increased police action, the effectiveness of which remains to be seen.

The Indian students, naturally law abiding and counselled by older community leaders not to overplay their hand, calmed down. All may be quiet for the moment, though the Indian media has not lost interest. And a new spike of attacks will bring the students back on to the streets. The crisis could be much worse second time around.

Kevin Rudd and John Brumby take note. This is a crisis with profound implications and one from which nobody, except perhaps the Indian students, emerges with any credit.

It is a story of comprehensive Australian institutional failure: from the federal and state governments, through the state police forces to the educational institutions and the media. The prevailing response has been denial.

A characteristic episode came from The Age's state political roundsman Paul Austin, generally one of Melbourne's best journalists, whose initial column on the matter was all about asserting that Melbourne was not as bad as Sydney, as if such a dismal, narrow-cast boast was of the remotest consequence.

Over the past couple of weeks I have spoken to many Indian students and community members. What strikes me are their measured, sensible views.

None I spoke to thinks of Australia as pervasively racist. None has become anti-Australian. But they have real grievances about these attacks and the responses to them, and they overwhelmingly believe there is an element of racism in the attacks. They also report sporadic incidents of racial harassment below assault.

The desperate, panic-stricken declarations of Victorian and NSW police that the attacks were definitely not racist - when at the very best the police haven't got a clue - convince you of exactly the opposite of what the police are asserting.

These foolish declarations also infuriate the students because it's as if they, the victims, have no knowledge of what is happening to them. Indeed, Rudd blandly declaring the attacks had no racial basis was an eerie reprise of John Howard declaring that the Pauline Hanson movement was not racist. Of course it was not solely racist, but it certainly had a racist element.

Or has some wretched focus group poll shown the Prime Minister that Australians simply cannot tolerate the accusation that there is racism alive today in their society?

Here we go again with the fair skin argument, there is already a thread the talks a whole lot of bull crap!!!

Regarding Racism, Racism is a universal treat among human beings, not only in India but every country. And this is one for you Mr. Communist, Even in China if you are not a Hun, then you are treated as inferior. Where a non Hun can become a doctor, but has to work in a factory because he is not a HUN.

I have to say that you're a typical indian poster.:rofl:

atleast get some basic knowledge if you really care about China.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom