What's new

Indian Railways updates

VT station in the 90s
That area has undergone a sea change in past 20 years or so. However for foodies the adjacent area to CSMT is nothing short of heaven. You have guys like Pancham Pooriwaala (delectable vegetarian food),
Pancham.jpg

(that Kadhi is really to die for :smitten:)
Hotel Gulshan Iran (for some really authentic Mughlai cuisine)
view-of-the-restaurant.jpg

782f7233a29c81a3e0709134d6b449f3_featured_v2.jpg

(being a vegetarian can't comment on non veg dishes, but they have softest naan and custard pudding in the town)
and many many Irani restaurants (including the most famous of them all Britannia and Company, some distance from CSMT but in same locality).
britannia-and-company-restaurant-ballard-estate-mumbai-restaurants-1yw173o.jpg

britannia-co.jpg

That place is so nostalgic and filled with history. @padamchen

BNR had the best catering in India
Sir, i've heard this before from old timers that Bengal Nagpur Railways had some of the best dining on IR network. Never got to read much about it though.

Last edited:
WAGC3 converted locomotive flagged off for commercial service by PM from Diesel Locomotive Works Varanasi.
By this conversion, 3,100 HP WDG 3A locomotive has been uprated to 5,000 HP and since this is a 2 section (permanently MUed) loco, the total power of this consist goes up to 10,000 HP, making it third most powerful loco on IR behind WAG 12 (Alsthom Prima 2 version, rated at 12,000 HP) & WAG 11 (also rated at 12,000 HP, but with 12 axles against WAG 12's 8 axles)
52287208_1890806041029674_168737831856898048_n.jpg

Capability of new Locomotive against WAG 7

upload_2019-2-20_21-10-50.png

upload_2019-2-20_21-14-7.png

Last edited:
That area has undergone a sea change in past 20 years or so. However for foodies the adjacent area to CSMT is nothing short of heaven. You have guys like Pancham Pooriwaala (delectable vegetarian food),
Pancham.jpg

(that Kadhi is really to die for :smitten:)
Hotel Gulshan Iran (for some really authentic Mughlai cuisine)
view-of-the-restaurant.jpg

782f7233a29c81a3e0709134d6b449f3_featured_v2.jpg

(being a vegetarian can't comment on non veg dishes, but they have softest naan and custard pudding in the town)
and many many Irani restaurants (including the most famous of them all Britannia and Company, some distance from CSMT but in same locality).
britannia-and-company-restaurant-ballard-estate-mumbai-restaurants-1yw173o.jpg

britannia-co.jpg

That place is so nostalgic and filled with history. @padamchen

Sir, i've heard this before from old timers that Bengal Nagpur Railways had some of the best dining on IR network. Never got to read much about it though.
Britannia is one of the places i visit a lot when back home in Bombay. @anant_s which part of India are you from?

Britannia is one of the places i visit a lot when back home in Bombay. @anant_s which part of India are you from?

Lot of foodies that come to Bombay (for vlogs etc) stop by as well. The owner is a wonderful friendly chap....I had a nice chat with him last time I dropped by bombay. We should all get together at some point there haha.

Lot of foodies that come to Bombay (for vlogs etc) stop by as well. The owner is a wonderful friendly chap....I had a nice chat with him last time I dropped by bombay. We should all get together at some point there haha.
Oh the old man knows me well . we go back almost 30 yrs , but now a days i visit poona more , lovely place and we have a few members there too. Great places to eat in poona too.

Last edited:
@anant_s @kmc_chacko @Joe Shearer @jbgt90 @GeraltofRivia @Vergennes @Dante80 @Peaceful Civilian

A few troll spammers have had their posts deleted and have been thread banned. So keep this thread going guys...it is a (relative) sanctuary that I will keep eye on and direct the higher hand to where needed. Just be patient sometimes and don't respond/quote any troll that shows up. This thread will be kept sanitized. Hopefully I will get it pinned later.

Here is interesting video on BEML progressing from the large bulk rail-metro orders to defence sector projects and developments....a few interesting details are given:

@randomradio @Signalian @VCheng @TheMightyBender @SOHEIL @T-123456 @jamahir @Cell_DbZ @Hamartia Antidote @Major Sam

@Skull and Bones @Water Car Engineer

The newly designed rail cars of Nilgiri Mountain Railways, in India by Integral coach factory Ministry of Railways - India. are finally here. Here's a thread on how they look from outside and inside.

Nilgiri Mountain Railways, a UNESCO Heritage Railways, is one of the oldest Railway Systems in Indian Railways dating as back as 1899. This 120 years old Hill Railways is unique in many ways including the pinion and racked meter gauge track between Mettupalayam and Coonoor that boasts of coaches being hauled by nostalgic X Class Steam Locos albeit with a modern tech added to it.

The coaches that are being used at the NMR are more than 4 decades old and have been refurbished and retrofitted time and again. For the first time, ICF has come forward and took up the task of designing and developing new age steel bodied coaches for the Heritage NMR Railway system. Totally, 15 coaches are being planned to be manufactured by ICF for NMR. Of these 12 coaches will make 3 rakes comprising of 1 first class, 2 second class seater and 1 luggage-cum-passenger car formation, each. The remaining 3 coaches will be spare coaches in case of any replacement needs.

The first formation of 1 rake comprising 4 new all steel stainless steel coaches for the NMR have been just rolled out from ICF and they are now on their way to Mettupalayam by rail.

• New stainless steel coaches for NMR
• Three variants, First class, Second class and Second class luggage van (SLR) with passenger seating
• Large windows for Panoramic view
• Meter Gauge bogies with rack-pinion arrangement in leading axle
• Total Seating capacity 146.
• 1 First class – 32 seats, 2 Second Class – 44 seats each, 1 Second Class Luggage Van (SLR) – 26 seats with a separate space for PWD (persons with disability) passengers to place their wheel chair and sit in it.
• Cushioned seats
• Wheel chair space and wider door in SLR coach
• LED lights
• Hand brakes for pinion and also for wheels
• Covered space for Brake man in every coach
• Inter vehicle coupler for Driver-Guard-Brake man communication in the form of a mic-cum-speaker at each cab for talking between Driver, brakeman, and the guard.

The first dispatch of 4 coaches will shortly reach Salem Division of Southern Railway for operation in NMR section.

N-1.jpg
N-2.jpg
N-4.jpg
N-5.jpg

Trivia: The world Nilgiri means Blue (Neel) Mountains (Giri). The same is reflected in the color of trains on this lovely railways.

Nilgiri-Mountain-Railway.jpg

Nilgiri-Railways-Route-Map-1024x622.png

14403755534_c759d353b0_z.jpg

The newly designed rail cars of Nilgiri Mountain Railways, in India by Integral coach factory Ministry of Railways - India. are finally here. Here's a thread on how they look from outside and inside.

Nilgiri Mountain Railways, a UNESCO Heritage Railways, is one of the oldest Railway Systems in Indian Railways dating as back as 1899. This 120 years old Hill Railways is unique in many ways including the pinion and racked meter gauge track between Mettupalayam and Coonoor that boasts of coaches being hauled by nostalgic X Class Steam Locos albeit with a modern tech added to it.

The coaches that are being used at the NMR are more than 4 decades old and have been refurbished and retrofitted time and again. For the first time, ICF has come forward and took up the task of designing and developing new age steel bodied coaches for the Heritage NMR Railway system. Totally, 15 coaches are being planned to be manufactured by ICF for NMR. Of these 12 coaches will make 3 rakes comprising of 1 first class, 2 second class seater and 1 luggage-cum-passenger car formation, each. The remaining 3 coaches will be spare coaches in case of any replacement needs.

The first formation of 1 rake comprising 4 new all steel stainless steel coaches for the NMR have been just rolled out from ICF and they are now on their way to Mettupalayam by rail.

• New stainless steel coaches for NMR
• Three variants, First class, Second class and Second class luggage van (SLR) with passenger seating
• Large windows for Panoramic view
• Meter Gauge bogies with rack-pinion arrangement in leading axle
• Total Seating capacity 146.
• 1 First class – 32 seats, 2 Second Class – 44 seats each, 1 Second Class Luggage Van (SLR) – 26 seats with a separate space for PWD (persons with disability) passengers to place their wheel chair and sit in it.
• Cushioned seats
• Wheel chair space and wider door in SLR coach
• LED lights
• Hand brakes for pinion and also for wheels
• Covered space for Brake man in every coach
• Inter vehicle coupler for Driver-Guard-Brake man communication in the form of a mic-cum-speaker at each cab for talking between Driver, brakeman, and the guard.

The first dispatch of 4 coaches will shortly reach Salem Division of Southern Railway for operation in NMR section.

View attachment 541711 View attachment 541712 View attachment 541713 View attachment 541714

Trivia: The world Nilgiri means Blue (Neel) Mountains (Giri). The same is reflected in the color of trains on this lovely railways.

Nilgiri-Mountain-Railway.jpg

Nilgiri-Railways-Route-Map-1024x622.png

14403755534_c759d353b0_z.jpg
Nice but lacks the old world charm of the old coaches

I suppose they need to make way for the new

Vistadome Train ride from Visakhapatnam and Araku (Glass ceiling)

Vistadome Coach of Indian Railways : Mumbai - Goa

Back
Top Bottom