What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

Went through the budget thoroughly. In line with expectations and I'm a pessimist :( I have a feeling that while the next 5 years will be a gigantic improvement from the previous 5, it won't be what I was hoping it would.

Why are people expcting problem created in a decade to be solved in 6 weeks?
we are in a hole and it will take a few years to touch growth rate.
a few additional to reduce CAD.
retrospective tax abolishment, gst ,labor reforms..when do these reforms come..they are legislations and nothing to do with fiscal situation.IMO

Exactly.. Nobody had imagined that Jaitley will get this portfolio.. I was certain that Arun Shourie will get the job. But something happened in Jhandewalan and Jaitley became a compromise candidate..He was more suited for Ministry of Law not Finance and Defence..

Defence, Home, Foreign affairs would have been ok (law might be too small a portfolio for him, would have wanted to be in the CCS) but he does not inspire confidence in finance. Not that he may not yet turn out to be a good FM, just that he doesn't feel cut out for this particular job.

On the other hand both Chidambaram & Manmohan Singh inspired confidence & look where it has got us.....

@Ayush - Can you tell me why are these Emiratis commenting on the internal issues of South Asians ? :unsure:

A PAKISTANI should be least bothered about it :coffee:

Wait....did you just call me emirati?? :pissed:
Why is it that everyone doubts my nationality??? :taz:

I am an INDIAN....a very proud one at that.
@WebMaster Pls give us Indian flag wala smiley and a bowdown smiley....pls pls pretty pls.

(Could I bug you amii? :ashamed:)
just how a Kashmiri can comment on Pakistan's matters :bunny:
btw,kal meri internship ka aakhiri din hai :yay:

Went through the budget thoroughly. In line with expectations and I'm a pessimist :( I have a feeling that while the next 5 years will be a gigantic improvement from the previous 5, it won't be what I was hoping it would.

What were you hoping for and where are you most disappointed?

The more the day went on and the more infos came out, the more it seems like a hasty compromise rather than a real way forward. They touched as much as possible and what surprises me the most, are following or even simply taking UPA ways, but didn't show at least one field where they really wanted to change something.

The statements of BJP are also most confusing, when you compare it with the budget!
They talked about bitter pills and hard decision must be taken and raised the several in several fields, but now giving the middle class a 22000 crore tax cut. How does it add up when they hike railway prices to gain 8000 crore, but give away more than twice the ammount for free???
Also they support people to save more at the Banks, but at the same time they cut taxes for mobile phones, televisions and stuff, to make people spend more. So what now, saving or spending?
Coming back to the railway, they invite FDI, but only in minor fields. The stations, the tracks and all will remain under government, but privat companies can take over caterying for example at some stations. So basically they invite Mc Donalds or Star Bucks, with the hope to get more funding, but don't privatise parts of the railway system, to gain more direct investment and improvement but then again, if they go on advertising how bad the situation is and that they don't get any revenue, which private company will come and take a share anyway?

What I like in the budget, is the fact that they kept FDI in defence and the Bank sector at 49%, which leaves these crucial fields in Indian control! With the gobabl financial situation getting better, this raise will invite more investments for anyway.
The defence budget raise is welcomed, but rather disappointing, since it hardly is different from what UPA wanted to allocate anyway.
The focus on infrastructure improvement is important for Indias industry, but much of it is based on hope of gaining FDI as it seems, the funding details are still to come.
Also good, the focus on tourism one of the key sectors that can give India a push.

This is an interim budget , and Jaitley himself told he did not have time to look at several reforms , The real budget will come after 8 months in February . 45 days is too short to make a budget ..

60% of the MGNREGA money on creating infrastructure linked to agriculture. This is expected to bring at least Rs 25,000 crore of investment into agriculture . This is something UPA did not do and the NDA did ...

Last edited:
10525591_10152570387404511_5727140105054613690_n.jpg

Probably a good guess. I believe the fiscal deficit is pretty alarming & the GoI had simply dressed up the figures to suggest otherwise. Jaitley (& Modi) supposedly decided against publishing this fact because of a real fear of a ratings downgrade & permanent damage to India's reputation with international rating agencies.

However this does not explain the truly insipid budget. The only explanation possible is that this government either believes they will simply have better luck than the UPA & incremental steps will be enough or they have decided that the reforms are going to come outside of the budget. I really hope that it is the latter. My only problem is that Jaitley as FM does not yet inspire a lot of confidence. Would have been much more comfortable if someone like Shourie was in that job. We will have to wait & see, the next budget and the period in between will probably give a clearer picture.

The last Vajpayee government took fiscal deficit very seriously and economy was in good health by 2004. We should expect the same thing this time.

In Row Over PM Modi's Aide, Government Divides Opposition, Isolates Congress - NDTV

So what you guys think about this 360 degree somersault by SP, BSP, NCP & most importantly TMC? & despite being single largest party in the RS, Congress will find itself cornered in coming days? or is this a part of Modi's subka saat subka vikaas formula? :D

@arp2041 @Star Wars @jha @Roybot what's your view about today's development?

Opposition is clearly in soup now..........

India has given the most decisive mandate in 30 years to BJP.

Opp. parties cannot be seen to OPPOSE every move of Govt. now, NDA may not have majority in RS but if the opposition tries to shoot down every bill of the GOI in RS, it will be seen very NEGATIVELY across India & BJP will get more stronger. Don't forget crucial Assembly elections of Haryana, Maha, Delhi are coming later this year.

Opposition is clearly in soup now..........

India has given the most decisive mandate in 30 years to BJP.

Opp. parties cannot be seen to OPPOSE every move of Govt. now, NDA may not have majority in RS but if the opposition tries to shoot down every bill of the GOI in RS, it will be seen very NEGATIVELY across India & BJP will get more stronger. Don't forget crucial Assembly elections of Haryana, Maha, Delhi are coming later this year.
Might is right.. that's what it has comes down to. Ruling regional parties like TMC, SP, BJD, AIADM etc can not afford to go on a confrontational mode against the ruling govt, that too one with a clear majority at LS. A govt made of allies can be brought under pressure due to coalition compulsion. I think this is what gives a major advantage to Modi Govt. I think Modi will have clear majority is RS too in coupe of years time if BJP does well in state elections.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom