What's new

Indian Political Corner | All Updates & Discussions.

As per AIIMS report just a few days before Sunanda died, she was on no medications at all and had no pre-existing medical condition. Shashi Tharoor and his cohorts are more than capable of arranging an alibi and it is no biggie at all. That is the lamest excuse, he need not have been present at the scene of death at all.

Arranging alibis? There were cameras, he was at a public function- a day long meeting of the Congress.

I have at least not seen any posts from you criticizing non-BJP govts at all and this is not a case of being selective. While I have seen you concur with posts critical of UPA2, any outright criticism from you of congress or its leaders has been largely missing. Anyway, my post was restricted to the govt in Karnataka. SM Krishna's govt was just as corrupt though of course only Bangalore did a lot better during his time. What you accuse me of is exactly what you are guilty of, seeing only one side.

My criticism cannot necessarily be refined to your tastes. I suggest you look harder. I have not defended Krishna because it hasn't come up. Not defending & not attacking cannot be seen as support, atleast by anyone neutral. I have defended the UPA government & ministers when I saw fit but that was equally true of the NDA government of Vajpayee. No selectiveness, unlike you my loyalties do not permanently reside anywhere.

This link debunks all your claims about Justice Hegde's integrity, Advani's approval notwithstanding, and Yeddy's culpability. I do not expect nor ask that you share my opinions, but given the leeway you seem to extend towards all non-BJP parties, your political inclination and lack of objectivity is obvious.

That is silly. Even Modi didn't buy it, why not ask him to agree first.The case against Yeddiyurappa was stopped not because the High court held him innocent but because they deemed he had not been given a chance to put forward his defence. A defence that does not exist, the decision of the high court only on technical grounds. The man got money from 2 mining firms, only the absolutely cussed would believe that the money was goven from the goodness of the hearts of those corporates which were suffering losses.

Integrity is not decided whether a case is uoheld or not. In that case all high court judges who have their decisions overturned by the Supreme court are, according to your logic, of suspect integrity. How Justice Hegde's integrity is viewed is seen by the Supreme Court going by those findings when it shut down mining. The same court asked him to look at suspected encounter cases in Manipur.

You are welcome to assume lack of objectivity if you want, I'm not inclined to labour that point with you. I have never suggested that I am purely objective on all matters, only that my objectivity or lack therof is not based on party lines. I have my likes & dislikes but unlike you, they are not based on whether the party line is being forwarded. I make no bones that I have & will defend decisions (that I agree with) of the Congress &/or others, just like I will defend those of the BJP . Depends on the decision, not on the party taking it.

Karnataka to get power from Kudankulam - The Hindu

What we are witnessing is power cuts with additional capacity already added. This after the govt boasted of the state having surplus power just a few months ago.

Water my dear chap, water. Karnataka depends on hydel power, poor rains keep demand high while supply becomes worse with every passing day. Nothing to do with the party running the government. Not yet anyways. Will be if they do nothing in the rest of their term.

False allegations? Not even die hard BJP supporters I know believe that crap. Even Modi didn't believe it, its why Yeddy is not in the cabinet. If Yeddy was with the BJP, its voteshare would have been nowhere in the cicinity of the BJP+KJP. Doesn't work like that. The BJP won in the general elections on a Modi wave, not on some imagined KJP+BJP vote share. Had rthere been no Modi wave, the BJP would have been lucky to get anything more than 5-7 seats. (for instance, the Congress pulverised 2 combined BJP+KJP+JD(S) candidates in by elections last year)

Of course Mr. Modi believes in Yeddyurappa which is why he was taken back into BJP. BJP is also well aware of the hounding that happened in the name of balancing act and to mitigate congress' corruption charges by spreading corruption charges equally to BJP too. Modi campaigned hard for BJP for the state elections too and that did not make any dent which goes to show that it was not Modi all along but the vote splitting due to Yeddy's leaving BJP. Which it why it became necessary to get Yeddy back into the fold for the LS elections. You were singing the same song before LS elections as to how BJP wont win in Karnataka and were proved wrong. Do not let that stop you from carrying on in the same vein.

As iI said your entitled to believe whatever you want, including that the previous BJP government in Karnataka was the best ever. Lets agree to disagree. Just leave the funny questions of my motivations for any posts at home.

Wow, you are of course above imputing motivations.

Arranging alibis? There were cameras, he was at a public function- a day long meeting of the Congress.

Arranging alibis as in he did not need to be the one to commit the crime but could have gotten someone else to do it. Anyway, the case is going to be re-investigated and he is not going anywhere but to prison.

That is silly. Even Modi didn't buy it, why not ask him to agree first.The case against Yeddiyurappa was stopped not because the High court held him innocent but because they deemed he had not been given a chance to put forward his defence. A defence that does not exist, the decision of the high court only on technical grounds. The man got money from 2 mining firms, only the absolutely cussed would believe that the money was goven from the goodness of the hearts of those corporates which were suffering losses.

Nope. There was no evidence Yeddy had done any favors to the Jindal Group. The High Court quashed the FIR against Yeddyurappa based on the Lokayukta report. Not only that, it gave serious slamming to Justice Hegde for not following basic principles of natural justice, and removed the part of the report that was critical of Yeddyurappa.

Integrity is not decided whether a case is uoheld or not. In that case all high court judges who have their decisions overturned by the Supreme court are, according to your logic, of suspect integrity. How Justice Hegde's integrity is viewed is seen by the Supreme Court going by those findings when it shut down mining. The same court asked him to look at suspected encounter cases in Manipur.

On the contrary it was Yeddyurappa who first tried to shut down illegal mining even before SC intervened. On December 29, 2013, front page of Kannada Prabha carried details of how BSY brought in Karnataka Minerals Policy in 2008, and how it was approved by Governor Bharadwaj on December 16, 2008. In brief, that was the first major attempt in Karnataka to stop illegal mining which was rampant for years, or might be decades!

Integrity does come in picture when given how all non-BJP govt's were involved in the mining scam, Justice Hedge found no fault with anyone else but just one govt and that too based on very tenuous connection.

My criticism cannot necessarily be refined to your tastes. I suggest you look harder. I have not defended Krishna because it hasn't come up. Not defending & not attacking cannot be seen as support, atleast by anyone neutral. I have defended the UPA government & ministers when I saw fit but that was equally true of the NDA government of Vajpayee. No selectiveness, unlike you my loyalties do not permanently reside anywhere.

It is only after very hard looking that I came to this conclusion. Of course you are not neutral. Selective attacks on Modi govt in Gujarat and Yeddy's govt in Karnataka are the only criticisms forthcoming from you. Otherwise you pretty much have nothing to say. I do not know about your loyalties, but your bias is obvious.

Water my dear chap, water. Karnataka depends on hydel power, poor rains keep demand high while supply becomes worse with every passing day. Nothing to do with the party running the government. Not yet anyways. Will be if they do nothing in the rest of their term.

There was acute water crisis last year, but not yet this year. Also it has been raining intermittently throughout the last 2 months.

Last edited:
Wow, you are of course above imputing motivations.

This is just an online forum,. Motivation? Seriously? :lol:

Arranging alibis as in he did not need to be the one to commit the crime but could have gotten someone else to do it. Anyway, the case is going to be re-investigated and he is not going anywhere but to prison.

Fine. Call me when that happens.

Nope. There was no evidence Yeddy had done any favors to the Jindal Group. The High Court quashed the FIR against Yeddyurappa based on the Lokayukta report. Not only that, it gave serious slamming to Justice Hegde for not following basic principles of natural justice, and removed the part of the report that was critical of Yeddyurappa.

Yup, I guess you believe that Robert Vadra was paid money by DLF for fun. You can believe what you want, I'm uninclined to buy that people just donate 20 crores to the CM's family charity out of goodness of their heart.

On the contrary it was Yeddyurappa who first tried to shut down illegal mining even before SC intervened. On December 29, 2013, front page of Kannada Prabha carried details of how BSY brought in Karnataka Minerals Policy in 2008, and how it was approved by Governor Bharadwaj on December 16, 2008. In brief, that was the first major attempt in Karnataka to stop illegal mining which was rampant for years, or might be decades!

Integrity does come in picture when given how all non-BJP govt's were involved in the mining scam, Justice Hedge found no fault with anyone else but just one govt and that too based on very tenuous connection.

Funny. You seem to have forgotten that the Reddy brothers were part of the BJP & that Janardhan Reddy is still languishing in jail. Guess they are another group unfairly tarnished.:lol:

It is only after very hard looking that I came to this conclusion. Of course you are not neutral. Selective attacks on Modi govt in Gujarat and Yeddy's govt in Karnataka are the only criticisms forthcoming from you. Otherwise you pretty much have nothing to say. I do not know about your loyalties, but your bias is obvious.

I have plenty to say & have been saying since long. Can't help if you see only what you want.

There was acute water crisis last year, but not yet this year. Also it has been raining intermittently throughout the last 2 months.

That's simply not true. Check on what the levels of the reservoirs have been in the last week. Do you think the Congress government is drinking up the power if it is being produced.:)

This is just an online forum,. Motivation? Seriously?

You should have thought of that before using it in your statements.

Yup, I guess you believe that Robert Vadra was paid money by DLF for fun. You can believe what you want, I'm uninclined to buy that people just donate 20 crores to the CM's family charity out of goodness of their heart.

Robert Vadra was paid money for quid pro quo which is clearly reflected in the increase in his wealth status. That is not the case with Yeddyurappa. If the company made payments in expectation of some favor, certainly they were not forthcoming. There has been no meteoric rise in his wealth nor is he the fastest growing billionaire in this country.

Funny. You seem to have forgotten that the Reddy brothers were part of the BJP & that Janardhan Reddy is still languishing in jail. Guess they are another group unfairly tarnished.

If they are in jail, rightly so. I do not hold brief for the entire BJP and anyone found to be committing any fraud deserves prison time.

That's simply not true. Check on what the levels of the reservoirs have been in the last week. Do you think the Congress government is drinking up the power if it is being produced.

It is not the absence of rain that has caused the power shortage, rather the snags at the thermal power stations which developed in the month of April. Instead of speeding up the repair of these, the state govt is busy indulging in dolonomics and dividing the society.

State to reel under loadshedding

You should have thought of that before using it in your statements.

:) It's why I said your funny comments on motivation.......

It is not the absence of rain that has caused the power shortage, rather the snags at the thermal power stations which developed in the month of April. Instead of speeding up the repair of these, the state govt is busy indulging in dolonomics and dividing the society.

State to reel under loadshedding

I'm no fan of as you rightly put it of Siddaramaiah's "dolonomics" but the power situation has a bit more to it than snags in thermal plants. That is not new, happens almost every year. Monsoon season is usually maintenance season for thermal plants. What is making the difference is the slow monsoon & reduced capacity at Hydel stations.

Bad news on power supply front

With Karnataka receiving just half the rainfall compared to what it received last year, the State’s dependency on thermal resources to generate power may have to continue. Usually, a good monsoon ensures adequate generation of power from hydel resources, thereby reducing the strain on thermal resources.

According to Karnataka Power Transmission Corporation Ltd (KPTCL), the Linganamakki hydel reservoir had 11.69 per cent storage as on Saturday, compared to last year’s 23 per cent on the same day. Similarly, Supa reservoir had 20.68 per cent (last year it was 23.74 per cent) and Mani had 14.08 per cent (it was 21.61 per cent).

As for the energy generated, while 533 MU was generated on Saturday from the Linganamakki reservoir compared to 1048 MU on the same date last year, 653 MU was generated in Supa (750 MU) last year and 137 MU from the Mani reservoir (compared to 210 MU last year).

The KPTCL’s Karnataka Load Dispatch Centre showed that against 7049 MW, the generation stood at 4320 MW.

Bangalore Electricity Supply Company (Bescom) Managing Director Pankaj Kumar Pandey admitted that the Escom was preserving a part of their hydel resources and running more on thermal compared to what they were we were doing last year.

“Hydel resources provide about one-third of the State’s generation and it is slightly lesser for Bescom – about 25 per cent. Usually, during the monsoon season, maintenance of thermal stations is undertaken. But if there is deficit rain, we will have to depend on thermal,” he explained.

While maintaining that there is no shortage as of now, Mr. Pandey said if the monsoon deficit continues, Bescom will have to purchase power from outside or in the worse case, resort to loadshedding. “But that question arises later is there is no adequate rain,” he added.
Bad news on power supply front - The Hindu

Last edited:
BS Yeddyurappa: Victim of political vengeance | India News Analysis and Op-Ed Commentary | Politics | Governance | Economic Freedom | National Interest

That is an unsupportable claim. The High Court quashed the FIR against Yeddyurappa based on the Lokayukta report. Not only that, it gave serious slamming to Justice Hegde for not following basic principles of natural justice, and removed the part of the report that was critical of Yeddyurappa. Some technical details here to drill down the exact injustice done to BSY by Hegde and how High Court corrected it giving justice to BSY.

You can access the full Karnataka High Court judgement quashing Santosh Hegde’s report based FIR against BSY here.

Long before BJP formed the govt in Karnataka, Karnataka had earned the sobriquet of being the most corrupt state in India after Bihar. That was entirely Congress' and JDS' doing.

Here is a blog meant to highlight BJP achievements before the state elections in 2013. Just go through it and you will know how hard BJP actually worked and despite a hostile Central govt and governor Bhardwaj's repeated attempts to sack the govt.

Kiran's Thoughts.. As Is: Dear Karnataka BJP Campaigner, Read This First...

Siddharamaiah's govt is a damp squib after all that. Apart from minority appeasement, I really do not see any good he has done. We are now having more sustained power cuts than before. Just last week for 2 days I had 12 hours power cut respectively. Other days it is between 2-3 hours everyday.
i said he is better than yeddyruappa..i am not an admirer of siddharamaih..but personally he is a very good,clean political leader,though his cabinet ministers are utter wastes..
minority appeasement??..its not a surpise..congress major vote is muslims,christians,vokkaligas,sc/st classes..yeddy was no more different in this case..every one know that he is a lingayat castiest..he even kicked the then best performing CM sanadhana govda ( thulu govda) for no reason and placed his loyal dog and fellow lingayat leader jagadish shetter and made the face of Karnataka BJP even worse..so much for his lingayat appeasement..
reg.power shortage..i don't think its only limited to Karnataka..all over India it exists...

10526133_522158527885460_4100879083110469501_n.jpg

Requested a quote from an Indian supplier of industrial chemicals today. The company was so courteous, prompt and efficient. Too bad their prices simply can't match that of Chinese and Malaysian suppliers.

Really sucks.

News Rumours/Tidbits for the week:

Achche din for DD
The present regime has been avoiding private media and is instead focusing on Doordarshan. In fact, it seems to be a return to the old days when DD was the favoured one and sometimes the only news medium allowed at functions attended by the prime minister. These days, even ANI TV, DD’s usual rival, is missing from the PM’s programmes. When External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj visited Bangladesh recently, only official and semi-official media were part of the accompanying press party. Similarly, private media was not permitted to fly with Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan to Moscow for the World Petroleum Conference. Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar didn’t take journalists with him to Nairobi for the World Climate Conference, reportedly on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s instructions. Modi did not invite journalists on his trip to Bhutan though his plane was flying half-empty. So far, the PMO has not asked the private media to fly with the Prime Minister to the BRICS summit in Brazil beginning July 14.

Mega park for Kashi

Modi has ambitious plans for his Varanasi constituency. He wants to set up a special amusement park. But this will be no Disneyland for children. Instead, it will showcase the art and culture of the different states of India. Modi is paying special attention to not just his constituency but to the entire state of Uttar Pradesh which played a big role in his party’s victory in the recent parliamentary election. P K Mishra, additional principal secretary in the PMO, has been designated as the point-person for all requests from MPs and MLAs for development projects in the state.

EC divided

The Election Commission presided over by CEC V S Sampath met earlier this week. One of the issues discussed was the culpability of former Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan in the paid news scam. Chavan is accused of omitting from his declared election expenses the money he paid to certain newspapers for carrying flattering write-ups about himself during the last Assembly elections. But there was no unanimity in the Commission about whether Chavan, now an MP, could be disqualified for allegedly violating the law.

Blatant salesman

French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius held a press conference for the Indian media during his visit last week. While winding up his conference, Fabius announced that he had a surprise for the journalists. He introduced a French businessman who had invented an iPhone app which, he said, would be of use to Indian tourists visiting France. The application translates Hindi into French, and has information on tourist sites and other useful data. The Ministry of External Affairs was taken aback that the French minister was blatantly plugging for a private corporation. In India, a minister speaking on behalf of a private entrepreneur would have immediately attracted a barrage of criticism.

Lucky strike rate

With five BJP spokespersons being elevated as ministers — Ravi Shankar Prasad, Smriti Irani, Nirmala Sitharaman, Prakash Javadekar and Piyush Goyal — party members realise the spokesperson’s job is the quickest route to greater glory. The other national party spokespersons — Shahnawaz Hussain, Sudhanshu Trivedi, Bhupendra Yadav and Meenakshi Lekhi — are hoping that some luck would rub off on them as well. In fact, Lekhi, MP from New Delhi, nurses ambitions of being projected as the party’s chief ministerial candidate for Delhi. Trivedi, a close associate of Home Minister Rajnath Singh, has opted to continue as a spokesperson rather than becoming an aide to Singh in the ministry, a position he held the last time Singh was a minister in the Vajpayee regime.

Shahenshah Modi

The delay over the announcement of Amit Shah as BJP president is because a section in the RSS believes that if Shah leads the party, power will be concentrated in Narendra Modi’s hands. The Sangh feels that an individual should not be more important than the organisation. There are several people in the BJP who secretly share the belief that Modi’s writ will go completely unchallenged if his right-hand man is appointed head of the party. Though it is clear that Shah has the requisite organisational skills — as is evident from the party’s victory in UP — and his rivals for the post are not as dynamic, there are a number of senior leaders in the BJP who are working behind the scenes against Shah. Rajnath Singh and Nitin Gadkari are part of the team which has to take a final call in the matter.

Inside track: Achche din for DD | The Indian Express | Page 99

Back
Top Bottom