What's new

Indian pharma firms to cut medicine rates in Pakistan by a third

Pharma exports to touch $600m by 2010: exporters this is from your friends link.

no from the data that i have provided in post no 53 it seems that export of pharma products and surgical equipment together will be $600 million

Dang! Seems like our companies are going for the kill eh? Totally stunting local pharmaceutical competition forever.

Well we don't know the impact of such actions on Pakistani Pharmaceutical companies / distributors etc
A move where a sector is completely destroyed is not a good thing - example like our auto sector completely destroyed by foreign cars

The idea of MFN status is increased trade , but this action is more or less monopolization by heavy price reduction and frankly India makes Generic versions of medicines , (Under licence) the western companies will object to mass production of the medicine and resale etc

Genious, Generics are allowed only after the original patent hlders Patent on the drug gets expired. People just comment with half knowledge, You are right that most of the indian manufactureres produce generics but most if not 100% are after the original patent has expired becoz FDA doesn't give patents to inventors forever.

This is win-win deal for both the countries.
Presently i happen to understand that Pakistani Pharmaceutical industry is very small and most of it's medicine is imported at heavy price from western countries.
So MFN status means Indian companies will only replace western companies and prices of the important medicine will come at very cheap price.

As for as the few peoples concerns of Indian companies might increase the price over the year, i don't think they will do so, also doors is always open for the western companies to return.

Back
Top Bottom