What's new

Indian Olympics Dream: Rio 2016

How Many Medals Will India win in Rio 2016?

• Total voters
Literally I am now hope less about any medal now, I think only Yogeshwar Dutt can bring it now, if he performs his best.

We got Vikas in good form in boxing. If he wins in the coming bout, he is guaranteed a medal.

How many medals did you choose in the opening poll in this thread?

I put it down 4 - 6...I thought they will come from shooting, boxing and wrestling in some combination....any extras from badminton, hockey and tennis would help replace some of the good chance ones that fail. That was my thinking.

I think we can still win a cpl medals (prediction one from boxing, one from wrestling)...unlike people saying its going to be 0.

There were many "if"s at the start of the games, now it all comes down to luck and ability of the athletes to hold pressure.

I got a gut feeling he is going to pull through...seeing his performance against the resilient tough turk in the last round.

I don't want to jinx it though, so ill shut up now :P

I got a gut feeling he is going to pull through...seeing his performance against the resilient tough turk in the last round.

I don't want to jinx it though, so ill shut up now :P
I too had a gut feelings few days back about hockey, and they lost. So won't mention any gut feelings, till the games end. :lol::lol:

I put it down 4 - 6...I thought they will come from shooting, boxing and wrestling in some combination....any extras from badminton, hockey and tennis would help replace some of the good chance ones that fail. That was my thinking.

I think we can still win a cpl medals (prediction one from boxing, one from wrestling)...unlike people saying its going to be 0.

Can is different than expected. Can means hope and chance, expected means expectations.

The problem here in this thread is that people suddenly become too sure that India will win a medal, even with the slightest of good performances.

People said here that India will win 5-6 medals in shooting.
Why did they say so?

Because they hoped.

Hope is different than expectation.

And for proper predictions, I made a chart of medallists according to their world rankings at current time.

You know what it said about India's medal prospects in Shooting?

Yes, India had only one shooter within top 3.

Don't you think my prediction was closer to the actual number, which was zero.

Honestly, These Rio Olympics is being a downer ! not with the athletics But with the organization and the crowd!. sad attendance for each game! ... Still Remember the amount of people filling the seats for London , amazing!

Can is different than expected. Can means hope and chance, expected means expectations.

The problem here in this thread is that people suddenly become too sure that India will win a medal, even with the slightest of good performances.

Why did they say so?

Because they hoped.

And for proper predictions, I made a chart of medallists according to their world rankings at current time.

Yes hence I went for conservative 4 - 6 as well which would have been a strong result. Anything more would be bonus. I am not too disappointed with 1 - 3 or even 0 given the state of Indian sports scene....though I am confident India will get 1 - 2 medals now at least.

Definitely never believed the wild predictions some people made for 10+ medals.

Whether we win any medal or not,
One thing is for sure, the sports culture of India is gonna change.

How ? Same was predicted four years ago after London when India had it's most successful games in history, But so far has been a major setback or even a catastrophe.. With a record number of participants, Given the odds of the humongous talent pool there should aleast be a dozen medals

Being optimistic is fine, Delusional is not

Let me ask you guys a genuine question not a troll attempt,

I've read quite a bit about the status of Indian sports last couple of days, Now it does not seem to me the reasons given here about the lack of govt support or finances are actually very valid.. India seems to have 4 very very lucrative professional competitions, The IPL, Hockey League, Football League and Kabaddi League, Where the teams involved have been able to get the worlds top professionals in each sport to play for them ? TV rights and sponsorship's raking in billions of $'s.. So there is definitely a lot of money in sports there

How come non of that have seeped in to grass root level or have been able to produce world class sportspersons except few Cricketers ? Cricket being a veritable religion there and give the numbers India should ideally dominate very aspect of it, which quite surprisingly they dont either

Is it because one of Indian pals once said that Indians are great sport fans but not great sportsman/women ?

No need to loose the plot on this it's not a ridicule nor an attempt to troll, A reasonable discussion is expected.. @Nilgiri @nair @GuardianRED @Bussard Ramjet @OrionHunter etc...

Why did they say so?

Because they hoped.

Dude, if you make prediction based on their ranking....then China has missed a lot of gold medals in shooting!
Their actual performance in shooting finals is very hard to predict under the new rules.......Some world number one from China failed to enter semi-finals!

Dude, if you make prediction based on their ranking....then China has missed a lot of gold medals in shooting!
Their actual performance in shooting finals is very hard to predict under the new rules.......Some world number one from China failed to enter semi-finals!

I know. China underwhelmed in shooting big time!

Yang Haoran had won pretty much every thing in 10 m Air rifle, but couldn't even qualify for finals!

I have followed all shooting events.

Du Li was first in qualifiers, but was second in finals!

Zhang Jingjing is world rank 1 in 25 m pistol, and was first in qualifiers, but 4th in finals.

So, rankings have their drawbacks; but they are still a good way to predict things.

I know. China underwhelmed in shooting big time!

Yang Haoran had won pretty much every thing in 10 m Air rifle, but couldn't even qualify for finals!

I have followed all shooting events.

Du Li was first in qualifiers, but was second in finals!

Zhang Jingjing is world rank 1 in 25 m pistol, and was first in qualifiers, but 4th in finals.

So, rankings have their drawbacks; but they are still a good way to predict things.
Do you know the new rules in shooting???
They make the games impossible to predict.

How ? Same was predicted four years ago after London when India had it's most successful games in history, But so far has been a major setback or even a catastrophe.. With a record number of participants, Given the odds of the humongous talent pool there should aleast be a dozen medals

Being optimistic is fine, Delusional is not

Let me ask you guys a genuine question not a troll attempt,

I've read quite a bit about the status of Indian sports last couple of days, Now it does not seem to me the reasons given here about the lack of govt support or finances are actually very valid.. India seems to have 4 very very lucrative professional competitions, The IPL, Hockey League, Football League and Kabaddi League, Where the teams involved have been able to get the worlds top professionals in each sport to play for them ? TV rights and sponsorship's raking in billions of $'s.. So there is definitely a lot of money in sports there

How come non of that have seeped in to grass root level or have been able to produce world class sportspersons except few Cricketers ? Cricket being a veritable religion there and give the numbers India should ideally dominate very aspect of it, which quite surprisingly they dont either

Is it because one of Indian pals once said that Indians are great sport fans but not great sportsman/women ?

No need to loose the plot on this it's not a ridicule nor an attempt to troll, A reasonable discussion is expected.. @Nilgiri @nair @GuardianRED @Bussard Ramjet @OrionHunter etc...

Read my post here:

https://defence.pk/threads/indian-olympics-dream-rio-2016.438182/page-41#post-8574318

IPL and kabbadi are already out of olympics realm. Football and hockey leagues are pretty puny in finance terms compared to the world sporting. Same goes for the badminton league and wrestling league.

Besides leagues only do so much for most of the olympic disciplines which are sports that dont have leagues or attract much free market money and coverage. You need massive state sponsoring and/or high per capita income....none of which India has.

India can maybe make a good boxing league to improve talent and exposure but that requires boxing federations in india to not fall apart every year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom