What's new

Indian Olympics Dream: Rio 2016

How Many Medals Will India win in Rio 2016?

• Total voters
Similar with China, but some Chinese athletes have their own training service team, personal coach, the fees are covered by themselves, anyway, this kind athletes are very rare.

We are at level of China in 50s and 60s when it comes to sports funding and infrastructure for olympic sports.

The exception may be only tennis (for the main grand slams and tournaments) where a number of our athletes have won good prize money and enter those with their own finances/coaches etc... or some combination.

Outside of Cricket, its generally a very poor support structure for Indian athletes that somehow manage to dedicate their talent to sports.

Field hockey used to be a guarantee medal for India and Pakistan back in the day at the olympics....but the sport has changed surface from grass to astroturf....which has made the skills that indians had redundant.

I know at least the army has some capability in producing athletes for shooting etc as well. but beyond that its next to nothing in general (for strong dedicated support). If you watch the CCTV documentary I posted earlier....you can see just how much luck is needed for someone with talent to actually get the right support and opportunity esp for an activity that is not well known among Indians in general.

Similar with China, but some Chinese athletes have their own training service team, personal coach, the fees are covered by themselves, anyway, this kind athletes are very rare.
Abhinav Bindra is one such shooter from India, who supports his own training, and yes they are very rare. He even helps other athletes as well.

Maheshwary Renjith will be in action, in triple jump event. I have high hopes from him. This guy just broke national record recently.

Maheshwary Renjith will be in action, in triple jump event. I have high hopes from him. This guy just broke national record recently.

Is his medalling chances high you think? I heard he got some great personal bests as well and is full of confidence. He needs to not let any pressure get to him and just treat as a normal practice.

Don't miss Lalita Babbar today, she will compete in 3000km stepple chase. She broke national record day before yesterday, she not a medal hope but she will be competitive.

Is his medalling chances high you think? I heard he got some great personal bests as well and is full of confidence. He needs to not let any pressure get to him and just treat as a normal practice.
"High hopes" means, he might qualify for the finals. Literally I am now hope less about any medal now, I think only Yogeshwar Dutt can bring it now, if he performs his best.

Don't miss Lalita Babbar today, she will compete in 3000km stepple chase. She broke national record day before yesterday, she not a medal hope but she will be competitive.

"High hopes" means, he might qualify for the finals. Literally I am now hope less about any medal now, I think only Yogeshwar Dutt can bring it now, if he performs his best.

You should know that Indian National records in Athletics are very shabby, and not even close to International standards.

So, breaking a national record means nothing on the international stage.

If SAI decide to train you, they will cover a lot of the expenses, for example weight lifter from our state mentioned 80% of his expenses are covered by SAI, and he also has a govt job which pays him.

He also mentioned that at the grass root level, in things like weightlifting , there is not much infra or guidance, but at the national level in Patiala, the facilities are good.
(Interview is in Tamil)

You're right. I think we'll come back from Rio with a wooden spoon this time. 1.3 billion souls and narry a medal! This sucks!

You should know that Indian National records in Athletics are very shabby, and not even close to International standards.

So, breaking a national record means nothing on the international stage.
Lalita's time was competitive in 9:19s, she was first among the loosers. She broke the record by 6 second margin which is quite high. Lets just hope she runs well, telecast is around 4:30 PM IST.

We are at level of China in 50s and 60s when it comes to sports funding and infrastructure for olympic sports.

The exception may be only tennis (for the main grand slams and tournaments) where a number of our athletes have won good prize money and enter those with their own finances/coaches etc... or some combination.

Outside of Cricket, its generally a very poor support structure for Indian athletes that somehow manage to dedicate their talent to sports.

Field hockey used to be a guarantee medal for India and Pakistan back in the day at the olympics....but the sport has changed surface from grass to astroturf....which has made the skills that indians had redundant.

I know at least the army has some capability in producing athletes for shooting etc as well. but beyond that its next to nothing in general (for strong dedicated support). If you watch the CCTV documentary I posted earlier....you can see just how much luck is needed for someone with talent to actually get the right support and opportunity esp for an activity that is not well known among Indians in general.

Support is an aspect, interests is another. There are 3 games 0-exist in China, I actually don't know the reason: Baseball, Cricket and Rugby. Interests is important.

Back
Top Bottom