What's new

Indian Navy sinking of Pirate 'Mother Ship' was actually a 'Thai Trawler'

Yes, this ship was earlier a Thai vessel, and was later hijacked by the Somali pirates. The shipping company did not disclose what happend to this ship. This ship was under the pirate control and they began using this ship as a 'mother ship' and had stored a huge amount of ammunation and explosives o-board. When INS Tabar requested it for an inspection, they opened fire on INSTabar, and fire was promptly returned. The ammunition on-board exploded causing the ship to sink. Now, the Thai shipping company wants to claim insurance for the ship. It seems un-confirmed report that,enquiry has been ordered by the Thai Govt. against the shipping company, as to why it did not disclose that the vessel was hijacked by pirates or even missing at sea.

Indian navy mistakenly sank Thai trawler - Yahoo!7 News

A maritime official says a ship sunk by the Indian navy near Somalia last week was a Thai fishing trawler, not a pirate boat as originally reported.

Noel Choong of the International Maritime Bureau (IMB) said one Thai crew member died when the Indian ship fired on the boat in the Gulf of Aden on November 18.

He said 14 other crew members remained missing, while a Cambodian sailor was rescued four days later by passing fishermen.

Choong said on Wednesday that the IMB received a report on the apparent mistake late Tuesday from Bangkok-based Sirichai Fisheries, which owned the Ekawat Nava5 vessel.

India's navy last week said its frigate INS Tabar battled a pirate "mother vessel" in the gulf, setting the ship ablaze.

AN there was no distress signal given by the ship, IN asked for search they threatened and even fired. IN retaliated with close in guns not even main gun. And that's it.

What crap. Have u any naval experience to make such stupid comments.

Does firing across the bow mean anything to you ?

Murdering 15 innocent hostages using a 100 mm gun and 4-10 Somali pirates makes the Indian Navy as bad as the Pirates.

Please read what IMB has to say.

Regards

What crap. Have u any naval experience to make such stupid comments.

Does firing across the bow mean anything to you ?

Murdering 15 innocent hostages using a 100 mm gun and 4-10 Somali pirates makes the Indian Navy as bad as the Pirates.

Please read what IMB has to say.

Regards

Now tell me how you do the things. As per my little knowledge goes and from various news reports coming in. In asked them for bard and search. they refused and threatened so what was supposed to be the response? There was no distress signal from the ship.

Now tell me how you do the things. As per my little knowledge goes and from various news reports coming in. In asked them for bard and search. they refused and threatened so what was supposed to be the response? There was no distress signal from the ship.

Please read the neutral IMB report posted by me.

Firstly INS Tabar was there to guard Indian shipping and not all shipping and hence boarding them or stopping them was illegal.

Indian navy should have contacted IMB on the Satphone and asked them the status of the boat. They would have got an immediate reply.

Then the Captain should have informed the Thai Govt and asked their permission for intervenening.

Take it from me. The Thai Govt. will protest and INS Tabar will be withdrawn soon and the Capt will be discreetly punished or made to retire.

Regards

Certainly this action of the Indian navy would violate international law. What made them do this when the trawler was clearly no threat to INS Tabar

Certainly this action of the Indian navy would violate international law. What made them do this when the trawler was clearly no threat to INS Tabar

Don't worry the truth will come out. There is a survivor. When he tells the real story most Indians will hang their head in shame.

Regards

Maybe the recent reports are right.

And so maybe the Indian Navy went too far ahead with this.

A mistake that is indeed regretted.
If all this is true then without any doubt the Indian Navy should apologize and give compensation.

But this has to be investigated properly and that too by a neutral agency.One cant go about believing every Tom,Dick and Harry on this.

As far as effective patrolling is concerned the Western countries have done far worse than India despite all their resources.There is no clear rules of engagement exist to regulate how naval forces handle pirates encountered on the open seas.

Another limitation on the U.S. Navy is what it does with captured pirates or “persons under control” (PUCs). No international consensus has emerged about what to do with PUCs because European nations bristle at proposals to return pirates to their home governments, most of which, like Somalia, are perpetual human rights abusers.

A consensus has to be reached and the UN has to get on this.

Its the poor country India which is making the most noise about reaching a consensus and co-ordinate patrols in Gulf of Aden.

And lets not forget the Chinese depend on this route as well,haven't seen them doing anything,it will be interesting what the reaction will be from the Chinese especially the Chinese on this forum if one of their ships is rescued by the Indian Navy!!

Maybe the recent reports are right.

And so maybe the Indian Navy went too far ahead with this.

A mistake that is indeed regretted.
If all this is true then without any doubt the Indian Navy should apologize and give compensation.

But this has to be investigated properly and that too by a neutral agency.One cant go about believing every Tom,Dick and Harry on this.

As far as effective patrolling is concerned the Western countries have done far worse than India despite all their resources.There is no clear rules of engagement exist to regulate how naval forces handle pirates encountered on the open seas.

Another limitation on the U.S. Navy is what it does with captured pirates or “persons under control” (PUCs). No international consensus has emerged about what to do with PUCs because European nations bristle at proposals to return pirates to their home governments, most of which, like Somalia, are perpetual human rights abusers.

A consensus has to be reached and the UN has to get on this.

Its the poor country India which is making the most noise about reaching a consensus and co-ordinate patrols in Gulf of Aden.

And lets not forget the Chinese depend on this route as well,haven't seen them doing anything,it will be interesting what the reaction will be from the Chinese especially the Chinese on this forum if one of their ships is rescued by the Indian Navy!!

Dear Geromix,

Please tell me when all Navies operating there knew the status what was the Indian Navy doing ?
All naval ships have a satphone and what stopped the Captain from making a call to IMB ?

Regards

BTW ; IMB is neutral and headed by an Indian

Dear Geromix,

Please tell me when all Navies operating there knew the status what was the Indian Navy doing ?
All naval ships have a satphone and what stopped the Captain from making a call to IMB ?

Regards

BTW ; IMB is neutral and headed by an Indian

What does that have to do with anything?

Apparently what seemed to be the right actions taken initially by IN , have turned controversial…..lets not compare it and try to justify it by relating it to other controversial issues….

If there were pirates and there actions merit the hostility that deserves a sinking, if the right procedures were adopted before dispersing the live ammo, if there were enough warnings given to the fishing vessel…..then I am with IN and surely there actions will be appreciated all over the world as these bugger pirates are becoming pain in arse for everyone..

However, if the degree of hostility wasn’t such that it actually threatened the safety of INS Tabar or its crew, and/or, if procedures were bypassed in a haste to knock the vessel out for whatever reason….then I think that IN actions are questionable and will haunt them later...

Right or wrong actions, an inquiry will be held anyway to look into the circumstances …..Meanwhile, If we keep our national biases aside for a while and wait for few more days, things should become much clearer……

As for the pirates, they should to be taken out but not on the cost of innocent lives...

I am not doubting IMB on this but its still far too early to draw conclusions.

I am saying that there should be a proper investigation into this matter,a probe is necessary and only then would the complete truth come out.That might answer ur question why the Captain didnt call the IMB.

As an Indian it would be a matter of shame,the Captain should be punished but at this moment we should call for an investigation into this matter and not for the head of the Captain!!!

And my earlier point was that there was a lack of effective co-operation among the many navies there.

Btw,hundreds of innocent people have died due to US missile strikes along the Afghan border in name of killing terrorists.The similarity between that and the Indian action is clear.
While terrorists have died but the collateral damage is too high.There is very little the West can teach India on this.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom