What's new

Indian Navy receives second P8I

illusion8

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India

Washington: American defence major Boeing has delivered the second P-8I aircraft to India that is likely to boost the Indian Navy's long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare capabilities.

Boeing, which is building eight P-8I aircrafts for India, delivered the first one in May.

Based on the company's Next-Generation 737 commercial airplane, the P-8I is the Indian Navy variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing has developed for the US Navy.

"With two aircraft at Naval Station Rajali now, the Indian Navy will get a good feel for the P-8I's interoperability with other aircraft," said Leland Wight, Boeing P-8I programme manager

"Acceptance trials on the first aircraft are progressing well and its availability for testing has been excellent, in large part due to Boeing's worldwide 737 support capabilities," Wight said.

The aircraft delivered yesterday will begin flight trials in the coming months.

The first P-8I recently completed testing its weapons capabilities, including successfully firing a Boeing Harpoon missile at a target and dropping a torpedo.

In order to efficiently design and build the P-8I and the P-8A, the Boeing-led team is using a first-in-industry, in-line production process that draws on the company's Next-Generation 737 production system, a media release said.

Read more at:
Indian Navy receives second P8I maritime patrol aircraft - The Economic Times

Boeing is very very punctual and delivering the air crafts without any price hike..
Now look at Sukhoi's FGFA project .. :hitwall: ....

Anyway, P-8I 's will surely boost our Naval capabilities ... :cheers:

Americas delivery schedule is dot on time always

Boeing is very very punctual and delivering the air crafts without any price hike..
Now look at Sukhoi's FGFA project .. :hitwall: ....

Anyway, P-8I 's will surely boost our Naval capabilities ... :cheers:

From Boeing, we ordered a product that had already been developed. From Sukhoi, we are looking to codevelop something that doesn't exist yet.

Look at Lockheed's F-35 project, for an apples to apples comparison.

From Boeing, we ordered a product that had already been developed. From Sukhoi, we are looking to codevelop something that doesn't exist yet.

Thanks for the comparison .. I was just trying to point out all those price hikes and development delays by Russian arms factory now a days...

That's a good example, but the fact remains is US is better in deliveries and quality than the Russians, while on the other hand the Russians are open for selling sensitive equipment's while the US are apprehensive, so it's a difficult comparison.

That's a good example, but the fact remains is US is better in deliveries and quality than the Russians, while on the other hand the Russians are open for selling sensitive equipment's while the US are apprehensive, so it's a difficult comparison.

It is a difficult comparison. I mean, we buy so much stuff from Russia and so little from the USA. The delays we hear from Russia are the stuff that have to be developed for our needs, like the PAK-FA or Vikramaditya. I haven't heard of delays in T-90s or Talwars. OTOH, everything we have bought from the US so far are mature platforms.

One thing we have to understand is that high tech projects that are venturing into unchartered territory always brings delays. Tejas, F-35, PAK-FA. So I wouldn't give the Russians too much flak over these projects, because delays and cost overruns are the norm.

That being said, there is a leitimate issue with Russia's supply chain and service post purchase. Whereas I have not heard of any issues like that ffrom American companies.

It is a difficult comparison. I mean, we buy so much stuff from Russia and so little from the USA. The delays we hear from Russia are the stuff that have to be developed for our needs, like the PAK-FA or Vikramaditya. I haven't heard of delays in T-90s or Talwars. OTOH, everything we have bought from the US so far are mature platforms.

One thing we have to understand is that high tech projects that are venturing into unchartered territory always brings delays. Tejas, F-35, PAK-FA. So I wouldn't give the Russians too much flak over these projects, because delays and cost overruns are the norm.

That being said, there is a leitimate issue with Russia's supply chain and service post purchase. Whereas I have not heard of any issues like that ffrom American companies.

Thanks for en-lighting us...

I'm not a very much supporter of US arms though .. I think they won't give ToTs so easily ...

Can you shed some light on the arms we have got from Russia along with ToT (if any) .. ??
Thanks..

The difference is Russian stuff and Russians are trustworthy. Americans are Not. And in the world of Defence (and probably every other world), it makes all the difference.

I haven't heard of delays in T-90s or Talwars.
Actually bro:
A top Russian official has said that the first of the new Talwar class frigates, ordered under a $1.1 billion contract in 2006 and set to be delivered by the end of this year, has been delayed.

senior Russian officials have been quoted as saying that while dockside trials are on, the frigate will not be able to meet its deadline.

Besides the delay, a price escalation is also likely as the Yantar shipyard that is constructing the warships has asked for an additional $100 million for the ships

Russian asked for an additional $100 million for Talwar class frigates

You'd be hard pressed to find an Indo-Russian defence deal that hadn't encountered delays or cost escalation- usually both.

With the Talwars, the Ruskies effectively used Indian funds (for the Talwars) to upgrade the once decrepit Yantar shipyard.

Actually bro:

Russian asked for an additional $100 million for Talwar class frigates

You'd be hard pressed to find an Indo-Russian defence deal that hadn't encountered delays or cost escalation- usually both.

With the Talwars, the Ruskies effectively used Indian funds (for the Talwars) to upgrade the once decrepit Yantar shipyard.

And they sell the high end stuff to the chinese as well forcing us to operate mostly american stuff near the chinese border..other than pakfa, which is taking its own sweet time and the MTA there's hardly anything concrete on the table with the russians - I would assume we will increasingly be going western even for the IN.

And they sell the high end stuff to the chinese as well forcing us to operate mostly american stuff near the chinese border..other than pakfa, which is taking its own sweet time and the MTA there's hardly anything concrete on the table with the russians - I would assume we will increasingly be going western even for the IN.
Firstly no one is FORCING India to operate American stuff.

Secondly the tech/products the Russians sell to the Chinese is nowhere nearly as advanced as they sell/offer to the Indians. And this is not particularly for any fondness the Russians have for India (although that may exist -I don't really know ) but because the Russians know for a fact they can't trust the Chinese to respect their IPR so from a purely business sense it makes sense to not give the Chinese the latest Russian tech.

Firstly no one is FORCING India to operate American stuff.

Secondly the tech/products the Russians sell to the Chinese is nowhere nearly as advanced as they sell/offer to the Indians. And this is not particularly for any fondness the Russians have for India (although that may exist -I don't really know ) but because the Russians know for a fact they can't trust the Chinese to respect their IPR so from a purely business sense it makes sense to not give the Chinese the latest Russian tech.

Apart from engines for fighter planes, Russians do not sell China anything else these days.

Russia has been trying for many years to see their latest Su-35 fighter but the Chinese do not seem very keen on it.

Apart from engines for fighter planes, Russians do not sell China anything else these days.

Russia has been trying for many years to see their latest Su-35 fighter but the Chinese do not seem very keen on it.
Well the Russians have sold quite a few IL-76/8 and MI-17s to the Chinese relatively recently but these are hardly a threat to India. And even the engines they sold to the Chinese aren't their latest/most advanced products.

Wrt the SU-35S this deal is so ambiguous that it's hard to understand if there was ever any truth behind it. Especially considering the Russians were reportedly reluctant to sell the Mig-29K to the Chinese.

Well the Russians have sold quite a few IL-76/8 and MI-17s to the Chinese relatively recently but these are hardly a threat to India. And even the engines they sold to the Chinese aren't their latest/most advanced products.

Wrt the SU-35S this deal is so ambiguous that it's hard to understand if there was ever any truth behind it. Especially considering the Russians were reportedly reluctant to sell the Mig-29K to the Chinese.

They were supposed to build lada subs for the chinese, what happened to that? also they offered them S400 triumph and supposedly partnership in S500 as well. The Chinese have S300 already.

Back
Top Bottom