What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

The RSS Intrepid look like a very nice ship. Maybe India should buy one.

The RSS Intrepid look like a very nice ship. Maybe India should buy one.

I see no buyers for ur never ending rhetoric "India should buy foreign weapons", may be u should stop it and find another buyer...India in near future,will surely move towards indigenous weapons, u like it or not..and navy has been in the forefront towards this goal for sometime now...

Also, to end ur argument ..here is a small comparison between RSS Intrepid and soon to be commissioned INS shivalik...
--------------------------------------------------------------

RSS Intrepid

General characteristics
Type: Frigate
Displacement: 3,200 tonnes (3,100 long tons)
Length: 114.8 m (377 ft)
Beam: 16.3 m (53 ft)
Draught: 6.0 m (19.7 ft)
Installed power: 4 × ISM V1708 diesel generators, each producing 800 kW (1,100 shp)
Propulsion: 4 × MTU 20V 8000 M90, each rated at 8,200 kW (11,000 shp) (CODAD)
Speed: 27 knots (50 km/h) (maximum)
18 knots (33 km/h) (cruising)
Range: 4,200 nautical miles (8,000 km)
Complement: 70, excluding air crew detachment of about 15
Sensors and
processing systems: Search radar: Thales Herakles multi-function radar
Navigation radar: Terma Electronic Scanter 2001
Sonar: EDO Model 980 active low frequency towed sonar (ALOFTS)
Electronic warfare
and decoys: ESM: RAFAEL C-PEARL-M
Decoys: Sagem Défense Sécurité New Generation Dagaie System, 2 × forward, 1 × aft.
Armament: Anti-ship: 8 × RGM-84C Harpoon SSM
Anti-air: MBDA Aster 15/30 launched from DCNS Sylver A50 32-cell VLS
Anti-submarine: EuroTorp A244/S Mod 3 torpedoes launched from 2 × B515 triple tubes with reloads
Guns: Oto Melara 76 mm gun, 4 × CIS 50MG 12.7 mm HMG
Aircraft carried: Sikorsky S-70B naval helicopter

INS SHivalik
General characteristics
Type: Guided-missile frigate
Displacement: 4,600 tons standard
5,000 tons full load
Length: 142.5 metres (468 ft)[2]
Beam: 16.9 metres (55 ft)[2]
Draught: 4.5 metres (15 ft)
Propulsion: 2 x Pielstick 16 PA6 STC Diesel engines & 2 x GE LM2500+ boost turbines in CODOG configuration.
Speed: 32 knots (59 km/h)[3]
22 knots (41 km/h) (Diesel Engines)
Complement: 257 (35 officers)
Sensors and
processing systems: MR-760 Fregat M2EM 3-D radar
MR-90 Orekh radar
BEL APARNA
HUMSA (Hull Mounted Sonar Array)
ATAS/Thales Sintra towed array systems
BEL Ajanta
Armament: OTO Melera 76mm SRGM
2 x AK-630 30mm guns
32 x Barak SAM[4]
9M317 (SA-N-12) SAM
8 x Klub/Brahmos cruise Missiles[5]
90R missiles (ASW)
DTA-53-956 torpedoes
Klub ASW Missile
RBU-6000 (RPK-8)
Aircraft carried: 2 x HAL Dhruv or Sea King Mk.42B
---------------------------------------------------------------
May be Singapore navy should start thinking on buying frigates from India

May be Singapore navy should start thinking on buying frigates from India

our shipyard(they are already full IN want to order more ship they can't coze of yard limitation) can not full fill our requirement did you think we can able to make for foreign country

our shipyard(they are already full IN want to order more ship they can't coze of yard limitation) can not full fill our requirement did you think we can able to make for foreign country

are yaar, uski to me tang khich raha tha, isme me itna gussa hone ki kya bat hey?? mujhe pata hey ki apni requirements puri nahi ho rahi....auro ki kya karenge...!! phir bhi agar private shipyards anna shuro ho jaye like "pipanav" then "things can change in coming decade"....so chill!!:cheers:

are yaar, uski to me tang khich raha tha, isme me itna gussa hone ki kya bat hey?? mujhe pata hey ki apni requirements puri nahi ho rahi....auro ki kya karenge...!! phir bhi agar private shipyards anna shuro ho jaye like "pipanav" then "things can change in coming decade"....so chill!!:cheers:
may be coming decade the think change government has expend our shipyard GRSE, MDL, GSL, CSL, and HSL are going to extensive upgradation and also if we combine some of pvt. shipyard think change quickly.

India using navy to spread power, influence: Australian think tank

6 Apr 2010, 1415 hrs IST,IANS

SYDNEY: India was making "great use" of its navy to spread power and influence in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), said an Australian think-tank which observed that a new maritime "great game" was emerging there "as strategic competition between India and China becomes evident".

The report by the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) said that India was "obsessed" with China's entry into IOR and was making "great use" of its navy to spread its power and influence.

"A new maritime 'great game' is emerging in the IOR, as strategic competition between India and China becomes evident. Each has fears of being contained by the other. In China's case, because India is supported by Japan and the US. India promotes itself as the dominant power of the region. It's obsessed by China's entry into the IOR and is making great use of its navy to spread power and influence," the ASPI report added.

It went on to say that India was seeking the role of dominant power in the IOR. However, it also displays "considerable insecurity about the presence of other major powers" in the region.

"India sees itself as a 'threat attractor', at risk from terrorism, domestic insurgencies, arms trafficking and border disputes with its neighbours."

The report warned tensions would increase in the region in which more than 40 per cent of the world's conflicts occurred in 2008, including nine wars and many of the world's high-intensity conflicts, the New Zealand Herald said in a report.

Australia should maintain strong bilateral relations with leading players in the IOR, especially India and Indonesia and should work closely with India and South Africa to develop a declaration setting out broad principles of ocean management, the ASPI report said.

"The ocean was an increasingly important global trading thoroughfare, especially for energy supplies, and the risk of disputes over maritime sovereignty was magnified by the potential wealth beneath its waters."

It suggested that Australia and India should have strong mutual interest in enhancing maritime security cooperation in the region.

Though India "seeks to be the dominant power" in the Indian Ocean, bilateral defence and security cooperation agreements should be pursued with the country. But that should not "jeopardise" Australia's relations with other stakeholder countries in the IOR, the report said.

India using navy to spread power, influence: Australian think tank-Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

Boeing_P-8A_rollout_30_July_2009.jpg

Richard Buck, Program Manager, International Operations, Boeing spoke to 8ak editor, Manu Sood to give us an update on the delivery of the P-8I aircraft to the Indian Navy. Mr Buck told 8ak that the P-8i program was well on track and 2010 will be a critical year for the program as the lab testing of aircraft is scheduled this year, before adding that the delivery of the first aircraft can commence as early as 2013, and the rest being delivered by 2015. In August 2009, the government of India and the U.S. government signed a technical assistance agreement that allowed the program to move forward with the necessary technical discussions required to execute the program. In October 2009, the program completed a successful Preliminary Design Review.

The P-8i has integrated Raytheon's advanced AN/APY-10 synthetic aperture radar for tracking ships, submarines and small coastal vessels; Northrop Grumman's electronic warfare self-protection suite and electronic surveillance measures systems; BAE Systems' countermeasures dispenser system; GE Aerospace's flight and stores/weapons management system, and GE-SAFRAN's powerful CFM 56-7 engines. The company also confirmed that weapons and stores, such as the Boeing-built Harpoon Block II missile, are part of the agreement, to be acquired through the U.S. government under its Foreign Military Sales program.

The program is significant for India, not only because it is the first foreign customer for the P-8i, thereby signifying the new US- India military ties, but also because the size of the offsets program is a whopping US$600 million, which will surely benefit the Indian defence industry.

Many people wrongly believe that this was a government-to-government deal through the Foreign Military Sales route (FMS) but Mr Buck confirmed that the deal was signed after a global tender which requires an offset commitment. Boeing recently signed contracts with three Indian public-sector companies and one private-sector firm to source avionics and electronic equipment. Purchase contracts have been released to the Electronics Corp. of India Ltd. (ECIL), HAL Avionics Division, Bharat Electronics Ltd. (BEL) and Avantel Softech Ltd. Additionally, Boeing has made source selections on three additional aircraft systems. Contracts for those systems will be solidified in the near future. Equipment and software from the Indian suppliers will be delivered to Seattle for incorporation into the P-8I.

The P-8I’s has a range of 1,920km Factor. Boeing has offered the Indian navy a Universal Air Refueling Receptacle Slipway Installation, which can accommodate an air refueling boom similar to those used on the KC-135 and KC-10.

Asked what the difference between the American P8-A and India's P8-I was, Mr Buck replied that the Indian version is customised to India's needs and meets 100% of the requirements as required by the Indian Navy.

General characteristics

* Crew: Flight: 2; Mission: 7
* Length: 126 ft 6 in (39.47 m)
* Wingspan: 117 ft 6 in (35.72 m)
* Height: 42 ft 1 in (12.83 m)
* Empty weight: 138,300 lb (62,730 kg)
* Max takeoff weight: 188,200 lb (85,370 kg)
* Powerplant: 2× CFM International CFM56-7B, 27,000 lbf (120 kN) each

Performance

* Maximum speed: 490 knots (907 km/h)
* Cruise speed: 440 kn (815 km/h)
* Service ceiling: 41,000 ft (12,500 m)

Armament

* (5 internal and 6 external) Joint missiles, Mines and Torpedoes

Avionics

* Raytheon APY-10 multi-mission surface search radar[25]
* (Advanced Airborne Sensor surface search radar and SIGINT package to be follow on system

Hi
And Pakistan recently got Harbin Z-9EC as well, Which has pulse-compression radar, low frequency dipping sonar, radar warning receiver and doppler navigation system. And is also armed with torpedoes

Can anybody explain how a P-3C and a Helicopter is in any league of P-8I?

Stats with links would help a lot!

P-8A actually developed for the USN to replace P-3C. P-8 is the next generation maritime aircraft. India was earlier offered P-3C as well as E-2C but India rejected both. Now India getting P-8I and evaluating E-2D advanced Hawkeye.

Back
Top Bottom