What's new

Indian Navy News & Discussions

Australian Warship HMAS Success in Chennai on 4 day visit. Interaction btwn pers'nel of the Navies to be held.

Cqdyhm0XYAAki7J.jpg

CqdyiZZXYAAKM4r.jpg

CqdyjTfXgAAfxiP.jpg

It has what is in the VLS cells. When load is expended, it is back to port, or alongsde a base ship in some sheltered bay for reloading. That's it. So, at present, 2x8 cells for Brahmos/Club and 4x8 cell for Barak-8
Sir do you believe there is space to Increase the number of cells for BARAK 8s. I think it's seriously low for 32 Sam for a decent destroyer class. At least it should had have 48 cells. Your views sir?

Sir do you believe there is space to Increase the number of cells for BARAK 8s. I think it's seriously low for 32 Sam for a decent destroyer class. At least it should had have 48 cells. Your views sir?
I too have the same question, the newly inducted destroyer are under armed compared to the tonnage they have, 64 Baraks are minimum requirement for ships of 7K+ tons. But I have seen that there are room left on the deck for further update, I don't know why they have left so much space on Kolkata class.

Depends. If Barak-8 has a higher probability of kill with 1 missile, whereas other missiles might routinely be fired in salvo's of 2 to achieve the same probability of kill, then 32 may well be sufficient. I believe for Buk/Shtil, it is common practice to fire 2 missiles per target, just to be sure?

From the point of view of deck space, I would think another 2x8 barak-8 could be accommodated. But I have no way of looking inside the ship. Barak-8 launcher penetrates at least 2 decks deep due to greater missile length (compared to 1 for Barak 1). Perhaps some Barak-1 as inner layer defence are more easily possible.

I too have the same question, the newly inducted destroyer are under armed compared to the tonnage they have, 64 Baraks are minimum requirement for ships of 7K+ tons. But I have seen that there are room left on the deck for further update, I don't know why they have left so much space on Kolkata class.

How do you arrive at that compulsion (i.e. what standard are you measuring)

How do you arrive at that compulsion (i.e. what standard are you measuring)
If B-8 has the 100% killing accuracy then I think 32 might just be enough, but comparing the Kolkata class with Type 052D, Atago class or Type 45 UK, I think SAMs deployed on Kolkata are not enough.

But I have saw in some of the posts that there are spaces left on the deck for further upgradation.

Back
Top Bottom