atlssa

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Indian Navy asks BJP to fund next phase of indigenous carrier build
Rahul Bedi, New Delhi - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
02 June 2014

1516266_-_main.jpg

Vikrant, India's first indigenous aircraft carrier, was launched in August 2013 but work has almost stopped since
because of a funding and resource shortage. Source: AP/PA

The Indian Navy (IN) is seeking INR160 billion (USD2.66 billion) over the next 2-3 years from the newly-elected Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government to resume construction of the Project 71 indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC).

Official sources told IHS Jane's that the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, is expected to imminently clear a "significant portion" of the IN's financial demand to revive work on Phases II and III of the 40,000-tonne IAC at the Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) yard at Kochi in southern India.

The carrier was launched and named Vikrant in August 2013, with senior Naval Design Bureau (NDB) sources saying that 75% of the carrier's structure was complete. However, work on the carrier has virtually come to a standstill in recent months due to a resource crunch. This includes modular construction work and the installation of radar, sensors, and weapon systems.

Senior officials said the new CCS would require clearances from the Indian Ministry of Defence (MoD) and the federal Finance Ministry to approve the funds. The CCS of the outgoing Congress Party-led federal coalition had secured both of these approvals earlier in 2014 but failed to implement them - resulting in the near-suspension of work.

IN officials also warned that further delays in sanctioning additional funding for the IAC could delay its commissioning beyond its already extended 2017-18 deadline.

Three quarters of the basic structure of the IAC has been completed at an estimated cost of INR35-40 billion. The carrier is eventually expected to cost between INR240-250 billion.

IN Chief of Staff Admiral D K Joshi told IHS Jane's in January 2013 that work on the IAC had been delayed due to financial and technological hurdles, and a traffic accident involving the truck transporting the carrier's generators.

India currently operates INS Vikramaditya (ex- Admiral Gorshkov ), a modified Kiev-class 44,750-tonne carrier that entered service in January, and INS Viraat (ex-HMS Hermes ), a 54-year-old 28,000-tonne Centaur-class platform that has locally undergone multiple refits.

Indian Navy asks BJP to fund next phase of indigenous carrier build - IHS Jane's 360

What is BJP... can they actually type something good? Or will that be communal to say that they are the government.

This is not even a professional way to write about it. It would be the same to say that US Navy would ask the Democrats for cash.

What a mess...
^^^ You are talking about Rahul Bedi who has no qualms throwing rubbish about India reporting. I have been reading his India specific reports since childhood and 90% of his writeups are more of appeasing the western reader than objective , honest reporting. He comes from the class of journalists who graduate only if they write something negative / sarcastic about India. Rahul Bedi is an epitome of that.

^^^ You are talking about Rahul Bedi who has no qualms throwing rubbish about India reporting. I have been reading his India specific reports since childhood and 90% of his writeups are more of appeasing the western reader than objective , honest reporting. He comes from the class of journalists who graduate only if they write something negative / sarcastic about India. Rahul Bedi is an epitome of that.

Thank you for the info!

This is not even a professional way to write about it. It would be the same to say that US Navy would ask the Democrats for cash.

What a mess...
Since you started the thread, you can (and IMO, should) change the title of the thread to IN asks govt to...

Altering the title is not usually encouraged, but since the reporter has himself put a stupid headline, you should change it. I mean, the title of this thread.

Since you started the thread, you can (and IMO, should) change the title of the thread to IN asks govt to...

Altering the title is not usually encouraged, but since the reporter has himself put a stupid headline, you should change it. I mean, the title of this thread.

I was thinking... I better keep this way so his stupidity become clear for everyone.
Anyway... Thank you for the advice.

BTW, I've made some comments on IHS Jane's site and I believe they didn't like since they deleted most of it.

LOL :rofl:

Last edited:
@atlssa - you are a Brazillian. How come an interest in Indian matters? Just curious to know. (Or are you a Brazindian?)

Is Jane's stupid?
Since when does the Indian Navy ask a political party for funds.

@atlssa - you are a Brazillian. How come an interest in Indian matters? Just curious to know. (Or are you a Brazindian?)

Yes, I'm Brazilian.
Well, first of all, we are BRICS partners and we should look for each other interests, but most off all I do really believe both of our countries have similar challenges to overcome. I could say I'm sympathetic with India cause.
I wish all the best for all of you!

Yes, I'm Brazilian.
Well, first of all, we are BRICS partners and we should look for each other interests, but most off all I do really believe both of our countries have similar challenges to overcome. I could say I'm sympathetic with India cause.
I wish all the best for all of you!

Thanks for your concern for India and its well-being. We reciprocate the same for Brazil & its people.

Yes, I'm Brazilian.
I wish all the best for all of you
Thanks for your concern for India and its well-being. We reciprocate the same for Brazil & its people.

You, too!

And What did rajnath singh say????? The follow up of this article's heading would be "RSS gives thumps up to BJP on releasing fund for Indigenous carrier"

On topic/ suddenly i am hearing lot of shortage in fund..... I seriously hope this is because of transfer phase of both the government.....

And What did rajnath singh say????? The follow up of this article's heading would be "RSS gives thumps up to BJP on releasing fund for Indigenous carrier"

On topic/ suddenly i am hearing lot of shortage in fund..... I seriously hope this is because of transfer phase of both the government.....

No wonder there was absolute silence on the aircraft carrier. When it was "launched" in the sea, our dragonland neighbors were chiding us . All went silent together with the tightlipped Indian establishment on dev. of this carrier POST launching.

(And before some Dragonlander and their protectorates come back about launch, let me make it clear that in shipping industry , when a hull is launched in water, it is technically, A LAUNCH. Further fittings are done later when the hull is alfoat. This helps clear the previously occupied slipways for other projects)

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom