What's new

Indian jet crash-Pilot killed

Lockheed F-16

Reaction score
BANGLORE: A pilot of an Indian Kiran trainer jet was killed in a crash on Wednesday morning near Bidar in Karnataka.

The pilot was a member of the Indian Air Force's crack aerobatic squadron, the Surya Kirans.

He was carrying out low-level aerobatics when the incident took place at about 9 am on Wednesday.

An inquiry has been ordered into the crash. The possibility of a bird hit has not been ruled out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The plane crashed while on an aerobatic maneuver! Surya Kirans are world Famous, just google it!

Lastly, Why do so many here, derive pleasure from seeing failure, poverty, death etc? Why? Isnt it Sadistic??? I mean it both for the Indians and Pakistanis who highlight each others failures, while downplays the Gains! WHY???

......After the failure of Brahmos another problem for India

Superfluous statement …:tsk:

Military jets hit the earth all the time in every airforce….Today IAF had it, tomorrow it can happen in PAF too....Its a tragic crash and I don’t think it’s an occasion to score points or get even with other members….

Kiran is around 50 years old now, any news or update that when is IAF planning to phase out this bird???

Last edited:
Superfluous statement …:tsk:

Military jets hit the earth all the time in every airforce….Its a tragic crash and I don’t it’s an occasion to score points or get even with other members….

Kiran is around 50 years old now, any news or update that when is IAF planning to phase out this bird???
no Idea Sir, but I have seen them in action, they are awesome. India has a penchant for antiques.

I have read somewhere nearly an year or so back about some other aircrafts being looked at to replace them or something. I dont remember much. Just vaguely remember it.

Sitara IJT(Intermediate Jet Trainer) has been developed by HAL. It will be the replacement for Kiran as the Stage 2 trainer.

It should have already replaced the Kiran but IAF wanted higher thrust in the IJT(ala LCA). Fortunately, there was an alternative,HAL decided to put in the Al-something engine in it which has a higher thrust, it is a mini version of the engine being used in the Su-30MKI.

It has been produced in LSP, there was a delay in getting the engines from Russia(nothing new) and so its behind schedule, it should however start getting inducted this year or the next.

well its sad news we lost well trained pilot he just moved to suyria kiran about 2 weeks ago, as per the case of Brahmos glitches will be worked out soon.

RIP to the pilot

but why do indians have such high crash rate in aerobatics?
they have also lost helicopters in air shows.

RIP to the pilot

but why do indians have such high crash rate in aerobatics?
they have also lost helicopters in air shows.
Indians have a world reputed Aerobatics team, Surya Kiran. There are many factors in a crash during aerobatics. Its dangerous. But our crash rate in Surya Kiran is not bad. Its one of the best out there!

BANGLORE: A pilot of an Indian Kiran trainer jet was killed in a crash on Wednesday morning near Bidar in Karnataka.

The pilot was a member of the Indian Air Force's crack aerobatic squadron, the Surya Kirans.

He was carrying out low-level aerobatics when the incident took place at about 9 am on Wednesday.

An inquiry has been ordered into the crash. The possibility of a bird hit has not been ruled out.

Tut! Tut! My condolences to the family. Aerial Aerobatics is a dangerous game altogether and these young men put their lives at risk every time they pull that stick back or forth! Our SHERDILS aerobatic team based in Risalpur also recently had an accident where a young pilot lost his orientation during a loop and rammed his bird full speed into the ground!

Such crahes have nothing to do with training, it simply bad luck!! :frown:

Condolences to the family. Almost every country that has an active Aerial Aerobatics team has suffered from a loss at one point. These daredevils deserve salutations.

If anyone's wondering what the aircraft looked like, here's a picture. (Correct me If I'm wrong)

Last edited:
That's not the Surya Kiran. The aircraft in the picture is the new IJT (Intermediate Jet Trainer), the planned replacement for the Surya Kiran.

That's not the Surya Kiran. The aircraft in the picture is the new IJT (Intermediate Jet Trainer), the planned replacement for the Surya Kiran.

Thanks. I had a doubt about that bird. The replacement sure looks great though!

I think Bezerk posted the right picture of Kiran.

The new IJT trainer you mentioned is perhaps this ...

fc8ffa80265db3478e8e2759dccb67ac.jpg

Back
Top Bottom