What's new

Indian Intelligence RAW runs for cover (Old Issue)

Crixus

Reaction score
Country
India
It was an angry wife seeking divorce that exposed the foreign origins of Dewanchand Malik in India's premier external intelligence agency, the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). It certainly makes for a curious Sherlock Holmes story but for the fact that it has serious and dangerous implications.

While it may not be a case of a foreign spy worming his way into the heart of the Indian intelligence system, it still reflects poorly on the agency's ability to spot fakes within its set-up. The fact that a Bangladesh-born Malik could enter RAW at a fairly responsible level — and stay there for years — exposes the fact that the intelligence agency is quite lax in checking the antecedents of its employees. It is only after the Malik exposure that RAW has added a further layer of security clearance.

What comes out of this story is also the over-reliance on affidavits signed by government employees which can be used to establish identity. Such attestations help in getting everything from ration cards to passports and, as seen in this case, jobs in secret agencies. What is required is independent and rigorous verification of the candidate's claims; this is where RAW did not come up to scratch.

The agency, once well-regarded, seems to be getting hit by scandals. Senior officers have been found to be double agents and in recent times, controversies over top level appointments have riven the agency. Though it is a secretive organisation and the efficacy of its 'product' remains unknown to laypersons, scandals like these will affect its reputation. The manner in which the Malik case was handled also raises questions. The response to Malik's wife's letter should not have been a manhunt for the absconder. Instead, he should have been assured that the domestic storm would not affect his job. Efforts should have been made to retain him with the agency before he was gradually marginalised. Instead, the old police practice of chasing a wrongdoer was set in motion. A tighter security clearance for future recruitments is the needed prescription. But there is also the need for a lateral approach to the problem of recruitment; international agencies now are going in for direct advertising of jobs, though the eventual selection remains a well-guarded secret.

Though the word put out is that there is no evidence about Malik disappearing with any secrets, an international agency would be happy to get hold of him. The secrets of the nation could, therefore, be compromised. RAW needs to clean up its stables and ensure that it doesn't get hit by any more revelations

http://intellibriefs.blogspot.ca/2007/06/indian-intelligence-raw-runs-for-cover.html

Anyone knows what happened to this Mole (Diwan Chand Mallick)

It was an angry wife seeking divorce that exposed the foreign origins of Dewanchand Malik in India's premier external intelligence agency, the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). It certainly makes for a curious Sherlock Holmes story but for the fact that it has serious and dangerous implications.

While it may not be a case of a foreign spy worming his way into the heart of the Indian intelligence system, it still reflects poorly on the agency's ability to spot fakes within its set-up. The fact that a Bangladesh-born Malik could enter RAW at a fairly responsible level — and stay there for years — exposes the fact that the intelligence agency is quite lax in checking the antecedents of its employees. It is only after the Malik exposure that RAW has added a further layer of security clearance.

What comes out of this story is also the over-reliance on affidavits signed by government employees which can be used to establish identity. Such attestations help in getting everything from ration cards to passports and, as seen in this case, jobs in secret agencies. What is required is independent and rigorous verification of the candidate's claims; this is where RAW did not come up to scratch.

The agency, once well-regarded, seems to be getting hit by scandals. Senior officers have been found to be double agents and in recent times, controversies over top level appointments have riven the agency. Though it is a secretive organisation and the efficacy of its 'product' remains unknown to laypersons, scandals like these will affect its reputation. The manner in which the Malik case was handled also raises questions. The response to Malik's wife's letter should not have been a manhunt for the absconder. Instead, he should have been assured that the domestic storm would not affect his job. Efforts should have been made to retain him with the agency before he was gradually marginalised. Instead, the old police practice of chasing a wrongdoer was set in motion. A tighter security clearance for future recruitments is the needed prescription. But there is also the need for a lateral approach to the problem of recruitment; international agencies now are going in for direct advertising of jobs, though the eventual selection remains a well-guarded secret.

Though the word put out is that there is no evidence about Malik disappearing with any secrets, an international agency would be happy to get hold of him. The secrets of the nation could, therefore, be compromised. RAW needs to clean up its stables and ensure that it doesn't get hit by any more revelations

http://intellibriefs.blogspot.ca/2007/06/indian-intelligence-raw-runs-for-cover.html

Anyone knows what happened to this Mole (Diwan Chand Mallick)
R&AW Is Dead horse Now Its Not really runs things Which It was used To do in Pakistan.Military took over 14 years Ago This Area from them

I can agee to some extent but how can a person conceal his identity and get recruited in ARC ... its most shocking thing .
R&AW Is Dead horse Now Its Not really runs things Which It was used To do in Pakistan.Military took over 14 years Ago This Area from them

I can agee to some extent but how can a person conceal his identity and get recruited in ARC ... its most shocking thing .
How Do you think Babus!!!.Let Me tell Secret All the Leaks you See are Actually Done by them.We Should Cut civilian Desk Job from are Premier Security Apparatus

Read this line
"What comes out of this story is also the over-reliance on affidavits signed by government employees which can be used to establish identity."

I Know this Because I Work in the System

I just raised this because mostly background checks are done by IB in such sensitive appointments , they are considered better then local police verification .

As we see there are lot of spy rings busted in the last 2 years its indicates IB is capable enough organization to handle counter intelligence . How such a big breach can happen .

I agree with you that attestation is a big lie , any one with bit tricky mind can easly fool the system , but befooling IB is shocking.

The best operation by RAW in last two years was the rescue of nurses from ISIS , I am sure IB and other intl agencies dont have reach upto Iraq.

How Do you think Babus!!!.Let Me tell Secret All the Leaks you See are Actually Done by them.We Should Cut civilian Desk Job from are Premier Security Apparatus

Read this line
"What comes out of this story is also the over-reliance on affidavits signed by government employees which can be used to establish identity."

I Know this Because I Work in the System

IB does the way it is suppose to,RAW was dead long back and i laugh when some pakistani says RAW agent caught i think is it still alive o_O
Military has its own inteligence branches ,IB and other are another
RAW was past let it forget ow and move on

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom