What's new

Indian Foreign Affairs News & Discussions (non-US & Pakistan related

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the link. I do not dislike the Ripoche because end of the day it was his decision in the fact he wanted to leave Tibet, so I don't have anything against him. He has to my knowledge not caused any harm to China so I can't really say he is a bad monk. However the link you showed me does not say how he was forced to leave China because of persecution. He left because he wanted to increase his education by meeting his teachers in India, although the Chinese forbade that which I think is wrong.

However BSF mate all the Ripoche are appointed by the Chinese it is tradition, so I don't see how that is wrong. Him leaving does not mean that the Chinese goverment is presecuting Tibeta people.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link. I do not dislike the Ripoche because end of the day it was his decision in the fact he wanted to leave Tibet, so I don't have anything against him. He has to my knowledge not caused any harm to China so I can't really say he is a bad monk. However the link you showed me does not say how he was forced to leave China because of persecution. He left because he wanted to increase his education by meeting his teachers in India, although the Chinese forbade that which I think is wrong.

I think he left china because he suddenly decided that he like Indian food better :LOL: Kidding.

Now why do you think China forbade him to leave Tibet ?
Why did he use the term "escape"?
If it was'nt the fear of persecution...what was it that made him "escape"?

However BSF mate all the Ripoche are appointed by the Chinese it is tradition, so I don't see how that is wrong. Him leaving does not mean that the Chinese goverment is presecuting Tibeta people.

How was the Dailai lama elected again?
Chinese people choosing and PRC choosing are two different things.
China was embarrassed when he escaped to India via Sikkim.

I don't know what you think ...but i want to tell you what i think.

The Riponche feared his life in Tibet and hence he escaped to India
He know Indians will let him stay and grant him refuge.

He does not want to say anything bad about china is because...Well lets face it he has not said anything good about china either...has he?

who were killed? where is your duty?indian media?

Riots Break Out in Western China Amid Ethnic Tension
Associated Press
A photograph taken by a local citizen showed protesters gathering in Urumqi, China, on Sunday.

Sign in to Recommend
Sign In to E-Mail
Print
Reprints
ShareClose
LinkedinDiggFacebookMixxMySpaceYahoo! BuzzPermalinkBy EDWARD WONG
Published: July 5, 2009
BEIJING — At least 1,000 rioters clashed with the police on Sunday in a regional capital in western China after days of rising tensions between Muslim Uighurs and Han Chinese, according to witnesses and photographs of the riot.

The rioting broke out Sunday afternoon in a large market area of Urumqi, the capital of the vast, restive desert region of Xinjiang, and lasted for several hours before riot police officers and paramilitary or military troops locked down the Uighur quarter of the city. The rioters threw stones at the police and set vehicles on fire, sending plumes of smoke into the sky, while police officers used firehoses and batons to beat back rioters and detain Uighurs who appeared to be leaders of the protest, witnesses said.

At least three Han Chinese were killed in the rioting and 20 people were injured, according to Xinhua, the official news agency. Dozens of Uighur men were led into nearby police stations with their hands behind their backs and shirts pulled over their heads, one witness said. Early Monday, the local government announced a curfew banning all traffic in the city until 8 p.m.

The riot was the largest ethnic clash in China since the Tibetan uprising of March 2008, and perhaps the biggest protest in Xinjiang in years. Like the Tibetan unrest, it highlighted the deep-seated frustrations felt by some ethnic minorities in western China over the policies of the Communist Party.

Many Uighurs, a Turkic-speaking Muslim group, resent rule by the Han Chinese, and Chinese security forces have tried to keep oil-rich Xinjiang under tight control since the 1990s, when cities there were struck by waves of protests, riots and bombings. Last summer, attacks on security forces took place in several cities in Xinjiang; the Chinese government blamed separatist groups.

Uighurs taking part in the riot on Sunday were furious over an ethnic brawl between Uighur and Han workers that broke out on June 26 in a toy factory in Guangdong and that resulted in the deaths of two Uighurs. A total of 116 people were injured. The police later arrested an ex-employee of the factory who had ignited the brawl by starting a rumor that six Uighur men had raped two Han women at the work site, Xinhua reported.

There was also a rumor going around on Sunday in Urumqi that a Han man had killed a Uighur earlier that day in the city, said Adam Grode, an English teacher and former Fulbright scholar living in the neighborhood where the rioting took place.

“This is just crazy,” Mr. Grode said in a telephone interview on Sunday night. “There was a lot of tear gas in the streets, and I almost couldn’t get back to my apartment. There’s a huge police presence.”

Rumors of Uighurs attacking Han Chinese spread quickly through parts of Urumqi, adding to the panic. A worker at Texas Restaurant, a few hundred yards from the site of the rioting, said her manager urged the restaurant workers to stay inside. “My boss went home in the evening and called us saying he had heard that Uighurs were beating Han Chinese, so we’d better stay in the restaurant,” said the worker, a woman who gave only her surname, Wang.

Xinhua reported few details of the riot on Sunday night. It said that “an unknown number of people gathered Sunday afternoon” in Urumqi, “attacking passers-by and setting fire to vehicles.”

Uighurs are the largest ethnic group in Xinjiang but are a minority in Urumqi, where Han Chinese make up more than 70 percent of the two million or so people. The Chinese government has encouraged Han migration to the city and other parts of Xinjiang, fueling resentment among the Uighurs. Urumqi is a deeply segregated city, with Han Chinese there rarely venturing into the Uighur quarter and often warning visitors to stay away from the area.

The Uighur neighborhood is centered in a warren of narrow alleyways, food markets and a large shopping area called the Grand Bazaar or the Erdaoqiao Market, where the rioting reached its peak on Sunday.

Mr. Grode, who lives in an apartment there, said he went outside when he first heard commotion around 6 p.m. He saw hundreds of Uighurs in the streets; that quickly swelled to more than 1,000, he said. When public buses stopped at the scene, Uighurs riding inside opened the windows and joined the crowd in shouting slogans.

Police officers soon arrived. Around 7 p.m., protesters began hurling rocks, vegetables and other goods from the market at the police, Mr. Grode said. Traffic had ground to a halt, and some rioters threw stones at bus windows.

An hour later, as the riot surged toward the center of the market, troops in green uniforms and full riot gear showed up, as did armored vehicles. Chinese government officials often deploy the People’s Armed Police, a paramilitary force, to quell riots. The troops shot off tear gas canisters and might have fired other projectiles too, Mr. Grode said.

By midnight, he said, some of the armored vehicles had begun to leave, but bursts of gunfire could still be heard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/06/world/asia/06china.html?_r=1&hp

Violence erupts in China's Xinjiang region; 2 killed
5 Jul 2009, 2016 hrs IST, AFP

Print Email Discuss Share Save Comment Text:

BEIJING: Police rushed on Sunday to restore order in the northwestern Chinese city of Urumqi where an unknown number of people attacked passers-by
and torched vehicles, state media reported.

The state news agency Xinhua said the violence erupted on Sunday afternoon in the capital of the restive Xinjiang Uighur autonomous region.

Xinjiang is home to about eight million Uighurs, a Turkic ethnic group, and many members of the mainly Muslim community say they have suffered political and religious persecution for decades.

A Uighur activist in Japan said 1,000 Chinese police confronted some 3,000 Uighur demonstrators in Urumqi, the capital of western Xinjiang region, on Sunday in a clash that left two people dead.

The head of the Japan Uighur Association, Ilham Mahmut, said that he had also heard that at least 300 people had been arrested, citing Internet communications from China.

"At 5pm local time about 3,000 Uighur people gathered in Urumqi and demonstrated and about 1,000 Chinese police confronted them, and I heard that two Uighur people are already dead," Mahmut said.

"The Chinese police tried to disband the demonstration and they used electric cattle prods and they fired guns into the air as warning shots. As we speak about 300 Uighur people have been already arrested and I've heard two people died because Chinese police used electric cattle prods."

He added that demonstrators were regrouping to continue their protest.

"About 400 people are trying to resume the demonstration," he said.

He said the tensions were sparked by a recent violent dispute at a toy factory between Chinese and Uighurs sparked by a rumour that Uighurs had abused a Chinese woman.
Violence erupts in China's Xinjiang region; 2 killed - China - World - The Times of India

Not sure what you mean by "India?freedom of press?show me ?"; perhaps if you elaborate I can answer the question(s).

Last edited:
skipping the endless argument with indian,waiting for something to happened

skipping the endless argument with indian,waiting for something to happened

If you insist in making laconic comments, please do it in correct english, otherwise is hard to understand what you mean.

sorry,google is totally unhelpful when i translate chinese into english

Not sure what you mean by "India?freedom of press?show me ?"; perhaps if you elaborate I can answer the question(s).

i think lots of chinese really pissed when US or india goverment and media used the "freedom or human right" as an excuse to defame china,it's a joke that US are still doing this after the world witnessed what happened in iraq and guantanamo,it's a joke when indian interest in china's story instead of india's feudal story .violence alway become the peaceful demonstrations in your mouth when it happened in china,if it's true ,you are doing the same “suppressing” work everyday as we did .typical double standard

i think lots of chinese really pissed when US or india goverment and media used the "freedom or human right" as an excuse to defame china,it's a joke that US are still doing this after the world witnessed what happened in iraq and guantanamo,it's a joke when indian interest in china's story instead of india's feudal story .violence alway become the peaceful demonstrations in your mouth when it happened in china,if it's true ,you are doing the same “suppressing” work everyday as we did .typical double standard

Look, I don't think you understand what we mean when we say "free press". Free press means that press is free to say anything as long as it is not intentionally defaming.
In practice, in lots of situations this means that they will write whatever news that will sell. If you go around looking for stories on "feudal history" as you call it, you'll find them from every year from 1947 to today. Similarly, if you look for negative or positive stories on China, you'll find them too.
I can't understand why the guy who started this thread picked up a story (which seems factual, BTW) and pointed it out as being not freedom of press. The same story appeared in Chinese media. What do you want American and Indian press to do ? Not report stories that are true because some random poster on PDF will feel bad?

This is almost like a reverse witch hunt. Chinese poster trawls through Indian/American media for negative stories on China and then on finding it posts it on another internet forum, publicizing it even more. And even worse, the same poster ends up looking bad when the story turns out to be true. Are you sure the original poster was really Chinese ? Or was he setting the Chinese posters up for ridicule ?

Look, I don't think you understand what we mean when we say "free press". Free press means that press is free to say anything as long as it is not intentionally defaming.

But it was intentionally defaming.
The author conveniently left out the identity of the victims, exposing his uninformed readers to a different conclusion.
And without it, it's not the same story.

your media is no way close to "free press" before you are willing to face the internal contradictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom