What's new

Indian Foreign Affairs News & Discussions (non-US & Pakistan related

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this thread, and can't stop my laugh... LOLZZZ

This is going to be the acid test for the Govt. Will it able to show it is really as secular as it claims to be or is it going to follow vote bank politics.

There is a lot of pressure being built up from fringe elements from the major religions in India. the GOI has to resist this pressure and take a decision based on the fundamental rights of the citizens. Any law that violates the fundamental rights will be challenged in the SC and will be struck down.

It is high time that the GOI shows that it has the guts to separate religion from the state, and takes the correct decision by striking down this discriminatory law.

Social Taboos will remain but we can't let Pandits, Mullahs and Priests deciding on our rights and on the way to live. Their job is to give spiritual guidance only, full stop nothing more than that.

BSF mate that is a very good question, did the Riponche who escaped to India, did he give a reason why he left Tibet. Because I can't find any articles on that, could you provide me a link on that please. Also the other reason why I don't like the Dalai Lama is because he goes against the scriptures of Buddhisms. The guy eats meat, if he really believed in Buddha then he should place his trust in him not Doctors. The second reason I don't like him is because of the Dorje Shugden issue. He moans about how the Chinese are changing Tibetan culture, but yet he bans the practise of the Dorje Shugden which has been in use in Tibet for 350 years.

However you do know that traditionally the Riponche was chosen by the Chinese emperor who gave his decision on who was appoinnted as the Riponche. That only came into to question when the 13th Dalai Lama and the 14th started the idea of a independant Tibet. Look at it realistically if Tibet was given Independence the Dalai Lama would gain the most, in terms of power. If you read that link that I gave it shows the Dalai Lama had 6000 serfs under him, is that a sign of a good monk, not in my book. The Dalai Lama is old if he really once to solve this problem, he should go back to Tibet and speak to the Chinese, on the treatment of Tibetans, and make a comprimise where both parties would be happy.

Were you and me there to watch it ? Is there a video on U tube to confirm it ? What happens if the people on earth are wiped out and 1000 years later a new generation finds a book of Harry Potter ? Will that be reality

well you have a brain right...that is filled up with thought.... conscious and subconscious right....now i haven't ever seen it...so am i supposed to believe that you have no brain or logical thought??

Heaven in Islam has " handsome boys serving non-alcoholic drinks" but you will deny it.

Heaven will also have women who were good human beings on earth and they will also be happy to be served non-alcoholic drinks by handsome boys.

However you do know that traditionally the Riponche was chosen by the Chinese emperor who gave his decision on who was appoinnted as the Riponche. That only came into to question when the 13th Dalai Lama and the 14th started the idea of a independant Tibet. Look at it realistically if Tibet was given Independence the Dalai Lama would gain the most, in terms of power. If you read that link that I gave it shows the Dalai Lama had 6000 serfs under him, is that a sign of a good monk, not in my book. The Dalai Lama is old if he really once to solve this problem, he should go back to Tibet and speak to the Chinese, on the treatment of Tibetans, and make a comprimise where both parties would be happy.

Well I do understand that you do not like dailai lama.I have no issues with that.

Do you like Ripoche?

How he escaped to India

Please keep in mind that he was appointed by the PRC.
“On December 28, 1999, under the cover of a dark night, my senior attendant and I escaped from my monastery in Tibet and fled to India to seek refuge. The decision to leave my homeland, monastery, monks, parents, family, and the Tibetan people was entirely my own--no one told me to go and no one asked me to come. I left my country to impart the Buddha's teachings in general and, in particular, to receive the excellent empowerments, transmissions, and instructions of my own Karma Kagyu tradition. These I could only receive from the main disciples of the previous Karmapa, Situ Rinpoche and Gyaltsap Rinpoche, who were predicted to be my teachers and who reside in India

Sat, Jul 4

Mumbai, July 4 (IANS) In the aftermath of the 26/11 terror attacks in Mumbai, the Indian Merchants Chamber (IMC) plans to install 50,000 'electronic eyes' to monitor the city as part of a unique security blanket for the country's commercial capital, an official said here Saturday.

A preliminary report on the proposed Rs.5 billion project has already been prepared and submitted to Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok S. Chavan Friday, according to IMC Chief Adviser P.N. Mogre.

'The chief minister was highly impressed by the project and has called for implementing it on war-footing. We are hopeful that the project should get underway after monsoon, or by Diwali,' Mogre told IANS.

To begin with, the plan envisages installing 5,000 closed circuit television cameras (CCTVs) all over Mumbai, comprising nearly 2,250 km of roads.

The remaining about 45,000 CCTV cameras would be installed at strategic locations in various phases, he said.

Apart from keeping an eye on the city round the clock, the project would have multiple advantages for other concerned agencies like the police and civic bodies, Mogre said.

Chavan, who watched a presentation on the proposal along with Home Minister Jayant Patil, top civil and police officials, immediately set up an eight-member committee to fine-tune the project, examine its financial viability and related issues.

He has asked the committee to submit its report within a fortnight, according to Mogre.

The meeting agreed that the proposal would not only help minimise the recurrence of events like 26/11 terror attacks, but they could also be used to enhance the efficiency of traffic flow throughout the city, keep track of criminal activities or major emergencies.

'If select video feed from such cameras were shared with the city's public on a subscription basis, it could be used over time to recover the huge infrastructure costs of the project,' Mogre added.

Explaining the features of the project, he said that initially up to 5,000 cameras would be installed on street light poles or other suitable mounts around the city.

These would be connected to a Central Data Centre with fibre-optic cables for receiving the video feeds round the clock.

Besides, independent agencies would have their own command and control centres, which would be funded as part of the main project and continuously monitor their requirements.

In order to recover costs, the IMC plans to sell video feeds with the citizens as subscribers (mainly traffic-related feeds), insurance companies, TV channels, other concerned agencies to generate revenue and reduce dependence on capital infusion, estimated at Rs.1 billion, every few years.

On its part, the official authorities could help by using these traffic feeds to impose fines on people for traffic violations, the proceeds of which could be shared with IMC, Mogre said.

He said that among the aspects that the committee could examine would be placing similar cameras on the entire fleet of BEST public buses, the 300 trains that ply on the Mumbai suburban railway network, and the 100 railway stations in the city.

50,000 CCTVs to keep eye on security in Mumbai - Yahoo! India News

Finally the govt has woken up to the demands of good homeland security. :tup: Let s hope this encourages other state govts to take similar steps! :agree:

why only mumbai...we need this kind of security enhancement all over India.

why only mumbai...we need this kind of security enhancement all over India.

In a Utopian India, yes we do. But for want of time & money now, it makes sense to first implement it in the places which are most vulnerable & prone to terrorist attacks. Good to start from Mumbai.

Big Brother is watching you!!:smokin:

George Orwell warned about this

Heaven will also have women who were good human beings on earth and they will also be happy to be served non-alcoholic drinks by handsome boys.

I that case I hope like heck that, if I do get to heaven which seems unlikely, I go to the men's section.

* Ex-IB joint director blames ‘harsh interrogation techniques’ in illegal detention centres for fanning militancy in Indian Punjab, IHK​

NEW DELHI: The United States may have been forced to close the Guantanamo Bay detention centre but India runs 40 such “illegal” secret chambers across the country, one of India’s leading magazine revealed in its forthcoming issue.

An early copy of The Week obtained by Daily Times reveals the horror of the torture chambers, where suspects were subjected to extreme interrogation techniques for years. “I could never again dream of doing the things I did when I was in charge,” said Maloy Krishna Dhar, former joint director of the Intelligence Bureau (IB), while admitting to the existence of such centres. Top police officers also told the journal that these chambers were their “assets”. “They are our own little Guantanamos,” they said.

Quoting KS Subramanian, former director general of police, who has also served in the IB, it said these sites existed and were being used to detain and interrogate suspected terrorists and have been operating for a long time. Dhar admitted that these centres fanned militancy in Indian Punjab and IHK. The magazine’s investigating team has identified 15 such centres – three each in Mumbai, New Delhi, Gujarat and Indian-held Kashmir (IHK), two in Kolkata and one in Assam. But officials claim the number could be around 40.

Torture: An officer who had worked in one of the detention centres admitted extreme physical and mental torture, based loosely on the Guantanamo model, was used to extract information from detainees. It included an assault on the senses and sleep deprivation, keeping the prisoners naked, and forcibly administering drugs through the rectum. “In extreme cases we use pethidine injections. It makes a person crazy.” The Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) questioned Saeed Khan (name changed), one of the accused in the Malegaon blasts of September 2006, held at the Aarey Colony facility in Goregaon, the biggest of the three detention centres in Mumbai. He was served food at irregular intervals (leading to temporary disorientation) and was denied sleep.

Parvez Ahmed Radoo, 30, of Baramulla district in IHK, a student at Pune University, was illegally detained in New Delhi for over a month for allegedly plotting mass murder in the capital on behalf of the Jaish-e-Muhammad. Radoo wrote an open letter from the Tihar jail, where he is currently held, saying he was arrested from the airport on September 12 and kept in custody for a month. Apparently, he was first taken to the Lodhi Colony police station and then to an apartment in the Dwarka locality in southwest New Delhi where electrodes were attached to his genitals. Dhar says such detention and torture centres were an inevitable part of the war on terrorism. Security agencies needed such facilities. Molvi Iqbal from Uttar Pradesh, a suspected member of the Harkatul Jihad-e-Islami, currently lodged in Tihar, was held at a secret detention centre for two months, according to his relatives. They alleged that a chip was implanted in his body to track his movements. “He fears that the chip is still inside his skin,” said one of his relatives. “That has shattered him.”

The most recent victim of torture was Manzoor Ahmed Baig, 40, who was picked up by the Special Operations Group from the Alucha Bagh area in Srinagar on May 18. His family alleged that he was chained, hung upside down and ruthlessly beaten up. He died that night. Following public outrage, the officer in charge of the camp was dismissed from service in June. Subramanian says agencies such as the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) and the IB, and not the Home Ministry, directly handled such operations. He, however, called for increased public awareness about such activities and believed it could help check such illegalities.

By Mark Deen and Isabelle Mas

July 4 (Bloomberg) -- Suresh Tendulkar, an economic adviser to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, said he is urging the government to diversify its $264.6 billion foreign-exchange reserves and hold fewer dollars.

“The major part of Indian reserves is in dollars -- that is something that’s a problem for us,” Tendulkar, chairman of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council, said in an interview yesterday in Aix-en-Provence, France, where he was attending an economic conference.

Singh is preparing to join leaders from the Group of Eight industrialized nations -- the U.S., Japan, Germany, Britain, France, Italy, Canada and Russia -- at a summit in Italy next week which is due to tackle the global economy. China and Brazil will also send representatives to the summit.

As the talks have neared, China and Russia have stepped up calls for a rethink of how global currency reserves are composed and managed, underlining a power shift to emerging markets from the developed nations that spawned the financial crisis.

“There should be a system to maintain the stability of the major reserve currencies,” Former Chinese Vice Premier Zeng Peiyan said in a speech in Beijing yesterday, highlighting China’s concerns about a global financial system dominated by the dollar.

Fiscal and current-account deficits must be supervised as “your currency is likely to become my problem,” said Zeng, who is now the head of a research center under the government’s top economic planning agency. The People’s Bank of China said June 26 that the International Monetary Fund should manage more of members’ reserves.

Russian Proposals

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has repeatedly called for creating a mix of regional reserve currencies as part of the drive to address the global financial crisis, while questioning the dollar’s future as a global reserve currency. Russia’s proposals for the Group of 20 major developed and developing nations summit in London in April included the creation of a supranational currency.

“We will resume” talks on the supranational currency proposal at the G-8 summit in L’Aquila on July 8-10, Medvedev aide Sergei Prikhodko told reporters in Moscow yesterday.

Singh adviser Tendulkar said that big dollar holders face a “prisoner’s dilemma” in terms of managing their holdings. “That’s why I’m telling them to do this,” he said.

He also said that world currencies need to adjust to help unwind trade imbalances that have contributed to the global financial crisis.

“The major imbalances which led to the current situation, the current account surpluses and deficits, have to be addressed,” he said. “Currency adjustment is one thing that suggests itself.”

Emerging-Market Dependence

For all the complaints about the dollar, emerging markets such as India remain dependent on the currency of the U.S., the world’s largest economy and a $2.5 trillion export market. The IMF said June 30 that the share of dollars in global foreign- exchange reserves increased to 65 percent in the first three months of this year, the highest since 2007.

Tendulkar said that the matter needs to be taken up in international talks, and that it emphasizes the need for those talks to go beyond the traditional G-8.

“They can meet if they want to,” he said. “The G-20 has a wider role, has representation of the countries that are likely to lead the recovery process.”

India Joins Russia, China in Questioning U.S. Dollar Dominance - Bloomberg.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom