What's new

Indian forces are driving 'educated' Kashmiri youth to militancy.

I was making a point about the resources there. And I don't read off Pakistani's on this forum. It's well known there is tourism in Kashmir. Nobody is disputing that.

You had mentioned that, GoI is looting resources and investing and making Kashmiris pay, not true.
You had mentioned that economy is surviving on local economics. Again, like I said not true. The J&K bank is also a listed company in the BSE and NSE. 10 years back and today, there is a lot of difference in the economics of the place.

Be detailed in your answer and the points you raise, else we would think you are simply trolling.
The only reason Indians are giving detailed answers is because we presume you donot know the whole story of Kashmir.

Let them use their own water as they wish. I'm open to hearing from both sides. However, the consistent reality is that the people seek their independence and India wants to exercise control of Kashmir.

Which exactly supports my point I made earlier in this thread. India exercises control over Kashmir which doesn't make it independent. IE. NH-1.

You must be referring to the hindu majority province in Kashmir.

You make a fundamental error in comparing Kashmir with Palestine.India, unlike Israel treats Kashmir & its people as part of its country & the people have the same rights that everyone else enjoys. There is no difference in the right that a Kashmiri has to what anyone else has. That is not the case in Palestine, hence not comparable.

Let them use their own water as they wish. I'm open to hearing from both sides. However, the consistent reality is that the people seek their independence and India wants to exercise control of Kashmir.
Again, what do you mean let them use their own water as they wish.
They DO use the water there as they wish in Kashmir.

You had mentioned that, GoI is looting resources and investing and making Kashmiris pay, not true.
You had mentioned that economy is surviving on local economics. Again, like I said not true. The J&K bank is also a listed company in the BSE and NSE. 10 years back and today, there is a lot of difference in the economics of the place.

Appreciate the info. Would also like to hear from Kashmiris on this.

@DESERT FIGHTER @Armstrong @AUz

Again, what do you mean let them use their own water as they wish.
They DO use the water there as they wish in Kashmir.

Pretty much dictated by Indian and Pakistan. If I'm correct about the 1960 treaty.

People may seek independence, countries generally don't allow for it (US vs State of Texas) & routinely have fought civil wars. That is not the same as being treated differetly from its citizens

I didn't understand your reference to water. The IWT is actually opposed by many Kashmiris because it gives Pakistan more water than the Kashmiris would wish. If allowed, they would use more water than give it to the Pakistanis.

You make a fundamental error in comparing Kashmir with Palestine.India, unlike Israel treats Kashmir & its people as part of its country & the people have the same rights that everyone else enjoys. There is no difference in the right that a Kashmiri has to what anyone else has. That is not the case in Palestine, hence not comparable.

You can draw parallels between the two. Although I agree they differ fundamentally in some areas, yet share some similar aspects.

You can draw parallels between the two. Although I agree they differ fundamentally in some areas, yet share some similar aspects.

You could draw parallels anywhere I suppose holding on to some point or the other. That would still not be logically driven.

People may seek independence, countries generally don't allow for it (US vs State of Texas) & routinely have fought civil wars. That is not the same as being treated differetly from its citizens

I didn't understand your reference to water. The IWT is actually opposed by many Kashmiris because it gives Pakistan more water than the Kashmiris would wish. If allowed, they would use more water than give it to the Pakistanis.

The thing is this derived from a post colonial Britain scenario. I'm assuming India fears if they become independent they would favor mostly a cooperative policy with Pakistan which would allow Pakistan access to some resources. Or how do you see that?

The thing is this derived from a post colonial Britain scenario. I'm assuming India fears if they become independent they would favor mostly a cooperative policy with Pakistan which would allow Pakistan access to some resources. Or how do you see that?

That's not particularly relevant. India would never agree to their independence now. Almost all Indians see Kashmir as part of the country & will never agree for any secession. The best that can happen is more autonomy & the like but even that is a hard sell. This is not about what they might do if they became independent, it is about people of the country feeling strongly about the unity & integrity of the Indian state which includes Kashmir.

It is nothing to do with what India fears. It is Indian territory and the debate, as far as India is concerned, ends there.

That's not particularly relevant. India would never agree to their independence now. Almost all Indians see Kashmir as part of the country & will never agree for any secession. The best that can happen is more autonomy & the like but even that is a hard sell. This is not about what they might do if they became independent, it is about people of the country feeling strongly about the unity & integrity of the Indian state which includes Kashmir.

I see what you mean, although I disagree with that in a way. Which I'll discuss with you next time. I need to go now, thanks for the explanation on that.

I see what you mean, although I disagree with that in a way. Which I'll discuss with you next time. I need to go now, thanks for the explanation on that.

I think you need to understand how Indian federal system works. Few very important areas such as defense, telecom, foreign affairs etc which is handled by centre govt. Everything else including law and order, other laws etc is handled by the elected govt. of each state in India. So you have the 'Independence' in every matter as a 'common man'.

Back
Top Bottom