How is the plan?

• Good

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Average

Votes: 53 20.3%
  • Poor

Votes: 47 18.0%

• Total voters
If we just take only recognizing alphabet I am pretty sure the literacy rate will hit more than 75%.

According to the best available data, it won't. But hey, if it makes you happy, I'll give you 100%. What's 25% between friends :-)

I don't think fighting about Bangladeshi numbers will add anything in a thread about Indian States. Could you please stop Bangladesh vs India on this thread and another thread on that ? Pretty please with sugar on top ?

According to the best available data, it won't. But hey, if it makes you happy, I'll give you 100%. What's 25% between friends :-)

I don't think fighting about Bangladeshi numbers will add anything in a thread about Indian States. Could you please stop Bangladesh vs India on this thread and another thread on that ? Pretty please with sugar on top ?

Well I did not start it. I just asked the definition of literacy in India and seemed to me people just jumped into it and throwing all kinds of data comparing India/Pak/Bangladesh only to show India great. So I was forced to show that you have to compare apple to apple not apple to orange.
Anyways great going India hope you guys best in this field where India lacked most.

Well I did not start it. I just asked the definition of literacy in India and seemed to me people just jumped into it and throwing all kinds of data comparing India/Pak/Bangladesh only to show India great. So I was forced to show that you have to compare apple to apple not apple to orange.
Anyways great going India hope you guys best in this field where India lacked most.

All right !(smarty pants). There is no country wise definitions for literacy, it has a universal definition which you can find it easily on the internet. Better get into conversation with some knowledge, just posting comments to prove something you are not didn't get you anywhere.

All right !(smarty pants). There is no country wise definitions for literacy, it has a universal definition which you can find it easily on the internet. Better get into conversation with some knowledge, just posting comments to prove something you are not didn't get you anywhere.

What constitutes literacy
Literacy as defined by UNESCO is given below. [7]

1. A literate person is one who can with understanding both read and write a short simple statement relevant to his everyday life.
2. Literacy is not the simple reading of a word or a set of associated symbols and sounds, but an act of critical understanding of men's situation in the world.
3. Literacy is not an end in itself but a means of personal liberation and development and extending individuals educational efforts involving overall inter-disciplinary responses to concrete problems
4. A literate person is one who has acquired all the essential knowledge and skills which enable him to engage in all those activities in which literacy is required for effective functioning in his group and community and whose attaining in reading, writing and numeracy make it possible to use these skills towards his own and his community's development.
The National Literacy Mission defines literacy as acquiring the skills of reading, writing and arithmetic and the ability to apply them to one's day-to-day life. The achievement of functional literacy implies:

Self-reliance in 3 R's
Becoming aware of the causes of deprivation and moving towards amelioration of their condition by participating in the process of development
Acquiring skills to improve their economic status and general well being
Imbibing values of national integration, conservation of environment, women's equality, observance of small family norms, etc.

The working definition of literacy in the Indian census since 1991 is as follows:[8]
"Literacy rate":
The total percentage of the population of an area at a particular time aged seven years or above who can read and write with understanding. Here the denominator is the population aged seven years or more.

"Crude literacy rate":
The total percentage of the people of an area at a particular time aged seven years or above who can read and write with understanding, taking the total population of the area (including below seven years of age) as the denominator.

Literacy in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this is my last post in this thread, sorry Wtf for corrupting with more posting but I was compelled by another hostile attack...

Don?t award BSNL deal to Huawei: IB- Telecom-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

NEW DELHI: The Intelligence Bureau (IB) and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) has said that state-owned telco BSNL should not award telecom equipment
contracts to Chinese equipment majors Huawei and ZTE in the interest of national security.

Both the IB and the defence ministry’s reactions are in the wake of BSNL’s move to shortlist Huawei (along with Swedish equipment major Ericsson) for its mega 93-million-line GSM expansion project worth around Rs 30,000 crore. This is the single largest telecom contract in the world. Ericsson was short-listed as the lowest bidder for North and East zones of India while Huawei was selected for West, East and South zones.

The views of the IB and the defence ministry were conveyed to BSNL in a meeting with the telco on April 9. In fact, during the meet, both BSNL and the Department of Telecom (DoT) suggested that Huawei could be awarded the contract in south India since the region did not share sensitive borders with countries such as Pakistan, China and Bangladesh. Besides, DoT further argued, Huawei was already working with BSNL in south India.

As per the minutes of this meeting, a copy of which is available with ET. The IB added that the BSNL should not award contracts to Chinese companies, as these companies are known to have links with the Chinese state and security apparatus.

Huawei's fate in $6 billion BSNL tender to be decided by Home ministry

Fate of Huawei in the $6 billion GSM tender of the government-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) hangs in balance. The home ministry has set up a high level inter-ministerial committee to look into the alleged threat to national security by use of Chinese equipment in the network of BSNL.

DoT secretary Siddharth Behura has said that the company would give orders to Huawei only after it gets clearance from the committee.

Earlier, the intelligence agencies had expressed its concern over the use of the equipment of Huawei by BSNL. Intelligence agencies have in the past alleged that Huawei has links with the Chinese army. British Intelligence agencies also expressed similar views recently.

As reported by Telecomtiger earlier, Huawei is the only qualified bidder in two out of five zones in a BSNL tender of 92 million lines. This is the single largest GSM tender in the world with an expected value of about $ 6 billion.

Huawei has technically qualified for West, East and South zones. Swedish major Ericsson has qualified for North and East zones, said sources.

Being the only technically qualified bidder in the West and the South zones, Huawei could have got orders from BSNL under normal circumstances. In the Eastern zone, it would compete with the Ericsson and the lowest bidder would get the order.

Yeah they are already working in South India, many of my friends are in it. Yes i think any companies from a neighboring countries should not be awarded contracts to install such sensitive communication network in india..!!!!

4 injured in Chinese-locals clash - Ranchi - Cities - The Times of India
13 May 2009, 0006 hrs IST, Divy Khare, TNN

BOKARO: At least four people, including a Chinese man were injured in a clash between Chinese workers and local labourers, all workers of
Electrosteel Integrated Limited (EIL), at the construction site of the company at Seyaljori in Bangaria, Chandnakyari on Tuesday. The injured Chinto Singh, Haren Hajra, Tanj and others were admitted to K M Memorial Hospital at Chas. Their condition is stated to be stable.

Sources said hundreds of Chinese workers came out of the company premises carrying iron rods and sticks and chased local workers away.

Later, in a gesture of protest against the Chinese, local workers came on streets and damaged about six vehicles including trucks of EIL. The local political leaders of various parties staged dharna on Telgaria road at Bandhdih, around 3 kms from the company, demanding the Chinese workers be sent back to their country. Traffic remained disrupted in the area the whole day.

EIL steel major is setting up a steel plant with a production capacity of over 3.2 million tonne here. The project is still under construction. Initially, EIL management hired about 400 technicians and labours from China and 1200 local labourers. There are special camps constructed for Chinese staff inside the company premises where they reside.

The clash between Chinese and locals has sparked tension in the area. District administration has deployed forces to keep control over the situation. The work at the company site has been stopped by the administration till peace is restored.

According to EIL public relation officer C P Pandey, Chinese workers are more hardworking than the locals. The local workers always try to escape hard work that the Chinese always resist. This always results in problems between them.

Pandey said the tension began after three local labours, who stopped coming to work since a week ago without notice, suddenly appeared on Monday and asked their Chinese senior to hire them again. He refused and told them he has kept new labours in their place. This got them angry and they tried to hit him, :woot: but security guards interfered on time and separated them.

The trio came again on Tuesday with more locals and created a brawl with the Chinese senior. In retaliation, hundreds of Chinese workers came out and launched attack on the locals, said Pandey. "We are trying to sort out the matter soon," he added.

Police finally brought the situation under control. The senior administrative officials headed by city magistrate Manoj Jaiswal with police and EIL officials held a meeting at the company premises. in the presence of both the Chinese workers and the locals.

Jaiswal said proper legal action will be taken against both groups once a report gets lodged with the police station. "The locals are demanding that the Chinese be sent away from here. To maintain law and order in this area, we are going to bring the situation and the demand before the state government," said Jaiwal.

--------

Looks like the Chinese senior badly in need of understanding Indian culture...

this is the way chinese ppl instruct china
do ur best or get out of the company
it seems disobey the human rights the labor rights
hardly to say who is right or wrong
depend on which side u stand with

With lack of employment opportunities the locals must be worked up seeing the Chinese workers. Some people believe that locals should be employed and not people from even other parts of India.

This is a sensitive topic and Indian companies employing foreign labour will have to very carefull.

However there is another opposite story where China Light and Power is constructing a Power Plant in interior Haryana and there the Chinese workmen and engineers have very good relation with the local villagers.

Will try to find this link.

With lack of employment opportunities the locals must be worked up seeing the Chinese workers. Some people believe that locals should be employed and not people from even other parts of India.

This is a sensitive topic and Indian companies employing foreign labour will have to very carefull.

However there is another opposite story where China Light and Power is constructing a Power Plant in interior Haryana and there the Chinese workmen and engineers have very good relation with the local villagers.

Will try to find this link.

u may be rit but not in this case. if these ppl were so sensitive then shouldnt they be comin to work??

there is no doubt that chinease ppl work hard. i have seen them working in islamabad. while chinease work, pakistani workers spend their day drinkin tea.

This is what that puzzles: if they treasure the employment opportunity, why they ditch it without notice in the first place. Their behavior, in our common sense, tells the boss that they no longer care the position.

Is the local custom like that, as we know India is vast and varied?

Looks like not all is well in the land of milk and honey.

Back
Top Bottom