What's new

Indian deputy consul general arrested in US on visa fraud charges

The American people in general are very, very ignorant about India. Their opinions are based hugely on documentaries showing the dark and undeveloped India with the occasional "Slumdog Millionaire" and the royals of Rajasthan. So for these people, Sangeeta Richards is the poor, hungry maid and Dr. Khobragade is the rich and spoilt employer. How many of these Americans know that Dr. Khobragade cannot pay the maid the minimum wages because she herself barely earns it?

than why sign the paper telling she would pay?....if you can't afford a maid..don't have one.

Nobody from any consulate pays according to your rates. It's just that they have different service rules where they are employed by their respective Governments for a fixed period of time, hence they fall in a different visa category. Unfortunately, Indian Govt. follows outdated system for hiring maids making consulate officers vulnerable like in this case. In fact, after the Neena Malhotra case, The MEA had submitted a proposal and which was not then accepted by the Ministry of Finance regarding changing of the service rules. Thankfully the Khobragade case was an eyeopener for them.

We don't kow-tow because we can handle ourselves. India is not as strong as China so you don't have that luxury. I'm talking about 3rd world countries like India. India has no choice but to obey America because you don't have the power or will to resist.

China is Zero world country, one higher than USA. Zero world is a delusional world ...... :lol:.

Proud of you India. Chhodna nahin. Pakde Rehna. :D

Hey Chinese. Why dont you go and lick American Balls rather than teaching India. You can better take ur jealousy filled suggestion and shove up ur ***. Stay out of Indian threads if u cant contribute positively.

:lol:

lol you're a funny guy and I do like fighting with you.

Well ....... I will give a chance, after the fight you will know with whom you are messing with :azn:.

I can make you from this :flame: to this :rolleyes: .........:azn:

Well ....... I will give a chance, after the fight you will know with whom you are messing with :azn:.

I can make you from this :flame: to this :rolleyes: .........:azn:

lol dude you keep me entertained on this forum with your nonsense.

India got the Posiden and C-17 from US lol now its thrown them under the bus sadly

thrown_under_the_bus.jpg

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United Nations has approved a request from India to accredit a New York-based diplomat at the center of a dispute after her arrest by U.S. authorities on criminal charges including visa fraud, a U.N. official said on Monday.

Indian media said the request to transfer Devyani Khobragade, who was deputy consul-general in New York, to the United Nations was aimed at ending the stand-off with the United States in the hopes that her new diplomatic status could allow New Delhi to bring her home without the prosecution proceeding.

"The U.N. has processed the request to register Ms. Khobragade as a member of the Permanent Mission of India to the U.N.," a U.N. source said on condition of anonymity. "However, the final stop in the process is the U.S. (State Department)."

U.S. officials were not immediately available for comment.

Khobragade's arrest on December 12 has enraged India, which is demanding that all charges be dropped against her. On the day of her arrest, she was strip searched. The arresting authority, the U.S. Marshals Service, said Khobragade's strip search was a routine procedure imposed on any new arrestee at the federal courthouse.

Khobragade pleaded not guilty to charges of visa fraud and making false statements about how much she paid her housekeeper. She was released on $250,000 bail.

As India's deputy consul general in New York, she had only limited diplomatic immunity from prosecution.

Diplomatic sources said that the broader immunity Khobragade would receive as a U.N.-accredited diplomat could make it harder to follow through on a prosecution against her.

One possible scenario to solve the crisis would be that she receives full diplomatic immunity in her U.N. post if the State Department approves her transfer. The U.S. government would then ask for her immunity to be removed so she can face prosecution. Assuming India refused, the State Department could then take steps to have her removed from the country.

Asoke Mukerji, India's ambassador to the United Nations, wrote last week to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon informing him of the 39-year-old diplomat's planned transfer to the U.N. mission from the Indian consulate.

In an unusual move, the United States has flown the family of the housekeeper, Sangeeta Richard, out of India. Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara has said attempts were made in India to "silence" Richard and compel her to return home.

A spokeswoman for Bharara declined to comment on Monday on the U.N. approval of Khobragade's transfer to the U.N. mission.

U.N. approves India's request to accredit diplomat charged by U.S. - Yahoo News

She will come to India and then face charges against her.

Back
Top Bottom