Indian dentist in US tries to extract 20 teeth at once, kills patient

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PTI | May 23, 2014, 06.14 PM IST

NEW YORK: The license of an Indian dentist was revoked in the US after he attempted to extract 20 teeth from the mouth of a 64-year-old woman in one sitting which led to her death.

The dentist, Dr Rashmi Patel was performing the procedure on Judith Gan on February 17 when she gurgled and lost consciousness.

The procedure included placing implants in the woman's mouth after removing the teeth, according to the New York Daily News.

The paper quoted Patel's assistant as saying that he had requested him to stop the procedure before calling the emergency services.

"He wanted to complete the placement of implants as the assistant begged Patel to stop working, and finally ran out and called 911, but the patient had already flat-lined," the state department of public health wrote in a report.

"The four count petition found, among an array of other misdeeds, that Patel deviated from standard of care in that he did not timely and properly respond to Gan's oxygen desaturation and/or respiratory distress and/or cardio-pulmonary distress," state records reported.

"Gan did not have to die to receive this dental treatment and it is because of Patel's negligence that she died," said a dentist who was asked to review the case for the department of health.

Patel's license, issued in 2003, was suspended on April 21 pending a June 18 hearing in front of the state dental commission. Patel runs two clinics in Enfield and Torrington.

"Patel has been ordered to stay away from his patients after one died and another spent six days in the hospital," state health officials said.

The horror of Gan's botched procedure came after a December incident, when a 55-year-old man "aspirated the throat pack" and was rushed to the hospital. The victim stopped breathing and spent six days in the hospital after suffering heart and lung damage.

Patel was also sued for malpractice by a former employee in 2009 after he performed "shoddy" dental work. Doreen Jasonis won nearly $500,000 from a jury in 2011, but the ruling was appealed and eventually ended with an out-of-court settlement.

The dentist's attorney says both clinics remain open and that Patel will fight the charges.

Indian dentist in US tries to extract 20 teeth at once, kills patient - The Times of India

Patel's license, issued in 2003, was suspended on April 21 pending a June 18 hearing in front of the state dental commission. Patel runs two clinics in Enfield and Torrington.

"Patel has been ordered to stay away from his patients after one died and another spent six days in the hospital," state health officials said.

The horror of Gan's botched procedure came after a December incident, when a 55-year-old man "aspirated the throat pack" and was rushed to the hospital. The victim stopped breathing and spent six days in the hospital after suffering heart and lung damage.

Pakaad key do laath maro pechwarey main, mazak bana key rakh diya hai profession ka.

So, this piece warrants a place in PDF simply because the dentist in question happened to be Indian? Or is there any other deeper issue that is escaping my sight and mind?

So, this piece warrants a place in PDF simply because the dentist in question happened to be Indian? Or is there any other deeper issue that is escaping my sight and mind?

you can change the identity to Pakistani i have no issue.

The main point here can we technically in medical profession extract 20 teeth at a time ???

here the dentists dont even extract two at a time.

if any medical practitioner is on forum he or she can elaborate

Pakaad key do laath maro pechwarey main, mazak bana key rakh diya hai profession ka.

same the situation here. one of the most neglected sectors. But i wonder how they slip in USA ?

That's why i hate dentists , they are noob .

I call them "Second class" Medical professionals. And this guy should be banned to even touch medical appliances .

That is the worst way to die. I fell sorry for that guy and the family.

:( these idiots can damage your healthy teeth too .

:argh:

PTI | May 23, 2014, 06.14 PM IST

NEW YORK: The license of an Indian dentist was revoked in the US after he attempted to extract 20 teeth from the mouth of a 64-year-old woman in one sitting which led to her death.

The dentist, Dr Rashmi Patel was performing the procedure on Judith Gan on February 17 when she gurgled and lost consciousness.

The procedure included placing implants in the woman's mouth after removing the teeth, according to the New York Daily News.

The paper quoted Patel's assistant as saying that he had requested him to stop the procedure before calling the emergency services.

"He wanted to complete the placement of implants as the assistant begged Patel to stop working, and finally ran out and called 911, but the patient had already flat-lined," the state department of public health wrote in a report.

"The four count petition found, among an array of other misdeeds, that Patel deviated from standard of care in that he did not timely and properly respond to Gan's oxygen desaturation and/or respiratory distress and/or cardio-pulmonary distress," state records reported.

"Gan did not have to die to receive this dental treatment and it is because of Patel's negligence that she died," said a dentist who was asked to review the case for the department of health.

Patel was also sued for malpractice by a former employee in 2009 after he performed "shoddy" dental work. Doreen Jasonis won nearly $500,000 from a jury in 2011, but the ruling was appealed and eventually ended with an out-of-court settlement.

The dentist's attorney says both clinics remain open and that Patel will fight the charges.

Indian dentist in US tries to extract 20 teeth at once, kills patient - The Times of India
Probably a Doctor Death. Good to see DeeDee back. I was hoping to see some more Indian bashing. :)

But then we know - Indians are like this only.

Tragic news, RIP. Incidents like these, as they accumulate over time, will lead to a backlash against Indian dentists. As unfair as it is, Dr. Patel should have been cognizant that he is an ethnic minority, and that his conduct could be taken as a proxy for the behavior of all Indian-Americans.

Probably a Doctor Death. Good to see DeeDee back. I was hoping to see some more Indian bashing. :)

But then we know - Indians are like this only.

why dont you take it as social issue instead of seeing Indian bashing.

why cant you debate it technically ? :)

Rotten apples like these queer the picth for the hundreds and thousands of hard working south asians in America and else where. Deport this behaya asap. 20 years at the Tihar jail is what she needs.

we have plenty of rotten ones.

i am still looking for answer can a dentist extract 20 teeth at a time ? in one go? :what:

Tragic news, RIP. Incidents like these, as they accumulate over time, will lead to a backlash against Indian dentists. As unfair as it is, Dr. Patel should have been cognizant that he is an ethnic minority, and that his conduct could be taken as a proxy for the behavior of all Indian-Americans.

No it will be treated as an isolated incident and there will be no backlash against Indian dentists in general. Besides this guy got his education in the US, I checked his webpage.

BTW this is probably the first time I have seen a guy named Rashmi, it is a girl's name.

why dont you take it as social issue instead of seeing Indian bashing.

why cant you debate it technically ? :)

we have plenty of rotten ones.

i am still looking for answer can a dentist extract 20 teeth at a time ? in one go? :what:
Because there is nothing to debate. :)

The doctor is either a psycho or faked a degree. There is really nothing technical to discuss.

Back
Top Bottom