What's new

Indian charged of selling B-2 bomber info to China

ARCHON

Reaction score

Washington: An Indian American B-2 stealth bomber engineer Noshir Gowadia is under trial in a US court on charges of selling defence secrets to China, but his lawyer says such "meaningless" information was no secret.
Gowadia, 66, who was born in India but is a naturalized US citizen, is charged with 17 counts of espionage, conspiracy, money laundering and tax offences. His trial began on Tuesday in a Federal court in Honolulu, Hawaii, and is expected to last until mid-July.
Prosecutors allege Gowadia sold classified US defence secrets about the sophisticated B-2 stealth bomber to China for less than ,000, but defence attorney argued US Air Force had already released the information.
Assistant US Attorney Kenneth Sorenson said Gowadia was "desperate" for money when he approached the Chinese government in 2003, offering to sell them top-secret American stealth technology used to block detection of missiles and warplanes, according to Honolulu Advertiser.
Gowadia made multiple visits to China in 2004 and 2005 and was paid almost ,000 for information and design work he provided, laundering the money through nonprofit foundations in Lichtenstein and bank accounts in Switzerland, according to Sorenson.
Gowadia was an aerospace engineer with Northrop Corp. (now Northrop Grumman Corp.) from 1967 to 1986, working on projects that included the B-2 Spirit bomber. Sorenson said the B-2s use extensive stealth technology that makes the aircraft difficult to detect by radar and infrared devices.
The B-2 is the United States' premier warplane and will be for at least the next 20 years, the prosecutor said. There are 20 now in service and each is worth as much as billion, Sorenson said.
Sorenson said Gowadia first came under an FBI intelligence investigation in 1999 based on suspicions that he might be trafficking in technology. The probe turned criminal in nature after customs agents secretly searched Gowadia's luggage and laptop computer when he was travelling to China in 2004, according to the prosecutor.
FBI and Air Force agents searched Gowadia's palatial Maui home in October 2005 and he was indicted on multiple federal criminal charges in November 2005.
Defense attorney David Klein belittled the value of the information and work Gowadia provided the Chinese. "Sometimes things are not what they may appear," Klein told the jury.
Gowadia left Northrop "before the B-2 ever flew" and became a teacher and independent businessman, Klein said.
Allegedly classified information that Gowadia offered to European governments and businesses was "meaningless" and some of it had already been publicly released by the US Air Force, according to the defence lawyer.
And the exhaust nozzle that Gowadia offered to design and test for the Chinese government "doesn't do anything that Mr. Gowadia said it would (do) in his e-mails," Klein said.
"Mr. Gowadia knew how far he could go and wasn't going to go any farther," the lawyer said. "The nozzle doesn't do anything and if the Chinese thought that they were getting more than they were, Noshir Gowadia was fine with that," Klein said.

I remember a few years ago a near retirement chinese american engineer at Boeing was charged with selling state secrets too to the chinese government, it turned out that all the information was in public knowledge domain but no matter -- he was thrown into jail. I think Gowadia unfortunately will probably face the same fate too...

Wow, are Indian scientists really that cheap? I guess their price reflect their level of potency...

Wow, are Indian scientists really that cheap? I guess their price reflect their level of potency...

let me see, how cheap are you!:tdown:

one guy got caught, so don't blame all of them. keep in mind next time. :tup:

Indian in US to be sentenced for selling stealth tech to China
Washington, Jan 24, PTI:

Weeks after China conducted a flight test of its new J-20 stealth fighter, a US federal court was today set to sentence Indian-American Noshir Gowadia, a former engineer of B-2 stealth bomber, who has been convicted of selling military secrets to Beijing.

In August last year, Mumbai-born Gowadia, 66, was convicted on 14 counts on charges, including conspiracy, communicating national defense, violating the arms export control act and information to aid a foreign nation.

He now faces life sentence.
Between 2003 and 2005 Gowadia made six secret trips into mainland China and exchanged numerous communications to help Chinese defense engineers design a cruise missile that is able to evade air-to-air, heat-seeking missiles, according the federal indictment against him.
According to court papers, Gowadia hid the proceeds from the transactions by directing the payments to secret Swiss bank accounts of foundations he set up in Liechtenstein, the government said in recently filed court documents.

Prosecutors alleged that Gowadia helped design an exhaust nozzle for China that gives off less heat, making it difficult for enemy infrared detectors to track the missile for which he got USD 110,000 over two years.

Gowadia worked for Northrup from 1968 to 1986, during which time he helped develop the B-2 bomber's unique propulsion system.

After his employment with Northrup ended, Gowadia continued his relationship with the US military as a private contractor.

However, following some angry dealings with the Air Force and the Los Alamos National Laboratory in 1993, Gowadia began to seek and solicit business internationally, the government said.

Burning? Ok. Considering that a few British and Americans of Pakistani origin are in the slammer for terrorist activities, is extrapolation of this justified?

You say this as if you haven't thought about this kind of extrapolation.

Come on, you can't say you haven't thought about it. I know you probably haven't said anything of the sort .

No mate. I know Pakistanis first hand. A benefactor of mine and a couple of friends, here, happen to be Pakistani.

He was American scientist when he was working on and producing high Tech Military Hardware but when he went rogue he is Indian how classic:rofl:.

Back
Top Bottom