What's new

Indian Army warns Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability if tensions break out

The Army is sticking to the old tactic of not developing border areas to ensure minimal damage and to cut off easy access for the enemy in case of an infiltration. However, this creates hurdles in the home ministry’s plan to develop remote areas and resettle the local population.

that seems more like a defeatist attitude to me. Shouldn't it be like, build as much as you want, we will protect it from whoever wants to take it form us?
"if hostilities break out, we wont be able to defend the road" thats straight on admitting that they cant do their job?

that seems more like a defeatist attitude to me. Shouldn't it be like, build as much as you want, we will protect it from whoever wants to take it form us?
"if hostilities break out, we wont be able to defend the road" thats straight on admitting that they cant do their job?

Might be the other way . If enemy comes to well inside in our place. ( which is non developed roads to move around ) our Air Force can deal with it in some handful of sorties . Thanks to the natural resistance of Himalaya ! Enemy might not get re supply nor air support while crawling on the undeveloped roads !

Anyway if our enemies cross the border , they r their own . It's like asking how your thanks giving turkey to be sever ?

Roasted or grilled !

A truly brilliant discussion, where neither set of experts seems to have even the most elementary idea about the topography on the Indian side and on the Tibetan side.

Why is it that on the Chinese side, they can build road after road after road, joining the towns, taking traffic towards the border and backward onto arterial roads, and why can they build big, broad roads?

Well, obviously because they are supermen and have no fear of heights, also because their roads fly over ten-thousand foot gulfs with no side-rails, and their traffic can, on need, pile up four deep, thus achieving four lane traffic on a single constructed lane.

Why is it that on the Indian side, we can build only one road at a time, narrow winding tracks bordering precipices which finally reach points hundreds of miles, oops, fifty miles, was it, dear @Chinese-Dragon?

Again, obvious; the Chinese, the Pakistanis, the Bangladeshis have all figured it out. The Indians building these roads are confused, cowardly morons, who can't see that roads bring health, wealth and happiness, sometimes in that order; they can't see that putting four lane highways has made China the great power that she is.

For the rest of humanity, a mathematical problem, broken into many parts:
  1. Average height of Tibetan plateau - 14,800 feet;
  2. Average height of Indian sub-continent - 2,000 feet;
  3. Difference in (average) height - 12,800 feet;
  4. Point from which the descent starts - watershed between plateau and sub-continent;
  5. Border between political Tibet and political India - McMahon Line;
  6. Definition of McMahon Line - watershed between plateau and sub-continent
I wonder if the problem can assemble itself into tidy little components.

Actually,there is nothing on border,and as it is mountainous areas,it remains as natural obstacle for any such misadventure for any invasion force.No Armour or Support lines,invasion will fail pretty fast,because without these there is no hope to break containment placed by Indian Army.

But I'm for developments.The misconception of not developing is ultimately harming us more than gain.
More ever its not economically viable to build and maintain such roads in remote region.

What will be there to defend in sparsely populated region. Allow them in and bog them down. Cut their supply lines and odds will even out. Wonder why chinese withdrew after 1962 clash ?

With the Army raising fears that its proximity to China could make it a liability in case of a confrontation. The objection has irked the state government, and the matter could end up in a tussle between the home and defence ministries.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Act East Policy, pushing for development in the neglected Northeastern states, could be severely affected now the Army is opposing the mega road project, which costs between Rs 30,000 and Rs 40,000 crore and would connect Tawang with Vijoynagar, bordering Myanmar.

While initial construction between Tawang and Dirang is done, the work ahead is yet to begin, sources said.

Sources said local leaders from the state will be writing a protest letter to the prime minister.

“The matter has been brought to my knowledge and I will call a meeting of officials from home and defence ministry along with state officials to sort out the issues,” said Kiren Rijiju, Minister of State for Home Affairs, who also represents Arunachal Pradesh.

The Army is sticking to the old tactic of not developing border areas to ensure minimal damage and to cut off easy access for the enemy in case of an infiltration. However, this creates hurdles in the home ministry’s plan to develop remote areas and resettle the local population.

Sources said that since there is no infrastructure, locals have been pushed as far as 50 km from the border, posing a threat from Chinese forces who could claim it to be their territory in the event of a face-off.

The road has also been planned considering the large-scale migration of people from border areas and the need to push them back by creating all basic amenities.

“They should be happy that the road is close to the border. It can be a boon for the troops for swift mobilisation,” said an official.

Pasang Dorjee, an MLA from Arunachal Pradesh, said the Army is creating hurdles for the road project that will affect development in the area.

“Instead of saying that the road should be closer to the border, like China did, the Army is saying it should not be along the border.”

While the lack of infrastructure and roads on the Indian side has been an old grievance for the locals, the situation across the border is completely different.

“Chinese forces have top-class roads till their border outposts. The villages and towns are well inhabited and have excellent infrastructure. If not match them, we need to at least achieve 10 per cent of what they have,” said a government official.

Earlier Beijing had also registered a protest against the road project as it could complicate the border dispute between India and China.

India has been concerned with the development of areas across the border, and with China’s own expanding road network.

High time Army should discard this stupid strategy

Agreed, high time this strategy is junked

your thoughts @Abingdonboy

I am glad you think so. It is good for us as long as you think like this, as we would rather face a stupid and over-confident opposition than a sensible and down-to-earth one. Keep up the good work.

Over-confidence are not usually associated with Chinese, and you know who is better fit the title.

But without good border infrastructure, how can you possibly hope to win a conflict on said border? China's border infrastructure allows us to achieve a much stronger force concentration at the conflict point, whereas India's own soldiers will have to manually trek over 50+ km on foot just to reach the border. By the time they arrive on the border, everything will have been finished already.
Good point. Even though I'm unsure of what infra we have on our side. You have a valid argument.

Over-confidence are not usually associated with Chinese, and you know who is better fit the title.

I must be frank.

Until about six months or so, I had the greatest respect for the self-restraint shown by one class of Chinese commentators, who in their sobriety and balance of views represented all that I most admired about that ancient and glorious civilisation.

No longer.

Now I see only a self-confident strut and a condescending attitude even in the best of them, even, may I dare to say this, in you, dear Dungeness. Now I read only that it is time that Asia got used to the idea of Chinese domination, as that was the natural condition for Asia to be in, and had been so from time immemorial. I read that none of the surrounding neighbours are even capable of challenging China in her march to hegemony; gone are all the loud protests and complaints of the hegemony of others that was once the staple of a restrained Chinese post. I read that in combinations or singly, the neighbouring countries had better assess whether they are capable of doing anything practical to resist China's might, and if not, why are they unnecessarily irritating a power that would otherwise, subject to its wishes and desires being honoured with due despatch, be a benevolent friend and guide to these 'smaller' nations.

So your statement might have been true earlier. I regret that it is no longer true, and I regret that the uniform voice that we hear is of a tyrant in the making, expressing its will to exercise power over other nations in unmistakable terms.

I am afraid that it is more frightening to hear responsible Chinese voices joining in this chorus of self-adulation and in this self-satisfied air, than it is to see and to hear our own lunatic fringe, whose antics seem so childish and immature next to the spine-chilling movement forward taking place in China.

I must be frank.

Until about six months or so, I had the greatest respect for the self-restraint shown by one class of Chinese commentators, who in their sobriety and balance of views represented all that I most admired about that ancient and glorious civilisation.

No longer.

Now I see only a self-confident strut and a condescending attitude even in the best of them, even, may I dare to say this, in you, dear Dungeness. Now I read only that it is time that Asia got used to the idea of Chinese domination, as that was the natural condition for Asia to be in, and had been so from time immemorial. I read that none of the surrounding neighbours are even capable of challenging China in her march to hegemony; gone are all the loud protests and complaints of the hegemony of others that was once the staple of a restrained Chinese post. I read that in combinations or singly, the neighbouring countries had better assess whether they are capable of doing anything practical to resist China's might, and if not, why are they unnecessarily irritating a power that would otherwise, subject to its wishes and desires being honoured with due despatch, be a benevolent friend and guide to these 'smaller' nations.

So your statement might have been true earlier. I regret that it is no longer true, and I regret that the uniform voice that we hear is of a tyrant in the making, expressing its will to exercise power over other nations in unmistakable terms.

I am afraid that it is more frightening to hear responsible Chinese voices joining in this chorus of self-adulation and in this self-satisfied air, than it is to see and to hear our own lunatic fringe, whose antics seem so childish and immature next to the spine-chilling movement forward taking place in China.

Joe, thank you very much for your long write up, and I have to admit I am actually flattered for you good words, as you are one of only few PDF members who's posts I will read carefully with respect. You left PDF a while ago for the treatment you received from your countrymen, maybe for the very same reasons that I respect you, intelligent, cultivated, well read, and not being a Hindu Chauvinist.

I do not hesitate to admit that I have engaged in many emotional discussions with many Indian members, including some usually more level-headed Elite members in the last few day since this NSG fiasco broke out , and I am not always cool and calm. Sometimes I use the same fault logic of my opponent to shoot back.

I understand perfectly India's desire to be in the so called "elite club" of NSG, and I also understand Indian members angry towards China, the only evil in the eyes of many your countrymen. What I can not comprehend is why Indians got this sense of Entitlement while asking for an unprecedented exception to the existing rules. Through NSG issue really did not come to hot topic in various Chinese forums, it is a very big deal in India society and on PDF. Reading those endless UNIFORM China bashing, I feel the desire to voice my view and ask questions to our Indian friends. Unfortunately, besides abusive language, I have not got any straight answer from Indian members, including some with elite title.

While you are pointing finger at me, would you also exam your own countrymen's behaviors and their reasoning in the last few days? This time, I failed to hear your dissenting voice in this fiasco.

Joe, thank you very much for your long write up, and I have to admit I am actually flattered for you good words, as you are one of only few PDF members who's posts I will read carefully with respect. You left PDF a while ago for the treatment you received from your countrymen, maybe for the very same reasons that I respect you, intelligent, cultivated, well read, and not being a Hindu Chauvinist.

I do not hesitate to admit that I have engaged in many emotional discussions with many Indian members, including some usually more level-headed Elite members in the last few day since this NSG fiasco broke out , and I am not always cool and calm. Sometimes I use the same fault logic of my opponent to shoot back.

I understand perfectly India's desire to be in the so called "elite club" of NSG, and I also understand Indian members angry towards China, the only evil in the eyes of many your countrymen. What I can not comprehend is why Indians got this sense of Entitlement while asking for an unprecedented exception to the existing rules. Through NSG issue really did not come to hot topic in various Chinese forums, it is a very big deal in India society and on PDF. Reading those endless UNIFORM China bashing, I feel the desire to voice my view and ask questions to our Indian friends. Unfortunately, besides abusive language, I have not got any straight answer from Indian members, including some with elite title.

While you are pointing finger at me, would you also exam your own countrymen's behaviors and their reasoning in the last few days? This time, I failed to hear your dissenting voice in this fiasco.

I cannot tell you how gratified I feel at your well-argued, very logical, very reasonable post. May I luxuriate in it for a while before replying? This is the kind of level that you had 'trained' me to expect, and it is so nice to have it back!

Thank you and bear with me as I recover from a long walk which has left me sticky and in urgent need of a shower! Be right back.

I find this hypocrisy of China amusing, exploiting the NSG rules to deny India entry while at the same time making mockery of UNCLOS arbitration @Joe Shearer NSG fall-out pun unintended will be observed once China which is a signatory of UNCLOS refuses to abide with an adverse judgement leading to it's unceremonious exit. Similar issues will be raked in more forcefully when it comes to proliferation of nuclear tech to Pakistan and NoKo during subsequent NSG meetings.

China made a spartan stand and now it will be know what exactly does it costs.

I find this hypocrisy of China amusing, exploiting the NSG rules to deny India entry while at the same time making mockery of UNCLOS arbitration @Joe Shearer NSG fall-out pun unintended will be observed once China which is a signatory of UNCLOS refuses to abide with an adverse judgement leading to it's unceremonious exit. Similar issues will be raked in more forcefully when it comes to proliferation of nuclear tech to Pakistan and NoKo during subsequent NSG meetings.

China made a spartan stand and now it will be know what exactly does it costs.

This is because when China signed UNCLOS, they have a provisions of the proviso, which stated their territorial disputes are not subject to UNCLOS litigation. China has the legal ground to refuse to abide to the ruling.

This is because when China signed UNCLOS, they have a provisions of the proviso, which stated their territorial disputes are not subject to UNCLOS litigation. China has the legal ground to refuse to abide to the ruling.

Similarly it is not required for India to sign the NPT, it just needs to voluntary "implement" the NPT provisions. Also can you provide a suitable portion of UNLOS charter where it says territorial disputes are not in purview of UNCLOS? I failed to find it

Dear friends, Don't we think that due to this hypocritic behaviour of Army has left millions in the mountain still wishing for development better jobs. Politician think about themselves refer to latest "Siachen Issue" hyped in news and in turn Army has it's on mentality to pass the buck in being inefficient of securing our border. Chinese too have developed their border neighbouring areas, aren't they afraid of Indian invasion or are they just self confident about themselves and relying on locals to pass information in such cases. Due to underdevelopment these people turns towards plains and face racism and are considered outcast..

P S : What is our Army afraid of???

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom