What's new

Indian Army targets AI-powered battle tanks with eye on China

FOOLS_NIGHTMARE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Indian Army is eyeing the "Future Tank" platform which it intends to induct by 2030.
1622893890153.png

'Future Tanks' by 2030

Nearly a year after India's Bhishma tanks were deployed in the Himalayas amid tensions between India and China along the Line of Control(LAC), according to the Request for Information(RFI) floated by the defence ministry, the Indian Army is looking to procure new generation "Future Tank" platform for "Future Ready Combat Vehicle" (FRCV) in a phased manner.
The Army intends to induct the "Future Tanks" by 2030.
The Indian Army has sought foreign takers for the tender and plans to procure the tanks under the "strategic partnership" route.
The RFI says that "in conformity with the emerging future threat spectrum and the technological advancements, the Indian Army intends to induct a new "state-of-the-art" "technology-enabled" tank to operate in varied terrain profile (High Altitude Areas, Plains/Riverine, Deserts/Semi-Deserts) across the current and future spectrum of conflict, which will remain in service for the next 40-50 years as the ‘Main Battle Tank’ of the Indian Army."

197188-12.jpg

Technological advancements in tanks

As far as the induction of the tanks are concerned, the RFI says due to the rapid pace of technological advancements taking place every three or four years bringing about new systems and concepts, the phased induction will thus cater for this aspect and facilitate product improvement and upgradation.
The RFI clearly states that the government has invited "responses only from foreign OEMs" with the end-user of the equipment being the Indian Army.
The last date of "acceptance of receipt of response" has been set for September 15.
Watch this space for more...

197190-9.jpg

Multi-layered protection

The Army is looking for a "modern" battle tank platform that is not only superior but also "incorporates niche technologies" i.e Artificial Intelligence, see-through armour along with the ability to operate in a "network-centric environment."
The new tanks are also required to be in continuous operations by day and night in real-time awareness, all-terrain agility and high mobility, precision lethal firepower, multi-layered protection with the use of niche technologies.
Not just this, along with the tank the company should also be able to provide a family of combat vehicles for example recovery vehicle, bridge layer tank based on modularity and standardisation of platform.

197191-10.jpg

Auto target tracker with hunter-killer capability

The medium-weight class tank would incorporate a 2- 3 crew pod concept with ammunition able to operate in a minimum temperature as in high altitude area and maximum range as existing in deserts terrain with corresponding humidity conditions.
The firepower would include a large calibre, lethal, modular and upgradable weapon system with capability to destroy and offer countermeasures to varied threats. The new tanks would also have multipurpose "smart munitions" both for main and secondary armaments with a gun tube-launched anti-tank guided missile.
It would also be required to have a digital fire control system to incorporate, AI-enabled target acquisition and multiple-auto target tracker with hunter-killer capability and eye-safe laser range finder.

197192-18.jpg

Auto-loading with minimum intervention

The Army needs the next generation battle tank to have high detection recognition and identification ranges with thermal night fighting and "lock on target" capability with smoke dischargers with anti-thermal and laser capability.
The Army wants the battle tank to have a loading system to provide auto-loading with minimum intervention and engagement time.
The army has insisted on the tank should be lightweight in order to achieve higher operational advantage, with "soft kill systems" and other countermeasures meaning laser warning system and RF sensors.

197194-15.jpg

India's Bhishma tank

The tanks are also required to have Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA), Hard and Soft Kill Measures, Chemical Biological Radiological Nuclear (CBRN) Protection & Instant Fire Detection and Suppression System (IFDSS) along with "high trafficability" in marginal and boggy terrain and operational ranges in cross country and on the road.
During the India-China standoff in eastern Ladakh last year, the Army had moved its premier T-90 battle tanks to eastern Ladakh in late June in the aftermath of the Galwan clash between Indian soldiers and Chinese troops even as India and Chinese commanders began their long-drawn talks to disengage along the LAC.
The Russian-built T-90 Bhishma tanks were acquired by India in 2001. India has already been boosting its T-90 tank capacity for several years keeping in mind the growing security risk along the LAC.
Last July the Indian army had moved the tanks to the Line of Actual Control putting its best military firepower at the head of its defensive and offensive capabilities to take on the PLA.

For more follow the link below.

https://www.wionews.com/photos/indi...-389288#indias-first-t-90s-bhisma-tank-389284

how are they inducting an AI tank when they haven't inducted the Arjun Tank they have been working on for 3-4 decades. Its been getting developed since 1974. At this point I'm not sure wtf they are "developing" considering the gun, engine and transmission and munitions are all imported.

Nice talk and daydreaming stuff of AI when India doesn't understand AI and has made no work and no organisation which has made any work on AI. Machine learning solution for tank is really just battlefield command management. Tanks with auto tracking already near India ... in VT-4 and all the Type 99 and Type 15 tanks. Old technology.

The Chinese are masters of Electronic and cyber warfare.

What is stopping the Chinese from Hacking into an IA AI powered armoured regiment and turning the regiment on the Indians ?

how are they inducting an AI tank when they haven't inducted the Arjun Tank they have been working on for 3-4 decades. Its been getting developed since 1974. At this point I'm not sure wtf they are "developing" considering the gun, engine and transmission and munitions are all imported.

so when the output from all imported materials comes towards you, please be sure to tell your boys on the battlefield...it's imported - it's imported, and hence it won't kill us. lol

my boys? lol wtf.

this hunk of junk will be lucky to leave the factory, let alone be seen on a battlefield. Didn't the indian army reject its induction? last I heard it wasn't even in operation.

Yeah, your boys - you are not fooling anyone here. lol.

If you are asking_ if the new generation AI tanks have been inducted ala the reported article. Reading from the article, it clearly states that it is a future project. Not sure how a future project could be rejected and be refused from being inducted today.

Yeah, your boys - you are not following anyone here. lol.

? idk what you mean by "your boys". you think I'm pakistani or something? why the fk would i care if this shitty tank ever goes on a battlefield.

I'm just clowning on it b/c of all these comedic presentations by people who can't seem to translate anything in their Powerpoint presentations to anything concrete.

Can't even put a 40+ year old tank design into mass production, and we see people mouthing off about "AI tanks".

? idk what you mean by "your boys". you think I'm pakistani or something? why the fk would i care if this shitty tank ever goes on a battlefield.

I'm just clowning on it b/c of all these comedic presentations by people who can't seem to translate anything in their Powerpoint presentations to anything concrete.

Can't even put a 40+ year old tank design into mass production, and we see people mouthing off about "AI tanks".

You are clowning for sure. especially, when you think a future designed tank, as clearly stated in the article, is a 40-year-old tank, absurdly. Given the 'sensitive' tone behind your comments, you do seem to care if any Indian tank gets on the battlefield. I wonder why :yes4:

a 40-year-old tank

this is a reference to the arjun tank, in care you aren't able to pick up context clues. What I am saying is that its silly to talk about "AI tanks" when the state is incapable of mass producing a 40+ tank design.

this is a reference to the arjun tank, in care you aren't able to pick up context clues. What I am saying is that its silly to talk about "AI tanks" when the state is incapable of mass producing a 40+ tank design.

Don't you think it's a bit silly to speak to something when you never actually cared to research the facts? i.e. your claim about the Arjun tank NOT being inducted?

all hat no cattle talking about how that tank was not being inducted- when all I did was a quick 1 min google search and it showed to be otherwise. And that's why I said you are not fooling anyone here

here's what I found from Indian military sources on procurement of the Arjun tank, induction, and follow-on orders.

Google is your friend. QUOTE:

In 2009, the first Arjun regiment of the Indian Army had 45 tanks. ... In 2010, the Indian army ordered another 124 Arjuns. The Ministry of Defence ordered another 118 units of the Arjun Mk-1A. These are the units being inducted now at a revised cost of over Rs 8,400 crore.

Last edited:
Any future Indian MBT procurement will be largely targeted against Pakistan.....not China. My quess is that they will end up acquiring a few hundred non russian foreign designs.

Back
Top Bottom