What's new

Indian Army shows interest in light tanks for defense along Chinese border

Doklam height 14,000 feet.
Himalaya height = 29,000 feet.

How are jet engines of commercial airliners performing unperturbed at 40,000 feet high?
Because those are take off from a normal airport,you need higher lift for taking off,which can be achieved by high density medium. But once you airborne what you required is to maintain the push,in that case denser medium give drag,but with high drag will reduce and lift force also reduced,Since you already airborne this won't be a problem.
What I mean to say is that if you are taking off a high altitude airfield,your payload capacity will reduce.

Only solution against chinese border is to install more and more brahmos batteries. Militarized A.N islands heavily.
AN,we should concentrate more on that. I prefer one or two batteries of s400 there.

I hope you understand difference in working of a compression ignition and gas turbine engine.
A turbocharger is no match for quantity of air initial compressor stage blades of a GT engine can push towards ignition chamber / turbine stage. ergo even in much lower density, a jet engine can produce far more power than a diesel engine on a slightly higher density mountain top.
View attachment 423510

There are lot of factors between a gasoline, diesel or jet engine.
But the crucial thing here is air fuel mix ratio against the air pressure (low AT).

The ideal gasoline ratio is 14.5 :1
Diesel air fuel ratio is varying, anywhere from 18 to 65.
While its way up when it comes to jet engines constantly combusting at 40,000 feet plus despite lesser amount of oxygen in the air at those heights.

Coming to your concern:
Secondly in low pressure atmosphere, engines even with turbochargers perform at lower power

No they don't.
Engines are compensated with more volume of air into the AFR mix.
The more you press the gas pedal, the bigger the (volume/mass) entrance/influx of air.

Because those are take off from a normal airport,you need higher lift for taking off,which can be achieved by high density medium. But once you airborne what you required is to maintain the push,in that case denser medium give drag,but with high drag will reduce and lift force also reduced,Since you already airborne this won't be a problem.
What I mean to say is that if you are taking off a high altitude airfield,your payload capacity will reduce.

Its about combustion of the engine against the low oxygen rate at higher altitude, that is being talked about.

We are not talking about less drag encountered by less dense air.

@#hydra#

Dont get mixed up with control surfaces/air drag.

BTW, tell me some, if you know some:

quiz13.png

bmp-t_p-106.jpg

upload_2017-9-6_12-57-34.jpeg

DRDO's light tank made in the 90s, no interest from IA

LhIu0Ga.png

One of the variants for the Kestrel is a light tank. Eventually, surely the tracked FICV will get LT turret.

Not sure if tank is an effective weapon in those high rarified battlefields in Himalayas. I suppose India should look to beef up on long range rocket launchers and artillery (M777 is a really good choice given its weight and reliability).
IMHO India shouldn't get fazed by Chinese induction of light tank (there already are reports it ain't really light), but focus on developing roads and airstrips along eastern borders.
@Joe Shearer Sir your views. can we expect to see a tank battle in hypothetical scenario of war in eastern theatre?
Will get back to you as soon as I get back the use of my system.

If I told you the actual figure ; you would faint

and you think I will believe people like you? :D :D :D

The number is actually more than 4500 if we count the second line units equipped with T 55s and Vickers.

Bhai T-55's are dead now so forget it.

Its 2410 T-72 upgraded again & again :D :D :D
850 T-90MS
148 Arjun as mentioned in the above article but still these tanks can't fight and have issues

ashok321, your speciality is trolling.please stick to it. As you go higher there is less oxygen. As you go higher diesel engine will refuse to work at optimum level due to lack of oxygen, no amount of pressing gas pedal will make a difference. You need basic education in chemistry about oxidation as well.I see that Mechanical engineering is way beyond your comprehension level.don't litter the forum with your verbal diarrhoea.

Gone are those days of carburetor.
Now most of the cars come with fuel injection and most of the engines come with engine sensors:

temfgrtfgrt567y.png

Sensors help identify airflow mass:

temfhfhgythgb.png

In the most serious cases, you have to change the PROM as per the OEM guidelines.

tem56yt6y56yt6.png

My car can not be diagnosed without Mercedes-Benz Star Diagnosis System which must be connected to troubleshoot the fault/s

f = fault
F= Major fault.
This is preliminary.
My dashboard also enumerates how many malfunctions there exist.

Last edited:
Not sure if tank is an effective weapon in those high rarified battlefields in Himalayas. I suppose India should look to beef up on long range rocket launchers and artillery (M777 is a really good choice given its weight and reliability).
IMHO India shouldn't get fazed by Chinese induction of light tank (there already are reports it ain't really light), but focus on developing roads and airstrips along eastern borders.
@Joe Shearer Sir your views. can we expect to see a tank battle in hypothetical scenario of war in eastern theatre?

Certainly, there isn't much scope for tanks on the eastern theatre, in Arunachal, Bhutan and Sikkim. The topography simply doesn't permit much tank movement. If I remember correctly, the PLA used artillery mainly at their starting points, from relatively fixed positions, but the development of the attack was done largely by infantry armed with typical heavy infantry weapons - 2" and 3" mortars, LMGs, MMGs and HMGs, and the like. Today that role would be filled out by including MANPADs, as you have suggested.

As for M777 and rocket launchers, I am not sure what you mean.

The M777 will need to be transferred from point to point as the attacks develop. It is meant to be used with helicopter transfers. The picture in my mind's eye is the equivalent of the Royal Horse Artillery, but in a modern avatar, the Rashtriya Heliborne Artillery :p:

Kidding aside, it will take years of doctrine development, development of operating procedures and rigorous and sustained combined arms training and battle drills, and realistic simulation of enemy action, reflecting their strong points, before any kind of effective results can be visualised.

About the long-range rocket launchers, I feel uncomfortable. What kind of rockets/ missiles did you have in mind? Cruise missiles, ballistic missiles or multi-barrel rocket launchers? You will understand my concerns once you conceptual possible usage along these axes.

Looks like IA top brass will have another opportunity to fill their pocket with kickbacks and commissions. Even if GOI asks DRDO to develop a light tank, the IA will eventually reject it by making unreasonable changes in the requirements until they eventually kill the project.

Also, light tanks would have no benefit against their counterparts with their extremely light armor for both sides. IA should go with a modified variant of the Tata Kestrel by integrating 105mm gun and better armor. NDA govt should also make sure that IA doesn't file any RFIs to foreign vendors for these tanks

So what's your solution for diesel engines at high altitude.do you think Add more spark plug to diesel engine !. Answer fast I'm waiting.

Go and fool yourself.
Diesel engines don't use any spark plugs.

Bhai T-55's are dead now so forget it.
Well, you guys still operate over 900 or so Type 85s which are Chinese copies of T 54s with their original D 10T main guns.So our T 55s with their L7 105 high-velocity guns (at least 15% more powerful than the D10T) and the same level of armor protection should fare favorably, as should the upgraded Vickers.

Its 2410 T-72 upgraded again & again :D :D :D
850 T-90MS
Nah, the number of T 90s is likely to be far higher than that since none of the estimates account for the license produced T 90S which are being manufactured by OFB!!The 800 or so is the number of systems we bought directly from the Russians.
148 Arjun as mentioned in the above article but still these tanks can't fight and have issues
The problems are being sorted out as we speak as spares are being acquired now.

Last edited:
I have studied Mechanical engineering for 4 years. I told you not to check internet and answer. Okay you tell me the cycle diesel engine works on. Scared you will be exposed.

Please Spare him.
He is one of the very few posters on PDF who are very consistent with their "Agenda" ( Read "Modi" and "Troll" ).

Im surprised you are still not labelled as a "Sanghi" !

Dude, Carry on with Technical Inputs for Readers who are interested in Knowledge rather wasting time on keyboard Wars.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom