What's new

Indian Army shows interest in light tanks for defense along Chinese border

Waste of time,light tanks cant do anything against infantry with modern ATGM's.
:tup:
Lighter tanks if i'm not wrong, carry much lighter armor and hence for given explosive energy of Anti Tank Armament, are more vulnerable.
Secondly in low pressure atmosphere, engines even with turbochargers perform at lower power and fuel efficiency, reducing maneuverability.
Therefore it is a very valid suggestion that buildup of defensive capabilities like Apache, Rudra is much better option and economical too perhaps.

TATA has developed a light tank.

watch

Hi! @DavidSling
Can you share more information about Carmel Combat Vehicle?
I watched the video and it appears this is an optimized weapon for flat and urban terrains where use of a heavy tank would be prohibitive from
a. Deployment time
b. Collateral damage
Any idea if this actually has been tested on cold mountainous terrains?

:tup:
Lighter tanks if i'm not wrong, carry much lighter armor and hence for given explosive energy of Anti Tank Armament, are more vulnerable.
Secondly in low pressure atmosphere, engines even with turbochargers perform at lower power and fuel efficiency, reducing maneuverability.
Therefore it is a very valid suggestion that buildup of defensive capabilities like Apache, Rudra is much better option and economical too perhaps.

How about apv's? With some firepower

Wow!! This is high tec stuff. Is this for real or still underdevelopmenT?

Hi! @DavidSling
Can you share more information about Carmel Combat Vehicle?
I watched the video and it appears this is an optimized weapon for flat and urban terrains where use of a heavy tank would be prohibitive from
a. Deployment time
b. Collateral damage
Any idea if this actually has been tested on cold mountainous terrains?
Is Israel going to induct these tanks?

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/israels-future-tank-the-carmel.496550/

Israel will have prototype in 2 or 3 years, and yes, they will be deployed by the Israeli army along with couple of other systems that has been introduces already (most of them remain classified for the public) such as IronVision, Trophy 2,Spike 2
u can see some of them here https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/isra...dict-future-battlefields.516010/#post-9836565

Last edited:
Waste of time,light tanks cant do anything against infantry with modern ATGM's.
I do agree that light tank or a MBT will not be good for the conditions there but movement of forces require a platform. As suggested by @Kinetic Kestral is a great option. Our advantage lives in having high grounds and quick response.

How about apv's? With some firepower
Again, it's a compromise.
Not as a general response but since OP mentions of deployment of LW tanks against China and given the topology, my viewpoint is that an effective defensive firepower has more chances of winning a conflict than a compromised offensive one.
However if we change the scenario to flat and lower altitude marshy or flatlands, equation again changes.

Secondly in low pressure atmosphere, engines even with turbochargers perform at lower power

Doklam height 14,000 feet.
Himalaya height = 29,000 feet.

How are jet engines of commercial airliners performing unperturbed at 40,000 feet high?

How are jet engines of commercial airliners performing unperturbed at 40,000 feet high?
I hope you understand difference in working of a compression ignition and gas turbine engine.
A turbocharger is no match for quantity of air initial compressor stage blades of a GT engine can push towards ignition chamber / turbine stage. ergo even in much lower density, a jet engine can produce far more power than a diesel engine on a slightly higher density mountain top.
engineanimated.GIF

Last edited:
Only solution against chinese border is to install more and more brahmos batteries. Militarized A.N islands heavily.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom